Unsure of reference

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by MommaBear1978, Aug 23, 2006.

1. MommaBear1978

MommaBear1978 New Member

Aug 23, 2006

Hi everyone!
    I am new but I am not sure about something and I thought you might be able to give me some insight. I have 3 years of teaching experience and did a great job at the two schools where I worked. All of my observed lessons, annual reviews, etc. indicated that I need no improvement, I am well versed in all of the important facets of teaching and had 2 great interviews. One thing I am worried about it that I decided to leave one job to be home with my son and the principal was angry that I left. I gave proper notice, there was no wrongdoing, my class was covered by a sub, but I hear that she has been making snide comments about me. In the past, she has been grieved by other teachers for many reasons, and has a tendency to hold a grudge if you don't agree with her. There is nothing bad she can say about me, but I wouldn't put it past her to say "I can't comment" or something if they call. She wrote me a letter of rec, and it is nice, but not 'glowing' like my other 3 from principals and special educators I have worked with. I chose to put my principal from my old school whom I am still in close contact with, a literacy person, and my boss from a summer job but they want to call my old principal. I said fine, but I am worried she is going to insinuate something. How much emphasis do they put on one person, if all other materials and references point to the fact that I am a great teacher? I have never had a boss that I don't retain a good relationship with until now. I can't believe she would be such an unprofessional person, but if she decides to say something 'fishy', what do I do?:confused:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 23, 2006

I would be honest with the hiring committee. That you took a leave of absents from the school and so on. And that you heard she wasn't happy about it.

4. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Aug 23, 2006

That's a tough situation to be in. I am pretty sure if your credentials and other references are that good, they will take into account your personality, interview, and background. Good luck! Finding a job after staying home with a little one is tough!

5. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 23, 2006

I really wouldn't worry too much about her. I seriously doubt that it'll all come down and hinge on what she has to say. If so, that's not a school or district you'd like to work for.

Good luck! :cool: