Unusual Occurances During a Field Trip

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Obadiah, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 25, 2018

I was thinking this morning, an interesting thread might be about unusual and unexpected occurrences that happened during a field trip. A couple come to my mind.

A month prior to a field trip to the science center, a parent had discussed with me how she was surprised with all her daughter was learning about the subject of gravity, some of which she was unaware of. Anyway, during a lesson on space at the science center, the presenter made a comment concerning gravity and the student suddenly blurted out, "See Mom! I told you it was true!" (Her mother and I got a good chuckle over it)!

Another that comes to my mind, our bus suddenly slowed down on a street. Why? There was an army tank in front of us. We followed it for a couple of blocks.

3. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Mar 25, 2018

We took some kids during a summer camp to a nursing home. Some of the younger kids asked what it was and some of the teachers described it as a place people live when they get older when their family cant always be there for them. Several kids made cards saying sorry you do not have a family. Needless to say we took those cards out of the stack.

Obadiah and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2018

We were at a hands-on museum, a mom thought that the pull-down fire alarm was part of what the kids could play with. She let her daughter pull it down. The fire department came. Thankfully, they were next door.

A group was on a field trip, only been gone an hour or so when they were called back because school was closing due to a social media threat.

Obadiah and Upsadaisy like this.
  5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 26, 2018

When my outside-of-school choir went on a performance trip to the Lincoln Presidential Library, it happened to be the day of an earthquake. It made for an interesting trip when the exhibit display lights shook with every tiny aftershock.

I heard a horror story from another music teacher about a summer trip to Texas when one bus broke down completely and the AC on the other bus was out. They sat for several hours in the middle of nowhere while the bus company dispatched a replacement bus.

When I was in college, our wind ensemble did a recruitment tour over spring break. The director put the ed. majors in charge of the details as a way of "giving you practice" *eyeroll*. We accidentally left someone behind at the hotel and didn't find out for half an hour. I'm proud to say I was NOT the one who did roll call at that stop.

Obadiah likes this.
  6. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Mar 29, 2018

Years ago - middle schoolers walking to close by museum. Police blocking sidewalk while they arrest someone only slightly older than our students. "Ok, ladies and gentlemen, let's stop for a moment and let the end of the line catch up."

Obadiah likes this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2018

Got nothing for you. I run a tight ship on field trips.

Obadiah likes this.