UPDATE: Dilemma.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by roseteacher12, Aug 11, 2009.

1. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

I had a second interview today for an aide position that I think went well but I know they are interviewing quite a few people so who knows. BUT i'm trying to think positive and that I will get an offer. Now eher's the thing I also have a second interview thursday for a private type schooll teaching K. The aide position will be made final today. Its an hour away and that stinks! but it working with all grade levels which could be good for my resume. I dont want to turn it down either because what if I didnt get the K job? I dont really know what to do? If i get an offer should I just suck it up and take it? Will the experience be enough to help me get noticed next year? What would you do?

UPDATE: I just got the call for the aide job. I have to call them back tomorrow to accept. The K job pays 6,000 more a year and is a teaching job. It is essentially in a "prestigious daycare" type place (the Goddard School). However, I wont find out if I have it until Friday. What to do? My mom says Im being stupid and to just take the job that was already offered to me. I'm so confused!!!!

3. Fordham82

Fordham82 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I don't have any advice on what you should do with this, but I wanted to say good luck and I'm sure you'll get it!
    How did the g-n-t interview go?
    My extended school year program is over tomorrow so I'll be back to job searching full time- I wish NJ wasn't so tough!!

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

I'd say take the aide position if it's offered to you. They will need to have you come in to fill out the paperwork, and you can always make the appointment to do that after your other interview. That would leave you open to accept the teaching position if it is offered.

5. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

thanks, I actually just got the call that is was offered to me!

the g&t interview wasnt quite what i was hoping it would be. oh well! I really didnt have high expectations for that so I'm too upset.

6. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

I was thinking this but it seems like a really jerky thing to do lol.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

Isn't getting a job in New Jersey really tough? RIght now, you only have one job offer. I would take it. You never know what will happen.

8. Fordham82

Fordham82 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I agree with peachyness- think about thousands of hours we have spent dreading this job search. It is something- and it's yours!!!

9. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

There are fifty other candidates ready to jump on that job to take your place. The people that are hiring you for the aide position know you are overqualified and that you will be looking for a teaching position.

Do what's best for you.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

Congratulations of the offer! Is the aide job in a place where you would like to eventually teach? If so I would probably take it to get an "in" at that school. Maybe you call the Goddard school and tell them about your offer and see if they have any information for you regarding the job before you need to accept the aide position.

11. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

does anyone have advice as to which position would help me in the long run? this is my main concern to be honest...

12. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I think the aide position would help you in the long run. You'll have experience in a district and if they have openings next year hopefully they'll consider you. That all depends on if this district hires their aides though.

13. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

the district isnt the most desirable for me to teach, it is a charter school and located almost an hour away. while i would obviously take a job if something came up next year it wouldnt be my first choice or even top o the list. however, a teaching job is what I'm most striving for so I guess youre right about it being a good experience for that. the K job will be my third experience in a kinder classroom so i feel like that hinders me a bit

14. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

Yikes...because of the drive alone (lots of money in gas), I would definitely take the Goddard job. What does your gut say?

15. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

It depends on your goals. Is the aide position in a school or district that you like? Is your goal to be a teacher in a public school? If yes, then I say stay with the aide position. It's exactly the route I am currently taking because I get to make connections in a great school district and continue to work with students k-5, which is my area of interest. Good Luck making your decision.

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

How close is the Goddard school? Go on the interview and see what they have to say... If you get a good feeling from them, let them know that you are waiting to hear back from another school (do not say you accepted) and tell them you would much rather work for their school. You will know after the interview which is the best fit for you. If the other school insists that you come in immediately to sign your paperwork, take it as a sign that is where you are meant to be. It is a sure thing... the other is a maybe.:)

17. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

welll my gut is very confused haha ive been going back and forth a million times...goddard school more money, aide position in a school, goddard position closer, aide position more experience with different grade levels, goddard position my own class to teach, aide position kind of floating all over the place..etc etc you get the picture! I know its silly to worry so much when i havent got an offer from the goddard school yet but im just worried about what to do when calling back the other school tomorrow. do i just say thanks accpet set a time to come in and makes sure i will find out from the other school first? do i ask them for a few days to think it over? the godard school interview is second interview and its a "working interview" so I;ll basically be doing a demo. I feel pretty good about it but then again she interviewed over 20 people for it. ughhh i could go on forever.

18. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

the position isnt in a school district i'd stay in forever, its a charter school and far away (almost an hour) but yes my ultimate goal would be a classroom teacher.

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

Ultimately, YOU have to choose. Look at the pros. Write them down for both. Look at the cons. Write them down for both. Wait for the Goddard Interview to make that final decision. I would not ask for more time. I would verbally accept and then later come back and tell them that you had to accept an offer closer to home IF you get offered the other job. Keep in mind... The grass always looks greener.... You need to GO there and get a feel for the school before you make any decisions.

20. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

you are totally right and i really think i am going to write a list for each. i spoke to the director at the goddard school and she said they had 5 people coming back to do the lesson so thats sill a good amount of competition! I am going to go work on my lesson and my lists right now!

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

You will have to tell us your FINAL final decision when you make it. We care!:hugs:

22. ChiTownHopeful

ChiTownHopeful Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Don't worry about burning bridges you havn't built.

I've been in a similar position and I feel your pain. I worked last school year as a paraprofessional and took over a maternity leave at the end of the year. This summer I got a call for another maternity leave interview in the same district or to be a parapro again.

Long story short, I held onto the parapro job and interviewed anyways. It was a good thing I didn't turn down the parapro job because I didn't end up getting offered the maternity leave!

If I was in your position I would accept the aide position and still interview. If you get a full time teaching position, the school that offered you the aide position should understand that your goal is to be a teacher and not an aide (you wouldn't really be burning any bridges because they don't even know you yet to use them as a reference anyways!) Last year we had aides leave school mid year because they found full time teaching jobs. The principal and staff were all excited to see these individuals move on to better positions, even if it was slightly inconvenient. It was also really easy to find new people because there is no shortage of certified teachers without jobs willing to take just about anything.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Hold onto the bird you have but I would also head into the bush and see if you can grab a better one!

23. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

thank you!! im just a little bit unsure still if the goddard position would be the right way to go. it is a teaching position, more money, closer location BUT its not in a public school, for some reason that makes me really nervous, its technically a daycare/preschool. i guess i will try to stop thinking about it until i know for sure about the other position, no point in stressing about it if i dont even have to make that desicion yet

24. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

my thoughts for you

hi rose...

well I feel your pain! but heres my thought for what it's worth.

Charter school aide position...I taught 1st in a charter school for a few years, back then it was frowned upon if you were looking for a job in district and coming from a charter school, today, not so much, as they are seen as equals in the education world. The question is, is this charter school reputable? Also, if you do not have any teaching experience, this would be a good way to get some by learning from someone else, which leads me to my next question. Can you be a follower? Being an aide would mean that you would need to follow the direction of the head teacher. are you ok with that?

Goddard school is a very well known daycare. While it is considered a daycare, it is still experience in the field of education and that is the main focus. Since you would possibly have your own classroom, there would be more to "brag" about when looking for the district job. HOWEVER, there is no gaurentee that you will get that job.

If you are in a comfortable position where you can turn down the aide job and if you don't get the K job and you can still look, I would say go for the K job. Don't let the idea of a daycare setting worry you. Remember, some parents are looking for a more private setting for K, that is what the GS has to offer.

Good luck in your choice...
    kp

25. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

thanks! i did speak with the charter school today and accepted the position. i am still planning on attending the other interview and will find out by friday afternoon if i got it. at that point ill decide what Im going to do!