Unusual names.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Katerie, Dec 17, 2005.

1. redskinmom

redskinmom Rookie

Dec 30, 2005

I had a student a few years back named Jewel. That was the spelling on her birth certificate. However, Mom insisted it was spelled Jewl. Mom's name was Star.

2. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2005

When I went back to my hometown for Christmas, I saw a classmate of mine. I had forgotten what she named her twins. Copen and Hagen.

3. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Dec 30, 2005

that is SO wrong.

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2005

Parents may think some names are cute when their kids are little but they need to think about their kids dealing with unusual names as they grow up. I can just see Copen and Hagen being teased, who would want to put their kids through that is beyond me. Kids have enough to deal with growing up, they don't need this added worry.

5. NCP

NCP Comrade

Dec 30, 2005

I totally agree Rosieo. When my uncle and aunt we pregnant with their first they had it narrowed down to two names: Artemis and Alexander. When they told my aunts 13 year old brother their choices, he pointed out that when the kid was older the kids would call him Art the fart. They named him Alexander. Maybe we all need a pre-teen kids around when choosing names for our kids!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  6. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Dec 30, 2005

Good idea, NCP. My parents did something similiar when they had me.......I was going to be Tamara, then Melanie, but they found problems with both of those names. I forget what the problem with Melanie was, but with Tamara they thought the kids would say, "See you tomorrow, Tamara." And I bet they would have.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2005

Are we about done mocking students and their parents for their names?? I stand by the idea that parents have a reason (however misguided) for naming children what they do...... As an educator, you need to respect that name, respect that child and move on.....really, there are so many other things to take action on, to discuss, to inquire about, to wonder other than name choice-Please name your own children what you may, and hope no one ever has any objection.......

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 30, 2005

I thought that we were just having a light-hearted discussion. We've not only discussed students, but friends and family as well.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

Me too!! I don't think ANYONE has said they disrespect any of these kiddos!!! And I don't think every parent has a reason, other then it is funny or odd...............sorry, but that is the only way I can see how some of these children get their names. It certainly doesn't appear to be out of any respect for their child.

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 30, 2005

Exactly.

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 30, 2005

I agree with kinder and Beth. I have found this to be an interesting topic - and posted a few personal issues at the beginning of this thread. I didn't find anyone mocking others.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2005

.....and then consider the possibility that a parent had some insight/access/saw a posting regarding their name choice for their child- reread some of the posts......IE: Who would name their child_____ or "that is so wrong"..... How would you feel then, hum, hum, hum... both of these comments and others have been posted regarding parent choices for child names- we may not agree with the wiseness of name choice- move on- stop mocking (however lightly you intended.....) be a professional,teach the whole child regardless of name- respect the name, respect the child.......

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 30, 2005

I do teach the whole child regardless of name. I don't think their name has anything to do with it. None of us said anything about not wanting to teach a child because of his or her name. All this was was a discussion about different names we have come in contact with (in the classroom, with our friends, with our own families). We all have the right to voice our own opinions, just as you have voiced yours.

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2005

Wow, you're certainly taking this way too personally. This whole thread is done in a good-spirited way. I read not one post that seemed mean. We wouldn't be human if we didn't have opinions, would we?? This isn't a place where we should have to worry about keeping our opinions to ourselves...we should feel free to express them. And so we are, and so are you...

Didn't we just have a discussion like this in a thread recently about whether we should feel free to "vent" on this board? And how the majority said we should? Anyone remember that thread, and what the topic was?
    Kim

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2005

and please go back and view some of the postings as a professional, considering the initial question and considering that this was posted in general ed forum, not teacher time out- some of the postings are a bit off color in MY OPINION AS A PROFESSIONAL......as always I do respect anyone's opinion- I just think as educators we should raise that bar a bit in our discussions and not degrade ourselves to some of the comments made here.....
    A sampling:
    Oh my goodness! That's definitely the worst I've seen!

Are you kidding me? That is horrible.

Fisher? That is horrible.

That is awful...........who could do that to their little girl?

I haven't even mentioned the ethnic names.

Why do people do that?

I would cry if I all those names. I would never get them right.

Oh goodness.....I'm sorry, but who would name their child ______

that is SO wrong.

Here's the original question:

Do you guys come accross a lot of unusual names? If and when you mispronounce them, do the kids correct you, or wait until their parents come to open house so they can- or perhaps wait until the end of the year, when they finally speak up and say, "um, you say it _____"?

Yes, we're all guilty of high-jacking or veering off the original topic but really, how would you feel if someone was saying these things about YOUR name or the name of YOUR CHILD??? I think sometimes we forget that these little people are precious and wonderful in their parents' eyes....when you forget that you have lost sight of your calling....

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

well, I stand by what I said.........you can take it as you want czacza.........but I am not unprofessional nor have I lost sight of my calling. You can take any of these quotes (as you have included some of mine) out of the original context they were posted in.

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2005

I find you questioning my calling as unprofessional and disrespectful as you find us "making fun" of names. (although, in my opinion, no one was making fun of any child or name).

People HAVE said these things about my own child's name (Lizzy). My own mom refuses to call her that and will only address her as Elisabeth, her full given name. Does it hurt my feelings? No, not really. I find it more amusing than hurtful. And, let's face it, if you're going to give your child a unique name or a name with a unique spelling, on purpose, then you're going to know that some people will find it amusing (as we have) and some are going to be downright mean about it. If that name is important to you, you'll bear those things with a smile, and remember the reason you named your child that in the first place.

No one has lost sight that these children are precious in their parents' eyes. My students are also precious in MY eyes. But I still get to have an opinion on their names...positive or negative...and that doesn't negate my feelings on them as a person.
    Kim

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

My friend has a niece who's name is Iceleigh. I have never heard that one before. They call her Icelet.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

Jaime, I know of someone named Moira!!! She hates that name......no one can pronounce it correctly. She would rather have a different name!! And she is the first to admit it!

20. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 30, 2005

Isn't there a "Moira" book by Robert Munsch? My son loved his stories!

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

I'm not sure...........you may be right! :)

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

Is it pronounced like More-ah? I tutored a Morah once. She didn't like it either. I also tutored a Tamara. I never said her name right. Well after a yr I finally got it LOL. Then she graduated and didn't need me any more. I think she is married. and She has a four yr old. She is only 18.
    But is doing great!

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 30, 2005

I think it is: MOY-rah.

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

yes.......that is how it is pronounced. apparently some say My rah and Mo (Like Joe) ira

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

I have the worst time with names I have never seen before. LOL.

26. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

I've read practically through this whole thread and I have not found one post that was disrespectful. So not everyone agrees on names for children...so what!!! I have found this thread to be lighthearted and fun...no need for party poopers. I think some are overreacting a bit much and need to take a chill pill. COME ON...who really thinks it's ok to name their children Copan and Hagan...COME ON! That IS wrong!

On a similar note...back to the thread...my real name is Jennifer and my parents REFUSE to call me Jen or Jennie, which is what all my friends call me. "It's not your real name" they'll say. Anyone elses parents like that?

27. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Dec 30, 2005

czacza, I think if you were named copen and your sibling was named hagen you'd have a different perspective on this discussion. I mean c'mon, Copenhagen?? Those children will be hearing stupid comments for the rest of their lives. I've joked with a friend about his (completely normal) name, and he rolled his eyes and said something along the lines of, "Oh, I've never heard THAT one before. Today." So, yeah, I stand by what I said. I don't care if your dying grandmother was born in Copenhagen and her dying request is to name your twins after her hometown.

Parents need to think about the ramifications of the names they give their children. I just read a study (on msn.com, I think) where identical resumes were submitted to different companies. The only difference was that resume "A" had a WASP-y sounding name, and resume "B" had an ethnic sounding name. Resume "A" got more callbacks.

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

Well my parents always call me Jaime. LOL But I have some friends that call me Jame.
    Empty your PM box Jen.

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

Moira is an Irish name and pronounced Maura. Some people choose to spell it Maura. I like the traditional way and never really thought of it as unusual. Then again, I was taken to Ireland when I was 10 years old and introduced to relatives named (sp?) Ornah, Darrah, Ferga, and Killian.

My nephew's name is Beach Brooks, named after his father and grandfather. The child absolutely hates his name and is pretty angry about it.

The property manager where I live is named Sunny Layne - which is pretty perfect for a property manager.

We named our son after his two grandpas - Nicholas Allen. We gave my daughter a lovely name, we thought, Christina Elizabeth. I've heard her telling friends that she hates that Christina sounds like a Spanish name and that her nickname, Chris, could be a boy's name. Well, you can't please everyone........ I still love her name.

cza cza, I can see your point to a certain extent. I think the responses have been pretty predictable, but this should perhaps be in a non-professional thread. We don't want parents to think we judge children unfairly because of their names. Anyone taking the time to read the whole thread would see that we certainly don't, though.

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

What does your nephew go by? I know a couple men named Brook. I thought it was an interesting name and like it better for a man then a women. But that is just me.

31. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

I just did:)! Pm away!

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

My hubby wanted to keep his initials, and his dads initials in the family. At least it's only initials...I was not going to name our son Troy Jr. No way I said. The initials are TJ (pretty common I guess) so grandpa's name is Tyler James, hubby is Troy James, and our son is Tanner James. He wanted to keep the James as well :rolleyes: .

33. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Dec 30, 2005

Speaking of Irish names, how do you pronounce Eoin Colfer? I can't tell any of my friends about the Artemis Fowl books because I can't say his name!! And Moira--that was a character in a book I like--now I know how to say her name :)

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

Jaime - Brooks is his last name, not middle name. So, he goes by Beach. He's 14, though. Need I say more?

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

OH. Didn't realize. I know a man that is named Ocean. I kept saying that isn't your real name is it. I think he got rather upset with me. But I thought he was pulling my leg because he had to much to drink.
    BF used to be roommates with an Attila. And every time we used to go out and he would introduce himself. The other person would say oh Attila the Hun. BLAH. That gets annoying after a while.

36. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2005

I worked with a lady with 5 grandchildren. Their names were
    River (girl), Lake (boy), Rain (girl), Sunny (girl) and Eddie-has something to do with a stream (boy). When asked how her daughter came up with those names she would just raised her eyebrows and say don't ask. I know her first child got her name River, because her mother was focusing on a picture of a river while she was in labor. The others were just part of their theme.

37. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2005

People like that give Texans a bad name!!! Thats horrible

38. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

Actually an Eddie has something to do with ocean (sea) surface flow.

39. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 30, 2005

My brother told me that one of his kids goes to school with a boy named Booger. I hope that is a nickname. Surely a parent wouldn't really name a child THAT!

40. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2005

You just never know Glenda....some people will try anything.