Unsure about Resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Anonymous425, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Feb 2, 2019

Last summer, I paid to have someone help me with my resume and cover letter. I'm not sure now if that was a good idea or not. I think it looks good, but part of it doesn't feel like it is in my own words. I also have gained more experience subbing and work for two districts now.

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 2, 2019

You can take out identifying details and post the rest of it here. We could help. No charge :p

4. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Feb 2, 2019

(This is my resume without names and the format.)

Name
    Address ❖ City Zipcode ❖ (555)555-5555 ❖ name@gmail.com

TEACHING PHILOSOPHY
    As a teacher, it is my duty to create a safe, student-centered classroom community that supports the social, emotional, and cognitive development of all students.
    EDUCATION
    Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice | Graduated with Honors
    University, City, State
    CERTIFICATIONS
    K-8 State Elementary Education Certification
    American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence
    • Fulfilled Praxis exam requirements by passing Professional Teaching Knowledge exam and Multiple Subject exam.
    • ABCTE certification is approved by the Idaho Department of Education and meets “highly qualified” requirements of No Child Left Behind Act.
    • Eligible for State 3-year interim teaching license upon offer of employment.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

School District, City, State April 2018-Present
    Substitute Teacher
    • Delivered small group instruction in math and reading in resource rooms.
    • Designed and implemented differentiated lesson plans in an inclusive setting.
    • Collaborated with service providers to meet IEP goals and objectives for students.
    • Supported school by supervising students before and after school to ensure their safety.
    • Administered assessments and analyzed data to guide instruction and monitor student progress.

School District, City, State January 2016-March 2018
    School Support Assistant
    • Collaborated with colleagues to effectively support all students with meeting IEP goals.
    • Supervised and engaged with students of multiple grade levels at lunch and during recess.
    • Implemented positive behavior supports and interventions to support success of all students.
    • Communicated with teachers and administrators regarding students’ noncompliance with rules.

County Juvenile Court Services, City, State January 2015-May 2015
    Teacher Assistant/Intern
    • Graded papers and organized data while maintaining confidentiality.
    • Provided tutoring to small groups of students requiring remedial instruction.
    • Supervised students throughout the school day to ensure their safety and engagement.

Nonprofit, City, State February 2013-June 2014
    Childcare Volunteer
    • Supervised students and engaged with them during recreational activities.
    • Supported students with their homework and successfully accessing technology.

PROFICIENCIES
    Communication
    Differentiation
    Collaboration
    Classroom management
    Technology
    Progress monitoring

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is my cover letter:

July 13, 2018

Substitute Teaching Position

To Whom It May Concern,
    It is with great interest that I am writing to submit my name as a candidate for a substitute teaching
    position within your school. My experience, diverse background, and passion for teaching make me anexcellent candidate for this position; and I am interested in this position for several reasons.

My knowledge of teaching and learning combined with my background experiences in working with students with varying needs, will make me a great complement to the staff at your school. I have a variety of experiences with substitute teaching as both a general and special education teacher. These experiences include delivering small group instruction to students in inclusive settings, delivering whole group instruction, and collaborating with other educators to ensure the needs of every student are met. In addition, I have collaborated with colleagues to gain an understanding of the IEP goals that students were working towards and to gain invaluable teaching strategies that helped support these students in making progress towards meeting their goals.

As a substitute teacher within your school, I will work hard to make connections with students
    on many levels. Through my experiences, I have learned that when students make connections to
    their learning, then learning can occur at the highest levels. Therefore, I will regularly provide
    students with opportunities to make connections to their learning, so that it is meaningful and
    engaging. I will also regularly communicate with families and colleagues to help build our
    school community. I have successfully done this at previous schools. For example, as a substitute
    teacher I went on a field trip and collaborated with parents to supervise our students. This
    experience certainly contributed to building a positive climate in our school community.

In closing, I will complement your school by bringing innovative ideas and implementing a variety of instructional strategies including using technology as an approach towards teaching in ways that will meet the needs of each student. I have extensive experience in using technology to engage students and allow them to expand on their thinking. In addition, I have experience with collaborating with others and working as part of a team and creating the conditions that lead to the holistic development and success of all students.

I look forward to bringing the aforementioned skills and strategies to your school, to help your students reach their true potential. I also look forward to speaking with you in an interview, to further discuss this wonderful opportunity.
    Sincerely,
    Name

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 2, 2019

I think it looks great. No changes are needed, in my opinion. The person(s) who edited this clearly know/knows what he/she/they is/are doing.

6. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Feb 2, 2019

The person who worked on this edited from what I originally wrote and he is a principal. I just wasn't sure what other people thought.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2019

I guess the real question is whether or not this resume has done everything you hoped it would. Has it effectively generated enough interest in your qualifications to snag interviews for you? I am assuming that you may be wanting more than jobs subbing, since you are qualified for an interim teaching license once hired, but maybe that is not the case. Since I am on the other side of the country, I would think that perhaps you are wanting a full time position that would (possibly) lead to a standard certificate. This resume is more than adequate if all you want to do is sub, IMO. Has it been hard to secure interviews for substitute positions with this resume? Are there many or few districts where you reside? Two districts in an agricultural setting may be excellent, whereas two districts in an urban district may be less impressive. Without more information, it is hard to know what you think is wrong with your resume. Trust me when I say that resumes are more formal and less conversational, so there is a certain formality expected. The cover letter does a nice job of pointing out your skills. I find the cover letter a tad on the long side, but that is just what I have been taught.

8. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Feb 2, 2019

I currently work for two different school districts as a substitute teacher. (They are both urban.) One is more competitive than the other so I would probably need a Master's degree. The other one is still competitive, but they are more likely to hire people with alternative certifications. That is why I have applied to work as a permanent sub. I have had two interviews, but haven't had luck. I'm now trying to figure out how to find a full time job and have gotten advice from my local ABCTE coordinator and my local college.

In regards to my resume, I'm not sure about the proficiencies part. I have done some progress monitoring, but don't do that very often. And I didn't actually write the cover letter.

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Feb 3, 2019

Is your goal to continue subbing? If so, I think what you have posted fills the bill. If your goal is to obtain a full-time teaching position, I would want to know more about actual experiences where you took the instructional lead. Did you student teach? Do you have experience in planning lessons? How familiar are you with state standards? - and so on

10. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Feb 3, 2019

For now, I plan on subbing until I get enough experience and references. But no, I didn't do student teaching because I went through the ABCTE program.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2019

As an AR teacher, I can tell you that at some point you have to make sure you have a desirable credential, or potential credential, lots of perseverance, and a boat load of self confidence that you may sometimes not feel, but which you can project. I am not familiar with ID credentials, so not the best reference. In NJ, where I am, the addition of a qualification and passing Praxis in Math or Science would go a long way towards getting you a job. A good look at your BS, evaluated by the state, to see what credentials may be applicable with your transcript would be an excellent investment of your time. I wish I knew more about your state's DOE and license requirements. It would seem that at the very least you would be looking at Praxis Exams, if any were needed.

12. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Feb 3, 2019

I attended a certified new applicant orientation in October and they said they hire ABCTE candidates. But if I want to teach junior high (which I don't), I would have to pass some subject area Praxis tests.

And recently, I have been getting advice from my local ABCTE coordinator and my local university. The ABCTE coordinator said to apply to charter schools and be confident even if I didn't feel like it.

When I contacted my local university, they mentioned a couple of master's programs I could enroll in that could enhance my resume since I live in a very competitive area. They mentioned a two year master's program and a literacy endorsement master's program. My problem with going back to school right now tbough is that I really need a full time job and don't want to get into more debt without knowing if I will be hired in the future. So, because of this, I'm in a predicament.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2019

I'm not much help if you are opposed to teaching MS (Jr. High). I actually liked teaching MS, and that was where I saw myself finding a teaching home, but I was surprised to end up in HS. I had enough science credits to earn a K-12 Biology certification, and enough credits in both ELA and SS to earn MS certifications in each, without having to take more classes. When the opportunity presented itself to acquire my ESL certification for virtually no cost (tuition reimbursement), I paid for the 3 classes to finish my MEd. in TESOL for a grand total of $4500. Worth every penny. I have also acquired my TOSD certification to teach SPED in my content certifications, and tuition reimbursement paid half of the tuition for the 21 credits. I subbed a number of years before going AR, and I knew that I didn't want to work with the very young Elementary grades. I had spent a fair amount of time being requested for SPED in the MS, primarily in Science and ELA, so I found myself comfortable with the age group. In NJ, if you have 15 credits in the content area you are hoping to add, you only have to pass the MS Praxis exam, along with the Elem. Ed. Praxis exam. I do have some MS students now, but the majority are HS. I would not have jumped into a master's program without the tuition reimbursement coupled with the low cost per course. I will say that much of what I learned in the ESL studies has been beneficial in teaching literacy in my content areas, which is pretty much mandatory since the changes in NGSS and Common Core. I did have to take the AR courses to prepare for my standard certificate, but it was inexpensive, and taken while I was employed full time. As a science content teacher, finding a job was much easier than I thought it would be. Had I tried to get a job teaching elementary, I am certain that I would have struggled to find that first job as an AR applicant - the category is just saturated.

Best of luck.

14. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Feb 3, 2019

I have worked in middle school/junior high resource rooms and have enjoyed them. I also did an internship at an alternative high school which I liked when I was a criminal justice major. Maybe I'll explore that more. I'm not sure.

15. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Apr 10, 2019

I wrote the first draft of my resume and someone else edited it to make it sound better.