Unsure of new position - sorry long

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TerriInCa, Aug 18, 2012.

1. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 18, 2012

Yesterday was the first day of my new teaching job. It was an in-service day.

Overall the day went great. Met several new teachers and the staff seems really nice.

Here is why I am unsure and considering leaving at the end of the year already :confused:

It is a charter school. The founder basically has nothing to do with the business but I have noticed he shows up around 3:00 every afternoon to "check" on things and talk to the principal.

After all our trainings I was in my room organizing a few things when he came in with the principal and in the nicest way possible began to talk about all the things he didn't like in my room. (I have never been insulted in such a nice way before)

He proceeded to go around my room and say "You are for sure a elementary school teacher, you have all this crap you don't need" He began opening my drawers and criticizing my drawer of tape, and my drawer of construction paper and folders.

After it was all over and he left the principal suggested I have a "yard sale" and sell off the "extra" supplies I have to other teachers.

After she left I purged a few things and gave a few teachers some stuff I could give up. I also made a pile of some things I am going to bring home on Monday when I go back in.

What gets me is this school is in a poor neighborhood and most of the families can't buy folders, pencils exec. And we were told at the trainings to be conservative and don't ask for things we don't really need and print worksheets double sided.

And here I bring my own stuff willing the save the school $ for paper and supplies and I am told I have to get rid of it. I am so confused and upset right now.

He even told me that my tinny student library (1 shelf with books only 1 1/2 feet high and 3 ft wide) is a fire hazard. I hope he just meant the location and not that I have to get rid of my books for the students. I was going to let them borrow them because I know these kids don't have books at home.

Afterwards I talked to one of the teachers about it and she came right out and said the guy is a jerk. I just hope he will see the room has less "stuff" and move on to someone else.

3. Federal Funding

Federal Funding Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

Strange. Idk. Now days in the particular political climate there might be friendly, smiling people who might say "you're fired," followed by "that's not a problem for you is it? You aren't as bad off as others around here."

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 18, 2012

Wow. I would be annoyed to no end by that. You're probably going to keep the job for the year, so while it probably wouldn't be a wise thing to do, if it were me, I would simply ignore any further criticisms by the founder. Nod and smile while he prattles, and then brush off his "suggestions" and get on with my day.

In my opinion CEOs like him have no business in education. Charters are huge mistake and a step in the completely wrong direction.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 18, 2012

Sounds like a real stooge. I wouldn't sweat it. See how the rest of the year goes.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2012

Painting with a wide brush?

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 18, 2012

Maybe so, but I think by their very definition of public education for profit, charter schools are a horrible idea. Yes, there may be successful ones, and then there are the large amount of failures, but I don't think any K-12 school should be made into a business.

8. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 18, 2012

Keep that resume fresh and out there. Sounds like the makings of a toxic environment. I mean my guess is that the martinet is simply trying to justify his existence and flaunt his "expertise" in whatever he thinks he's an expert at. I smell a bully, also.

So keep looking - that will help if you know that it's just a transitory situation.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2012

I also don't agree with previous posters on charter schools. There are many public, not-for-profit charter schools which run by the same rules and standards as all other public schools and do a great job.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2012

I have a friend/colleague who's trying to start a charter school. She's kind of put it on the back burner for now. With some people, you can never do right. They'll just criticize everything, so if you want to still go through with this position, do the best you know to do & when the two jerks come it to "check" on things, grin & bear it. The day you're ready to quit, then you can give them a piece of your mind.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 18, 2012

Besides he might just be one of those guys you see the first day and then never see again.

12. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 18, 2012

Sounds to me like he was just putting on airs, trying to impress the professionals with his knowledge of all things educational. I wouldn't worry about it, and I definitely wouldn't continue getting rid of your supplies!

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2012

Please don't put all charters into one group. Some of us work awfully hard to make sure that our students receive a much better education then they would if they attended their local school!

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 19, 2012

How frustrating! I think my gut would be to do some minor purging, like you did, but then I would take the rest of his "suggestions" from here on out with a grain of salt. Unless it comes as a directive, I would keep the stuff I knew I needed for my kids exactly the way I had it.

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

I definitely wouldn't get rid of or give away MY own supplies that I bought because someone told me to. I could see him commenting on things you have up on your wall, but telling you what you can and cannot have in your drawers is a bit much imo. Why does it bother him that you have extra folders??

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 19, 2012

It sounds like he may have used this as his way to "introduce" himself. As long as he doesn't make it a weekly habit to micromanage your classroom, and you are happy with the rest of the faculty, just keep doing what you're doing. The results from your students will be more of a focus as the year goes on, and you're already laying a great foundation for that!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2012

I've never taught in a charter school, and I imagine that most of the people here probably never have either. And the odds are overwhelming that no one here has ever taught at that particular charter school.

He came in once. You may not see him again until Christmas, or it may be that you're right and that he comes in every day.

Either way, don't sweat it. Take your cue from other teachers who have found success in that particular enviornment.

Each school climate is different, and it takes a while to learn just what works in yours.

18. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 19, 2012

I think you're making decisions too early here. I'd just let it go and focus on the rest of the year. No matter what, if you plan on teaching next year (anywhere, not just in this school) you do NOT want to quit mid-year, so fuming about things and thinking you want to leave now just isn't going to help any.

I caught myself thinking the same thing this week. I think most of the faculty at my school is great. However, I'm really starting to see that the P and I are just NOT a good fit. At first I thought she might be good because she seemed to be changing some things that went badly at the school in previous years (she is new, and she did not hire me). However, after a week of actually working with her, I am just not impressed at all. I have a problem with letting things like this get to me. I am working on changing what I can within my classroom and trying really hard to let the other things go. I know I'm here for at least a year, so I need to make the best of it.

In your situation, you might find what we used to do with our sped admin helpful. I taught sped at my last school and the admin was just as clueless as you describe, but since they were district admin they weren't really around in our individual schools very much, which sounds like it may be the situation with this guy. Whenever they would come in and give their completely ridiculous advice, we would smile and say, "Thank you for your feedback." No arguing or trying to get them to say that their advice was ridiculous, no getting all stressed out about it, and certainly no doing anything we knew was ridiculous. After they left, we carried on as usual to the best of our ability to work around them.

19. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 19, 2012

I plan to stick it out for the school year. I am just wondering if I need to be prepared to find something new next year. I don't like that I feel so discouraged by this guy. I just hope it was his way of throwing his weight around. I don't plan on giving anything else away, just taking it home. SO my students wont benefit from it unfortunately. I live far away and take the train and cant bring it back easily.

20. London

London Rookie

Aug 19, 2012

I'm so passive agressive that I would bring MORE stuff in! If what you have are materials you plan on using for your classroom, don't let someone who doesn't teach convince you you have too much and need to get rid of it.

21. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 20, 2012

UPDATE

He spent most of the morning in my classroom, and his daughter will be in my class!

Please pray for a calm school year!:dizzy:

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 20, 2012

Come here, vent often! We'll pull you through with as much advice and commiseration as we can.

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 20, 2012

24. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 20, 2012

Here's my cynical theory on it. He wants his own daughter to outshine the others. He knows he can give her the supplies to make it happen and so, he will restrict the supplies for the others....maybe that's too cynical, but meh...

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2012

Aside from your nerves, how did it go? What did he say?

26. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 20, 2012

Overall he was very nice and polite to me today. But he did see me cart a car load of stuff home. (Clothes pins, binder clips, boarders I wont be using, clipboards, and games for "rainy days", my pocket chart stand, my extra pocket charts, my Handwriting Without Tears manipulatives, all not stuff I NEED, but living 60 miles away I want there because I do not drive, I take the train)

BUT I heard him chew out and swear at my P right in front of other staff & students (the students were HS kids there volunteering to help move furniture around).

I was appalled! And told the P so. She said we would talk about it later, but she left before I did.