Unsolicited positive comments and Xmas cards....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2014

Another thread from a clueless teacher.... That would be me.....

This past half-year has been a million times better than what I experienced last year! Everyone has noticed an improvement from my wife to administration......

So, during a Christmas program held by show choir and the 6th-8th grade chorus classes, a student (that I don't have) blurts out, "Mr. xxxxx, I don't have you but I think you're a GREAT teacher!" I reply, "THANKS!" but in the back of my mind, I'm asking myself..... How could he know that? I don't even think of myself as a great teacher... In fact, I don't think I'm that good a teacher to begin with.... Over time, I think I can get to that point, but at this moment, no way.....

Then Christmas break is around the corner and I get cards and little gifts.... Some of the cards say, "Thank you for being the BEST TEACHER EVER!"

I never realized I could be someone's "best teacher ever." This is only my 2nd year and they've had teachers before who have taught longer and definitely better.....

I also received a hand-written note from a girl who wrote, "I love you, Mr. xxxxxx." I also don't have her as a student but would say hello to her when she said hello to me.... I only found out what her name was about 2 weeks ago!

All this lovefest has thrown me for a loop. :lol:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 24, 2014

Enjoy every minute of it. You've obviously touched a few hearts along the way to becoming the best teacher ever. That may be more important than the perfect lesson plan.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2014

I agree with Upsadaisy. Don't over-think any of it.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2014

Enjoy the accolades and remember them when you are going through a tough patch. Congratulations!

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2014

Are you really hot? That would explain why the girl is writing you love notes. Our 7th grade science teacher is young and really good looking - a fact agreed upon by students and female teachers - and the MS girls are always telling him how much they "love" him.:)

Anyway, enjoy the praise; it sounds well-deserved!:thumb:

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 24, 2014

Congratulations on making a positive impact on young lives.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 24, 2014

Enjoy every compliment you get :)
    You never know how you impress the kids, it may be patience, consistency, being strict or being cool, it can be anything and each student will like different things. But most importantly they can always sense if you care about them, they don't have to be in your class to know that. And kids talk. I have very few kids at our school whom I don't have in my class and I always get surprised when they call me by my name, and say nice things.

And get this "I'm not a good teacher" out of your head :)

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2014

I am definitely NOT HOT! An almost-40-year-old man with a balding top and a belly! Whatever you call a muffin-top for a guy I have about 4 times as much! Since it's not the hotness, I guess it's the charm and I can be pretty charming. :lol: And I think the kids can tell that I care a whole lot! I'm pretty calm about things and they can talk to me about anything and I'm ok with it.

One girl told me about how she tried and tried to have a relationship with her biological father but he was a drug addict and didn't want to be part of her life. :(. I told her that no matter how hard she tried, this guy could only give what he had. Then she said something about Christmas presents and I said it's not about giving gifts and presents. I said if he didn't have love within himself, he wouldn't have it to give to others...... She seemed to understand my point, I think....

Another time, two girls came up to me and asked if they could go to the office so they could call home because she needed pads. I said to go to the nurse and ask if she had any, then call home..... I wondered how often preteen girls would walk up to a male teacher and say what she said to me!

Years ago, before teaching, I worked at a place where there were lots of younger and older female employees. One time, and I remember this because I found it quite odd, I was talking to a female coworker about fitness and working out.... I told her she looked great and she said, "no I don't! I'm 150 lb.". Now, normally, women never tell other women their weight! So for her to tell me how much she weighed???? I never asked her for that information I would never ever ask anyone!! It's like people like talking to me because I am a great listener. :)

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2014

The cards just show it's not just about who is the most experienced or knows the most about teaching or delivers every lesson perfectly when it comes to impacting the lives of children! Good work!