Unsure what to make of this? Is it an offer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by thenrobbiesaid, May 10, 2008.

1. thenrobbiesaid

thenrobbiesaid Rookie

May 10, 2008

Here's the background: Just graduated, and I interviewed with a school district, and the first interview went really well. I heard back from the principal at this particular school when she sent me an email.

When I read this email I received from the principal, I'm unsure what to make of it. My first thought was to do a cartwheel and scream that I got a job ("...close with a verbal commitment.", "I want you to work at this school...". But, when I go back over it, I'm not sure what to think ("second and final interview")!

Mind reading it over and telling me what you think?

Hello Robert,

I would like for you to come in for a second interview with our HR director on May 27th at 11:00. It is a final interview. I want you to work at this school but I still would advise you to be at the top of your game for your first official meeting with the HR director.

Also bring the following information with you;
    - a drivers license or state ID
    - Social Security Card
    - a copy of your transcripts
    - a copy of your license or a letter from the University saying the license is pending
    - if you have to take the Praxis then let us know that (everything would be pending if you still have to take that test).
    - you will also have to get a criminal history check (a new one). I will send that info to you via school mail today.

We will share some additional information with you, our HR director will ask you questions, and then we will hopefully be able to close with a verbal commitment. If you have any questions or concerns before then, you are welcome to contact me. You are one step closer to being a full-time teacher. I will see you next Thursday at 2:00 p.m.

Thoughts? (Besides the fact that the principal impressively used a hyphen with "full-time teacher").

Thanks!

Robert

3. obro

obro Rookie

May 10, 2008

Not an offer.....but very encouraging. I think you are close but don't have the job yet. I think if you can make it through the interview without choking it sounds like they will make you an offer at the end. good luck

4. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

May 10, 2008

Actually, I think it sounds good.
    I notice that you are in Indianapolis. My best friend and I both got jobs there many years ago and noone told us that we actually got hired! When they had us filling out our W2's we were like oh, I guess this means we got the job! It would have been nice to actually been asked!

5. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 10, 2008

It's not an officially offer but very promising!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 10, 2008

It sounds like the Principal has already decided to hire you but has to go through the other person. If that person agrees then you are hired and possibly on the spot.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 10, 2008

Exactly. The principal doesn't get to make the decision. In this case, HR does.

8. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

May 10, 2008

Sounds like a formality. Show up, smile, be charming, answer the questions with confidence and you're hired!

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 10, 2008

In my situation, I was emailed that my *would be* supervisor and *would be* headmaster wanted to recommend me to the headmaster of the whole academy to hire me. I'm sure the principal will put in a good word for you to the HR and that will allow you to more than likely be hired.

When my headmaster emailed me to say that he would be recommending me, I knew it was a job offer but he couldn't say so because the headmaster of the whole academy had to offer it to me--- not himself. It may very well be the same case for you--- principal can recommend you, but he has to let the HR person do the actual hiring.

Let us know how it goes :)

And also be prepared--- I still brought my portfolio, a copy of my resume, and a lesson plan with me JUST in case.

10. Jenn

Jenn Rookie

May 10, 2008

The same exact thing happened to me for the position I just got hired on for. I am going to work for a smaller school district so what they did was call me and told me that I needed to be at the HR office at a certain time and day to meet the superintendent and to fill out some paper and to bring my ss card, license, teaching cert., etc. They never said anything about an offer and I had only gone on one interview with the principal of the school I would be teaching at. I got there and the superintendent interviewed me and then offered me a position and told me to go and fill out all the paper work down the hall and sign the contract. So, since your scenario sounds very similar I believe that would be an offer.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 11, 2008

I agree with everyone else. It's not an actual job offer, but close enough to one with some more formalities.

In the districts I've worked in, I've been called by the principal offering me the job. The next step is to recommend me to the board (which is a formality), and then once that's done, I've been able to fill out all the paperwork and sign the contract.

Good luck!

12. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 11, 2008

Sounds like you are the "perferred candidate". I had to do that when I was hired last summer. The principal called, telling me I was the perferred candidate, and would be hired pending my interview in the HR director. That was a few days later. I took my portfolio, resume, etc, and answered maybe three questions. Then I was offered the job and signed a letter of intent and was board approved a few weeks later!

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 11, 2008

It's the same in my situation. I was fortunate to deal with H/R & the principal at once to save on having to go again for whatever was necessary. Also, she allowed me to send my transcripts via e-mail.

14. thenrobbiesaid

thenrobbiesaid Rookie

May 11, 2008

Very encouraging to hear all of this feedback from everyone!

Like I said, I was just kind of left scratching my head. I'm glad to hear people have gone through similar situations and, by in large, they've all worked out positively in the end.

I will definitely keep everyone posted. Thank you for the great responses!

Robert

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 11, 2008

It ain't over 'til the W-2s are signed....

bear with me...I am facing Blue Monday...when I realize I do not have a job to go to tomorrow.

that being said...I want to be as positive as I can when I say...

don't be too excited, don't be too cocky, and too smug...

Until you sign, and the ink is dry on the W-2's you are not official.

Exhibit A.

One school said, "Your fingerprints were messed up, and did not come back yet, so techncially, we can start you but they may remove you at anytime." :huh: I survived that nightmare!

Exhibit B.

"Yes, we want you...I am so impressed, now I am just waiting to here back from your references. Can you start on Monday? Okay, I will get back to you!"

A week later...nothing.

I decide to call my references.

Hey...did you get a phone call?
    Yes, I did.

Well, what did you say?! What did they say??

Well, they asked me about your personality, and I said...sometimes you don't smile alot.

I said.. YOU said that?

and boys and girls...I did not get that job.

Exhibit C.

I had the offer, and came in to complete paperwork. I was filling out the medical insurance forms. suddenly, the friendly HR lady left, and came back with the mean HR lady.

"We have an problem. We were checking your employment history. This phone number is a library."

Oh, I must have transposed the numbers, yes...it is 6022, yes the library is 6220. smile.

"Well, (pointing with a pencil) according to our application this is a misrepresentation on the application and any information that is not true calls for a rescinding of the offer and.."

What, wait a minute..I could call for you...right now...this is the right number.

"No, you will not call, that won't be necessary now...just give us back all of our papers."

(me getting ugly) :mad: "Well, give me back ALL of my papers! You have a certified copy of my transcript, credential, birth certificate and license, and you certainly don't need that!"

she got an attitude, but gathered it up.

(I truly believe I am a ghost employee at many preschools .... :unsure: )

Hang in there Robert... I wish you luck!

16. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 12, 2008

Oh my! Master Pre-K, I felt my blood pressure going up just reading about your ordeals. I just don't know what I would do if I continue going through stuff like that. I hope things work out. Hang in there!

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

yeah, and I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or buy shoes either!

seriously guys...I only want the best for Robert...but keep in mind anything can happen between now and then. I usually get job offers on the spot. Just want him to remain realistic....

I have a interview for a bank job tomorrow...wish me luck! Plan to work nights and look for another teaching job in fall.

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 12, 2008

Wow, MPK...that is awful! I would have slapped that lady!

Robert- Bring everything, smile, be confident, win them over!

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 12, 2008

I bet it is exactly like this except with the HR person. I wouldn't expect the questions to be the same types of things as what the P would ask. I'm thinking more on the order of what type of work ethic you have and if you are in it for the long haul.

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

I say it is politics and paperwork...

if the principal said "Sure, c'mon in!"...and HR found a glitch in your paperwork...several heads will roll.

One monkey don't stop no show...they need at least two now to justify everything....

21. thenrobbiesaid

thenrobbiesaid Rookie

May 15, 2008

*backflips across the room*

I am officially a second-grade teacher!

Thanks to everyone for your support - I've loved every bit of it!

Robert

22. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 15, 2008

Aww congrats Robert!! YAY!!! :) Don't forget to add your name and subject/grade to our list of those who were hired.

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 15, 2008

Congratulations, Robert!

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2008

Congrats, Robert!

Be sure to post this in the Who Got a Job thread!

25. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 15, 2008

Good deal, Robert! Much Congrats!!

26. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 15, 2008

Woohoo!!! Congratulations!:2up::2up::2up:

27. nycpeach

nycpeach Rookie

May 15, 2008

Congrats Robbie! Make sure to stay posted to this site for teacher advise. I know I will be. Urrr, that is when I get a job.

Celebrate like it's 1999!

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 15, 2008

Hoooooray, Robbie! Those second graders will be lucky to have you next year!!

29. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 15, 2008

Yeeee Hawwww Robert! So happy for you!!! Way to go! Now the planning starts. I am a new teacher too. There are several of us so make sure you stick around!!

Please go here http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=56259 and add your stats :)

Lemon

30. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

May 15, 2008

:2up:Congratulations!:2up:
    How exciting! I'm a new 2nd grade teacher in Indiana, too! What district are you in?

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 15, 2008

:party:

32. thenrobbiesaid

thenrobbiesaid Rookie

May 15, 2008

Aww, bless everyone's hearts!

I have to say, I'm really impressed with how knowledgeable and helpful everyone at A to Z is. It's really comforting to know I've got support from all across the nation - a truly great feeling!

I'm going to be at Clinton Young Elementary in Perry Township. Unfortunately, they hit strike 3 with A.Y.P. so they had to clear most of the teachers there out (but they got all of the internal transfer positions - thank goodness), which I think is awful because there are some really good teachers there.

Anyhow, the school is making a number of changes all across the board for the betterment of the school, and I'm really pumped to be a part of it!

Thanks again for all of the love!

Robert

(P.S. - what's really awful is that the past two years they've missed ONE of the 24 sections of A.Y.P., so I they have the unfair "unsuccessful school" label. Don't worry though; we'll get that changed :) )

33. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 15, 2008

Congrats!

34. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 15, 2008

Way to go Robert!

35. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 16, 2008

I can't tell you how many times I've said, "I did some research on it and then I asked other teachers on a discussion board" or "I got this really great idea from some posters on a teacher discussion board" when someone asks where I got these awesome ideas or I have found additional resources that have helped us based on people's knowledge on this forum. What's great about it all is I feel we get tunnel vision when we only seek the help of those who have been around each other forever. When we look outward some, THEN we truly get new blood and new ideas. I love it! Congrats!

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 16, 2008

ditto...whatcngsaid! :D

congratulations!