Unsure of what I should do...Advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissVXT, Jul 8, 2013.

1. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 8, 2013

Hi everyone! :)

So, I am a new teacher and am currently going through an ACP. So far, I have had 4 interviews.

Interview #1- My mom is the nurse at this school. The interview was NOTHING like what I prepared for. When I walked in, the receptionist gave me a page long scenario that basically described the most chaotic classroom environment you could imagine. I was to break down each part of the scenario and answer 4 questions for each part. I had a total of 10 minutes and I needed to be ready to discuss when I was called back to the interview room. When I walked in, there was a panel of 4 people and the VERY FIRST THING the principal said to me was "So let's hear what you've prepared for our scenario" :eek:. No "hello, how are you"...No..."gee, it sure is hot outside"...I didn't even get a "tell us about yourself". Needless to say, the interview wasn't the best. I was fortunate enough to receive feedback a little bit later on and the principal said that I have an excellent personality and I am very pleasant...but that I needed to get a bit more instructional experience. Cool :rolleyes:. I'm working summer school now to try & get more experience. Considering I am ACP, I have not student taught...but have tons of observations and volunteer experience under my belt. The principal also told my mom several weeks later that "it's not over yet"...Idk how I should take that.

Interview #2- Amazing location. I left my house at 10:11am and was in the parking lot of the school by 10:14. This interview was more of a traditional panel interview. I thought it went well and the principal also told me that she really enjoyed meeting with me. I didn't feel GREAT about it when I left...but I didn't feel bad either. It's almost been a month. No call either way. Cool. Moving on :rolleyes:.

Interview #3- Dream interview. It was just the principal and myself. We clicked. I had great answers for ALL of the questions. Several times during the interview, she told me that I was doing really well and that she was really enjoying talking with me. She even said that this was one of the best interviews she'd conducted. Something she said during the interview that discouraged me bit was that the position she currently had open was for 3rd grade ESL and that I may not be the person for that position, but she was expecting several more resignations. At the end of the interview, she told me that I would make a GREAT asset to her school and she didn't want to lose out on me. 2 days later, she called me to tell me she went with another candidate, but that I gave a great interview and she shared my resume with her principal friends. Bummer. I REALLY felt like that school was where I am "supposed" to be. Maybe I sound crazy, but it just felt right. The last day for teachers to resign in Texas is July 12th. Should I contact her again to see if anything else has opened up? If so, what should I say?

Interview #4- Charter school. Kinder. Minimal resources. Very, very, low-budget campus. Possible corrupt administration. I went to the first interview and it went really well. It was more of a "get to know you" type of interview. I didn't know that it was multi-round until the very end when the principal told me that she would DEFINITELY be calling me to schedule a second interview with the owner/CEO. I was given salary information and a tour of the school. I met the lead kinder teacher (who is, btw, nearly 92 years old!). This was a little less than two weeks ago and I have not received a call. She DID tell me that she was headed to Boston for a 3-day conference the day after our interview...but still, that was a while ago. Haven't heard back yet. I can't say this is an ideal position or campus for me, but hey, this will be my first year teaching and I will take what I can get :thumb:

This experience has been a tad bit discouraging for me because, before teaching, I'd NEVER gone on an interview where I wasn't offered the job. Sigh. I'm slowly getting used to rejection though :unsure:

Sorry for the lengthy post :dizzy:

3. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 8, 2013

Yes, I've never gone on interviews before where I didn't get the job either. Even my first two teaching interviews were job offers, I had to pick btw them. I just had two this summer because I'm looking for schools closer to my house (I drive over an hour one way right now), and the first I still haven't heard back on---doesn't sound promising though, and the second I didn't get any of several positions despite having an awesome awesome interview (I felt very similar to how you felt with the #3 interview, it was just awesome with tons of positive feedback during and after the interview)--I honestly feel like it's because I'm pregnant and due 3 days before school starts that I didn't get offered a position despite fantastic teaching references and great interview.

Anyhow, I'd go ahead and contact the principal from #3 whom you clicked so well with. I'd wait until next Monday and then email her telling her how much you loved the school, the admin, and how you feel it is such a perfect fit and inquire if anyone has resigned. Then ask her to please keep you in mind if anything should come up because you are eagerly awaiting something opening up for which you are highly qualified to teach at HER school.

Good luck! Your confidence at the interviews you've discussed WILL land you a job. Before it's all over and done with it will probably be you having the tough decision of "which one to go with," because you'll have more than one offer.

4. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 9, 2013

Wow! Your FIRST 2 teaching interviews? I think you're definitely in the minority, lol. I can see why your situation may give some principals pause, but I'm sure you'll come across the one that sees the value you can add to their campus :)

I'm definitely going to contact that principal Monday morning. Great advice. I had an interview at another school about 4 miles from my house this morning. It went REALLY well...but I've thought that before. We shall see.

Thank you soooo much. Fingers crossed for you as well! :thanks:

5. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 9, 2013

I just got offered the job I interviewed for this morning! :woot:...I go in to sign my life away tomorrow morning :)

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

Congratulations!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

As I said on the job thread, welcome to 2nd grade!!!

8. charlottesome

charlottesome Rookie

Jul 9, 2013

Which one is it (of the ones you detailed above)?

9. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Jul 9, 2013

Congrats! Glad it went well for you.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 9, 2013

Congrats!

11. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

Thank you! I'm EXCITED. :D

12. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

It's none of the above... I had a 5th interview AFTER I made the original post :)

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2013

So the fifth one was the lucky winner. Congratulations on the new job! That's very exciting. I guess all that interview experience really paid off.

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2013

Congratulations!

15. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Thank you so much! I'm beaming from ear to ear :D

16. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Thank you! I can't wait to get started!