Unprepared!!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 7, 2007

Students come to my class unprepared from other classes... no pencils or paper. I am tired of it! These kids are NINE AND TEN YEARS OLD. How do I reiterate what I mean harshly, starting in the second half of the year (which is... now)?

Then sometimes my own homeroom students are in the same boat, especially one student who never seems to have anything at all.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 7, 2007

I teach 5th grade. I make a really big deal about talking to the kids about their job. It covers a lot of areas, not just supplies (how they dress, how they act, taking care of their space, and so on). In the past I have even talked to those from other homerooms who come to me for science about "renting" the desk they are in. When they do something that goes against their job (such as not being prepared), they get a formal "write - up" in their folder. I explain how, in a job, if you continue in a course of action after a write-up then you are penalized further. Since they receive their pay in the form of treats, free time, fun activities, etc, they they "pay" by giving up one of those.
    As far as the homeroom goes, I've had kids in the past who never have supplies from home. I have trouble punishing them when the parents are the ones not buying the supplies. I will first send a note home saying I know how hard it is to find the supplies here in our small town and letting them know if they want to send $10 (our supply list is VERY short) then I will be happy to pick the supplies up in a nearby town. If that doesn't work, honestly, I end up providing the basics myself.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 7, 2007

I don't think it is worth the battle until they are in 6th grade, to tell you the truth. Let them keep a pencil box with supplies in your room.

5. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jan 8, 2007

Two words: natural consequences.

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2007

I actually sold pencils last year for $0.10- all the money went to their field trip, but you would be surprised how many kids suddenly said "oh yeah, I found it!"...they also get annoyed writing with a crayon very quickly...

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 8, 2007

Depending on the parent makeup, try having a rental form (to borrow from the above poster's term) and if they "rent" supplies from you, they must fill out 2 of these forms. One goes home, and one goes in your files. 3rd form from the student gets a hefty consequence like Christy suggests. The form doesn't need a lot for them to fill out (just some checks and a signature). You don't want to waste your class time.

8. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jan 8, 2007

My students each have a Popsicle stick with their name on it. They have to put it in my pencil can to borrow one. If they do not return the pencil and get their stick back out at the end of the class, they get a write-up in their discipline folder. The majority of my students are from very low socioeconomic backgrounds and honestly, the parents can't afford supplies. I try to keep extra supplies handy, but with 80+ students, it can get expensive!

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jan 10, 2007

this is a big issue with my 7th graders this year...yesterday we talked about this problem. I asked them how many of them have ever had to rush around because they couldn't find their shoes in the morning before they left for school. (most raised hand) I then asked them whether they just came to school without their shoes (no) then I explained that pencils and paper were just as important as your shoes. you wouldn't dare come to school without shoes and you should feel the same way about entering my classroom without a pencil.

I noticed several students proud to have pencils today hoping I would notice so hopefully the little speech will continue to work.

10. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Feb 14, 2007

One of my classes is a low level science class for freshman. I have the kids for the last hour of the day. I have several students who do not bring anything with them. They don’t have a pencil or paper, let alone their homework. I have stuck firm with my policy of not lending out pencils. However, this has turned into a time waster and attention getter – trying to find someone to lend them the supplies they need. It interrupts the class and I find it very annoying.

11. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Feb 25, 2007

A teacher I work with makes the students give her "collateral" to borrow a pencil, pen etc. If they need a pencil, she will loan them one, but they have to give her something they usually need for another class - a textbook, their calculator etc. They get it back when they return the borrowed item. It seems to work for her.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 25, 2007

My mom always use to use a shoe for collateral. She figured they weren't going to leave the room without their other shoe. Of course, you probably can't do that now due to fire issues. ;)

13. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Feb 27, 2007

Make it a game. Put them into teams of 5 (mixed with responsible and irresponsible kids in each team.) Write each team name on chart paper. Each team earns a point each time they bring all their supplies to class. By the end of a week, month, quarter (whatever you choose), the team that has the most points wins extra credit points or a free hw pass, etc.

14. Madrone

Madrone Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

I can understand the game idea for elementary, especially lower grades, but I still have this issue daily with 8th/9th grade. The ones who are chronic offenders use it as a means to go around the class asking for pen/pencil and paper. It gets them attention and they don't care that they miss bell ringers while they do it. It is worth that part of their grade to them in order to socialize.

I am still debating whether I would rather supply the pencils and paper or not. I know it is their responsibility to be prepared, but is it worth the class time lost for them to prepare themselves?

15. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Mar 3, 2007

I know it seems like a big deal, but IMO it really isn't just go out and buy a lot of cheap pens and pencils. I know they are out there, and when they run out well then they won't be able to partcipate in class.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 3, 2007

You have to be careful. Some kids would feel like they would never need to bring anything because it is so convenient. They probably wouldn't care that eventually it would run out. This isn't a bad idea, but they may need a consequence or a sign up sheet (for tracking) to attach to it.

17. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Mar 3, 2007

yeah I agree with cutNglue...you should track it just for your reference

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 3, 2007

Would it be too demeaning to have a separate section of the room for anyone who is "checking out" supplies that day? They can ask buddy's for supplies, but anyone caught out of their seat for this after the bell rings, is seated there too. "Caught being Unprepared" section.

19. Elem Teacher

Elem Teacher Guest

Mar 3, 2007

My son is a high schooler and I know that for the past few years, intermediate and high school, his teachers said right at back to school night, I won't give them a pen or pencil without collateral. It takes a lot less time than allowing the students to socialize to get the things they need. Take a pencil, leave your backpack, or shoe, or anything that the kid won't leave without. The kids actually like it.

20. Catherine

Catherine New Member

Mar 4, 2007

I teach in high school and I find that the freshmen (14-15 year olds) are the biggest offenders as far as not being prepared for school. Perhaps they may be used to some teachers in middle school being more lenient and more accomodating. They often will ask permission to go to their lockers during class to get their textbook, notebook, or find a pencil. I issue a tardy for each time this happens and eventually give detention. I constantly remind them of the connection between their lack of responsibility and the tardies and detentions they get but most don't seem to care for the first half of the year, then they slowly get the message that in our high school there are consequences and detention keeps them from sports activities after school.

21. teachabc

teachabc Rookie

Mar 8, 2007

I love this idea!!!! Do you have this typed up to give the parents???? If so could you send me a copy???

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 9, 2007

I don't really have anything typed up on it. It's just something I do each year. I just try and word it carefully about it being their job and that they lose privileges. I've never had a parent question me on it so I've never had to write it up. I'll pm you a copy of one of the supply letters that I send. That's about all I have copies of.

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 9, 2007

Here's the letter. Hope it helps!

24. teachabc

teachabc Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

Thanks so much!!!