Unusual school locations

Discussion in 'General Education' started by smalltowngal, Feb 16, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2008

Ok, so once again a thread has inspired me to post a new thread. Have you ever taught or heard of a school that was held in an unusual location such as an old house, etc?

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Feb 16, 2008

Well, I attended Flagler College in St. Augustine and it was a hotel when it was first built. I miss that school! It had a few secret passage ways.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2008

I taught at a small private school that was housed in two adjacent churches--the basement of one, and meeting rooms of another.

5. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Feb 16, 2008

While in the hunt for a permanent location my charter school put a bid in for an old mortuary............they didn't get it......thank goodness.

6. smalltowngal

Feb 16, 2008

BASAM, that would have been weird. I don't think I would have applied there.

little, I think a hotel would be cool. I'm sure you would have a lot of kids wanting to play on the dumbwaiter.

7. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Feb 16, 2008

A charter school in the mountains here was housed in a VERY expensive hotel for a short time while they were waiting for their building to be finished. There were LOTS of strict rules for the kids, or so I read in the paper. :)

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

Private and charter schools around here used all sorts of wierd locations in the aftermath of hurricane andrew. Malls, the air force base, church basements, hotels, you name it. If it was still standing, it got used.

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2008

I attended ninth grade in a converted mansion built by a man who made his fortune in beer production. (Private school) Had Science in a former dining room, math in one of the bedrooms, and German up in the attic in a former maid's room.

10. DannyC09

DannyC09 Rookie

Feb 16, 2008

Grocery stores...

In my Current Events class, I once read that schools districts are turning old grocery stores into schools. The open floorplans can easily be divided into classrooms and other school related spaces...

On the flip side, schools have also been turned into different uses. An old school in Frankenmuth, Migh (home to the world's larget Christmas store, Bronner's) was used as a "shopping mall" for small, indepdant stores and businesses. However, it was not within walking distance of the main drag of business and eventually failed. It is now on the market, looking for a new owner.

Also, with my home district (I go to a catholic school)'s plan, all the old schools are being replaced with new buildings. Instead of just being torn-down, the old schools haved hosted fire-frighter's, police, and Homeland Security training. After the police and HLS training, the firefrighters use them for training new recruits, some departments coming from as far away as Canada!

i've seen schools also turned into apartments and lofts. One of the wierdest was a school into a doctor's office!@

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2008

a school around here turned a post office encoder building into a school.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 16, 2008

Oh, well this is very different. In my city, one of the beautiful old HS buildings was converted into condos. I've never seen the inside since it was condos, but I took the C-BEST there when it was still a school.

My HS (private) had a converted barn for an art space. It had been remodeled, but we called it the barn.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2008

Do very many public schools remodel buildings? It seems to be a lot of charter and private schools.

14. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Feb 17, 2008

Around here there was a school that was used for an antique mall, but that closed down and they are converting it to a micro-brewery. There's also another old school around that is another antique mall.

15. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Feb 17, 2008

I forgot, there's also an old 2 story elementary school that is being converted to senior apartments.

16. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2008

Danny,

I have encountered schools made out of grocery stores here in Florida. When I was in Ohio, I observed at a beautiful school...I found out that it used to be a furniture warehouse.

I was told in the school I currently teach at, some classes used to be held at an old house down the street.

I worked at a summer camp that was held at a children's home. The kids lived in huge cottages. Some of the cottages had classrooms built right in them. They were beautiful.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 17, 2008

When our school gym burned down, we were bussed to the Seminary to use their gym for 6 months.

18. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Feb 17, 2008

Food Lion grocery stores went out of business down here in TX and many school districts bought them up to use as schools. Our district has at least one old Food Lion school and the adjacent district does as well.

I once interviewed for a job in '95 in a one room school house on an island in the middle of the Atlantic that was only one mile square. It was straight out of Little House on the Prairie (or ocean)! The schoolhouse had windows on all sides and you could see the ocean from every window.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 17, 2008

My district is converting an old hospital to be used as a magnet school for allied medical fields. Nursing, radiology tech, etc.

Also, the school I actually work in was the old food stamps office.

20. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Feb 17, 2008

Our town has a well-known historic state prison. When the high school first started, they met at the prison. (it was no longer being used as a prison) They've had their own site for a long time now, but as a tribute to that time of meeting in the prison, the high school mascot is the Criminals.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 17, 2008

Parts of our school used to be bunkers during the civil war times. One building is converted into a musuem and not used for school purposes. During certain times of the year it is open for public viewing. Of course we've added buildings so it isn't all part of the original structure.

22. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 17, 2008

This is so cool! I've never seen/heard of things like this.

23. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Feb 17, 2008

I forgot about old grocery stores being used as schools. An old grocery store down the street from me was converted into a charter school. The funny thing was that when the store closed, I thought that it would make a perfect school. That's exactly what happened.

24. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Feb 17, 2008

When I was growing up-my public school had a whole grade level in a church and held the ALC classes in the basement of the bowling alley (a former legion-complete with bar!) Interesting classes!! :)

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 17, 2008

Our old school had a small white house next door that was owned by the school district. We used it for several different things over the years.

DH attended school in a church basement.

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 17, 2008

After a tornado destroyed our high school 3 1/2 years ago school was held in an empty garment factory. (One giant room with wall partitions that didn't go all the way up because of fire code, the noise was unbelievable!!) They just moved back into the new school a week ago.

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 17, 2008

In Lincoln, NE, there is an old school that is now apartment building. I almost rented an apartment there during college, but ended up not. It was cool because it had 12 foot ceilings. Also, the hallways were really wide, and really felt like a school (appropriate for an education major!)

My school tried to buy the old Catholic church down the street. They wanted to use it for a weight room. That seemed wrong to me, but oh well-they didn't get it!

28. smalltowngal

Feb 17, 2008

These are all interesting.

vanna, I would have loved to teach in that one room school house. What a view! I'm sure it would be distracting, maybe not the students, but definitely to me!

29. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 17, 2008

When I was in third grade we walked across the street from the main building each morning to a church where the third grade classrooms were. We had to cross back for lunch each day. I honestly can't remember what we did when it rained :confused: I can't believe that I don't remember! One school district near me bought an entire shopping strip where a grocery store was with a strip mall and turned it into offices and meeting rooms. Different storefronts are now different sections of the administration offices.

30. smalltowngal

Feb 17, 2008

I remember there being a white house building on the back property of the jr high where I went to school. We were never allowed in there, but we hung out on the porch.

Our old jr high was the first college in the town. It was found to have asbestoes in it so they moved the jr high to the old high school when the new one was built. But because its a historical marker, it can't be torn down. I think they cleaned the asbestoes out, but it would take too much money to make it handicap accessible.

31. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Feb 17, 2008

My mom went to Kindergarten in the basement of a funeral parlor. Tell how much fun that would have been. She remembers that they had viewings and services. How eerie!!!

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 17, 2008

That one takes the cake! Ewww!

33. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 18, 2008

My mission board international headquarters is in an old public school building. A huge brick place, and the town was going to demolish it when they centralized their school district. Our mission came along and said, we'll buy it and renovate, and even pay taxes on it. Of course that made the townspeople (many of whom had gone to school there) extremely happy. A win-win!

34. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Feb 18, 2008

No strange locations here but my old HS has been turned into a living heritage museum. We used to kid freshmen about buying elevator tickets when there was no elevator. Now that its a museum there is one!

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 18, 2008

Some of these places that you all are talking about sound neat.

I went to school in the grange hall for kindergarten. There wasn't enough room in the elementary school which was across the yard.
    I remember we got in trouble once because a couple of us slipped out and went up the backstairs. When I was in fourth grade they built a new building for 4th to 6th graders, so the grange was used as a grange hall again.

The elementary school I went to was so small they had portables out back for third grade and first and second graders were in the gym but had temporary walls put up.
    Now that building is the town hall. I still find it weird to go and see a gym where my classroom was located.
    Also the old Junior high which was in the next town over houses the town hall.

36. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 18, 2008

I just saw a little item about kids who grow up in circus families. They have "The One-Ring Schoolhouse" in a trailer that travels with the circus, where they all go, grades 3-12. Cool! PE of course consists of elephant riding and fire juggling...

37. asgirl

asgirl Rookie

Feb 20, 2008

One school I used to go to, had languages classes in one of the dormitories from when it was a boarding school up until the 40's. And of course there were the shop classes in the computer labs, and the computer classes in the shop rooms.

38. firemaple

firemaple Companion

Feb 20, 2008

We have a school in my district that use to be a K Mart. And there is a private school in my district that is located in what use to be a thriving two screen theatre in the 1980s.

39. roamer

roamer Companion

Feb 20, 2008

When a school was found to have black mold (IIRC), and unsafe for students, Bristol Motor Speedway allowed the school to use the racetrack for classes while the school was being renovated. The skyboxes were classrooms.

40. smalltowngal

Feb 21, 2008

I think that would be awesome...but I'm a huge NASCAR fan.

41. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Feb 21, 2008

the charter school i work in is in an old electronics/computer warehouse in the middle of a sprawling office park, it makes pickup time really interesting.

In college one of the campus buildings was an old parking deck that they put cinderblock walls in to make rooms. There were no steps, just ramps to walk up.