Update for 2013 Job Hunt

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachTN, Aug 8, 2013.

1. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

I tell ya, at this point if I do not laugh, I will cry...

Had an interview yesterday, it was listed as a Middle School position, so I was excited, but it turned out to be a Math position. I knew right off the bat they were not interested in me because #1, the interview lasted maybe 10 minutes, and #2, they only asked a few questions that were on their form. It was record time that I received my rejection message - 2 hours.

I am still trying. School started today in my district, but positions are still posting. I had lunch at an Asian restaurant today and my fortune cookie said "A pleasant surprise is in store for you soon."

Today I applied for a position and a principal emailed me to express interest in interviewing me for an interim position.

I am trying to get admitted to a local community college and will try to take two Economics courses (macro and micro) so that I can pass the Econ praxis in November. I know that if I have that endorsement, I will have a position next year for sure.

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 8, 2013

Oh rats. :mad:

That fortune cookie thing could be a very good sign! Here's hoping.

Interim (I like that much better than LTS) positions can sometimes lead to full time, as you no doubt already know....so at least there is hope for that! :hugs:

4. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

I interview Wednesday for the interim. It is a Science position, so I am not hopeful, but, I have interviewed before at this school, so it is possible that they liked what they saw the first time.

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 9, 2013

That sounds promising. Is it a year-long gig?

The one I applied for is only Aug.--Dec., but has the potential for longer if the teacher decides to extend her maternity leave.

Ugh...I said I wasn't going to sub again...but now faced with nothing I'm considering it. I feel like it's Groundhog Day....never moving forward, lather, rinse, repeat....

6. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

It is not for the year, only 6 weeks (maternity leave maybe?). Of course, with new baby, that could extend if mom can't bear to leave him/her, has a c-section, etc.

Better yet, I got a call today from a principal to interview for (I'm guessing) an overflow position (school already started) in 7th grade Geography and Language Arts - woohoo!! The position is not even posted, so he must be looking through applications to find qualified individuals. I would absolutely LOVE to teach these subjects, so hopefully I will not need to go to the interview on Wednesday. Better yet, I have experience teaching Geography - maybe this is my "pleasant surprise." :)

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 9, 2013

That sound promising, best of luck!

8. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

Oh mercy, a third contact today from a principal! I just recently interviewed for a position with him, so he will not formally interview me again (it was just last week, so really no need), but he wanted to let me know that he is going to have me in his mind for an opening he has posted and will interview other candidates for on Monday.

Goes to show, even when school starts, the hiring is still on!

9. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Aug 9, 2013

Oooh! That's my dream job - middle school social studies (and I would not mind teaching LA, either). Best of luck to you!! I love when fortune cookies actually come true:)

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2013

Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you!