Update: Contacted by parents during the summer

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 9, 2007

Some of you may remember my thread about an email I got a few weeks ago from one of my third graders. He said that his mom wanted me to call her, but I didn't recognize the email address and was really confused so I email mom to the address that I had for her to try to clarify. I hadn't heard anything from her so I assumed the whole thing was a misunderstanding, but I just received an email back from her. They recently moved and this is the first chance she's had to access her own email account. She said that her son really enjoyed having me as his teacher and that he misses me. He wanted to talk to me on the phone because he wasn't sure if I'd be back at the school next school year. According to mom, he wants to talk to me one more time to thank me for being a great teacher.

Needless to say, I got the email and cried. I think this may be the best compliment I've ever gotten. I still feel a little strange about calling her cell phone, but I guess I probably should.

3. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 9, 2007

Beth 2004, You should feel very good about this compliment!!! I would have been skeptical at first, too. I would definitely call her.

4. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

Wow! That's a great compliment to receive!! You definitely made a difference in this child's life! Kudos for a job well done!! :)

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2007

How sweet! Now that you know things are ok, I would call. Maybe the mom could be another support for you in PS job interviews!

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2007

It certainly is nice to receive compliments. But I wish to caution you about calling this mom from your cellphone or home phone. If you use either one the mom will have your cellphone number and home number if she has caller ID. A teacher at my school called a mom from his cell and was then constantly called at all hours. He knew it was her because of the number popping up on the cell. This mom then passed on his number to others who began calling. It was a nightmare for him. He ended up getting a new number. I am not saying this will happen in your case but I would think it best to make your phone call from a phone where the number cannot be traced.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

I'm glad your mystery was solved. But, it I still think it was a good idea to play it safe- the mom could have contacted you originally.

Keep this in a file so you can access it when you need a lift.