Unreliable People

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mollydoll, Jul 27, 2009.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

You can't trust anyone, it seems. A guy I worked with for past 2 years who is always reliable and shows up didn't show to help me move. We were giving him $60 to help my dad with bed, bird cage, bookshelf and some boxes. 2 Hours work.

Now, I have a truck needing to leave and a $3000 Temperpedic queen size bed and no way to get it out. I am probably going to have to have a removal service come dump it this week.

Not a good day.

Moving is really a lot of no fun at all. And we have to do it again in a few weeks from my parents' apartment.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2009

Yowsers! Moving again next wk too!

So sorry about that guy doing that to you. I'd love to hear his reason to you for not showing! :mad: There's definitely no excuse why he couldn't call & let you know he couldn't show up.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

I was a b%#%#$. I "accidentally on purpose" wrote him an email explaining nicely that I hoped he would show up and help us because he promised last night (confirmed with me) and we were counting on him. Only, I somehow managed to send it to the job list serve. Oops.

My dad is out looking for some guys to come help.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

molly~I hope that you were able to find some help.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

My dad had to pay some guys from Atlantic $300 on their break to come do it. So, it is out, but yowza, that is sure money we didn't have right now.

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

Can you ask some neighbors?

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I'm glad you didn't have to throw away the bed. It's a shame your dad had to fork out that much money though. I think this guy would be an ex-friend now. In this day and age, to not call someone is unacceptable. Unless he had an emergency where he was unconscious.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

I agree with Zoe. I'm glad your dad found some guys to help.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

I'm sorry... I guess it's obvious, but I have no idea what that means.

11. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Moving day is when you find out who your true friends are!

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

So true! :hugs:
    That's why I always hire movers! :lol:
    I can't handle the truth!

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

That's the thing--he wasn't a friend. He was someone I have worked with who has been looking for extra money! We agreed on a price (pretty generous--we were not being stingy!) and he confirmed last night.

If my friends had been around, they would have shown up 100%. Moving end of July in a college town is kind of iffy. The two guys I know who would have not only been there but would have required creative means to reimburse for their trouble are out of town for the whole months of July/August.

It worked out, thanks to SuperDad and SuperMom. Wasn't a good situation though--I had back surgery recently and my dad has severe problems with his legs. I have no idea how he did as much as he did.

I'm dosing on my vicodin and muscle relaxants now, but I can't imagine how my mom and dad must feel. My mom did all the cleaning that I couldn't because of my back. We had a roommate move out in July and he didn't do anything before he left.

My parents are absolute saints. I am still here in my apartment until end of the week, so they are unloading at the other end. I sure hope the people my dad used to work with are going to show up!! They are people who always need money, and they work in a warehouse, so they are used to moving stuff.