Unusual request

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Orory77, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Orory77

Orory77 New Member

Apr 9, 2008

I was subbing and I was asked if i could please fill in for the attendance secretary , I said I would , but I popped by her office and she was typing on a computer, I thought "gee this might be getting me in over my head".I then told the administrator that I did not feel comfortable after all as I did not see where I would be able to fit into that position. She seemed to understand my position , I subbed regular classes and hall duty the remainder of the day as usual.

Should I have filled in anyway ? I have not been called in two days.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2008

What made you fill uncomfortable about subbing for her? The typing? I would think that sub job would have been easy. It could be that they haven't had any spots for subs in the past few days.

4. Orory77

Orory77 New Member

Apr 9, 2008

She had a program open and she was typing into it and I thought asking if she wanted to go on her break , what could I do ? but in retrospect I wonder if i should have tried it anyway ? Would the administrator hold this against me ?

5. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 9, 2008

hm, awkward....

I would have walked right in and introduced myself, and said what I was there for and then asked what it was she'd like me to do. One major component to being successful in subbing is flexibility. I've arrived thinking I was a 3rd grade teacher, and ended up the PE teacher more than once. I've learned to keep a spare pair of gym shoes in my car!

On the other hand, my sub coordinator has always backed me up when I've refused a position for my own reasons. I won't sub band, for many reasons, and when asked, told, nearly forced, I stood my ground and said no, I was there to teach health...whoever was covering my health class while I was sent to the wolves would have to cover band today, or you will need to cover BOTH Health and band! She backed me completely. So, if you were truly uncomfortable, I suppose you've found your limit.

one more thing.....I stated earlier that I've been switched to PE, but I've also been asked to file, shred, answer phones, and cover for the nurse. Their request wasn't as unusual as you may think!!!

6. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

I have subbed in gym, music, art, and library. Gym is somewhat challenging, music was fun, art was easy and I really enjoyed library. Resource teachers at our schools teach a different grade each period, but repeat each day over the course of the week, so there's definitely variety. I did music for three days in a row. By the last day I was ready for it to be over though.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008

Orory77, I think if you said you were going to sub you should have. I understand your reasons for not wanting to, I just think they might have been put in a bind. Did you pull out at the last minute, or did they have time to find someone else?

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 14, 2008

Maybe you could ask to be trained in the software during the next free time you have while you are there? Or even go in on an off day? That way you will feel prepared, and the school will surely appreciate your dedication. :2up:

9. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 15, 2008

I agree that it probably didn't look too good to say yes, then back out at the last minute. However, I can't say that's why you haven't gotten any calls....As was already stated, it's possible that there just haven't been any openings.