Unprofessional FB teacher

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

:dizzy::dizzy:

I'm hoping you were somehow kidding.

That's not exactly the way I would characterize our legal system, and most certainly not the way I would hope they operate.

2. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

Never once did I even consider thinking of any of my students as "future criminals." Not even the 10th grader I once taught who was up on charges for attempted murder. Even he had the potential to turn his life around. He didn't turn his life around, but it was my job to treat him as if he would.

And I couldn't even imagine thinking of the first graders I now teach as anything other than future engineers, lawyers and doctors. To be sure, not every one of them will go on to get a post-graduate degree. But I have to treat every one of them like they will.

The sad thing is that this teacher who called her students "future criminals" probably has lots of kids in her class who actually will go on to do great things - that is if they can get to adulthood without being constantly called "criminals."

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 26, 2011

:agreed: I couldn't have said it any better.

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 26, 2011

I would gladly step in & take her job & be happy to have a class. Isn't it her job to give them an education they deserve to move forward in live and avoid becoming the stereotypes she grouped them as?

5. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2011

Bravo:thumb:

My dad was a music teacher at a school for the emotionally disturbed for many years. The students were resident there, and generally had been ordered there by the courts.

If he'd treated them as potential criminals, he wouldn't have brought me to his workplace as a child. And in fact, while I'm sure there was violence there, personally I never felt unsafe.

My dad's now retired (from teaching), and regularly gets communications from many of his students -- some of whom now own their own successful businesses.

That anyone would think of first graders as "future criminals" -- well, I really don't think someone like that is cut out for teaching. And yeah, that's pretty much regardless of whether they feel that privately or are foolish enough to post it publically.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2011

Same here. I'm sure there are hundreds of brand new teachers right out of college who are not only eager to take her job, but will do a good job at it too!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2011

Wow. It's all I can say.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 26, 2011

:rofl:
    Sarge, you just crack me up!

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 26, 2011

I teach in an urban district, and I am shocked that she said this on FB. I do not see my students as "future criminals"-but as children who deserve the best education they can get! Shame on her.

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

Sorry Aliceacc, we're just going to have to agree to disagree with that one! Whether we want to admit it or not, MANY of our young men are regularly harassed by police officers on patrol. The judge comment, maybe was pushing it, but the truth is, those same "future criminals" that teacher referred to will probably be characterized as such when they are older if they find themselves surrounded in poverty in low income communities. My point is: they will probably hear those derogatory comments for many years to come if they do not get the education they deserve, go to college and become someone great.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Even if we do agree to disagee, I don't go along with your career advice.

The "teacher" should go into law enforcement? To perpetuate the problem?

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

Wow. You know, I've had "current" criminals in my class... but I'm not about to judge them on the mistakes/poor decisions they make outside of school. I actually never go read the report when we receive notice that a kid's been arrested - I'd rather not know what they did.

And I'd sure as heck never make a comment about them on FB. NOTHING is private online. NOTHING.

(Oh, gosh, can you imagine how those kids must feel, knowing what their teacher said about them?!)

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 27, 2011

What bothers me even more about all of this is that the kids now KNOW she said it. Surely gossip and media attention have made it common knowledge in her community, and it makes me sad to think of those little kids at home, listening to the adults around them talking about this and thinking, "Gee, I thought Ms. X liked me..."

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 27, 2011

(Oops, didn't see that Chebrutta had posted nearly the same thing! Sorry!) :)

15. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

Now, with that comment, I was being sarcastic! Of course I wouldn't want people with that kind of thinking to terrorize the streets.....