Unprepared

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Milsey, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 30, 2016

Had an interview Wednesday. I was only given 5 hours' notice. I got the email at 10, was told to report at 3. I was not off that day. I had to drop my daughter off for oral surgery. Got her home by 2. Didn't even have time to freshen up, fix my hair. Rushed off to the interview - two surly men in suits - one had very bad breath. I could smell it every time he opened his mouth. Asked ME for my resume, even though I had sent it a few days ago. I could tell they were making up the questions on the fly. Asked me to fill out an application even though all my info was in the packet I had e-mailed them. Application alone took me 40 minutes to fill out - 40 minutes I'll never get back.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2016

Sorry you didn't get much notice. Since the application is part of most job hunts, anyways, was this just a school you had sent out resumes to hoping to snag an interview?

What type of teaching job are you looking for now?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2016

I had 3 hours notice for my last interview; I was teaching gym for 2 and a half of those hours and then had a 20 minute drive. I had no time to change, just cleaned up as best as I could, and let the interviewer know what I had been doing in the time between his call and my arrival. While we all want to look our best, and in an ideal situation we can, we also need to be able to roll with it when circumstances are less than ideal. My sense is that I would not have been viewed in such a positive light if I had asked for a delay in the interview time, or if I had asked for a sub so that I could go home and change.

Since you are actively job hunting, I suggest keeping a few copies of you resume, etc., in your car, along with a jacket or cardigan you could throw on in case of a last-minute call.

bella84 likes this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 31, 2016

I've been through teaching interviews that ask you to fill out their application despite already having your resume and other information. If that's what they want, that's what I've done. As for the interviewer's halitosis, that sounds awful. How did you handle it?

6. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 31, 2016

I agree with keeping a few resumes in the car - I've always heard that it's a good idea to bring a hard copy to interviews so that you can reference it if needed and provide the contact info on it again, and after forgetting once and freaking out I started leaving about 5 in a folder in my car. If nothing else, it helped me feel prepared and confident.

7. ece

ece Rookie

Jul 31, 2016

I agree, I keep multiple copies of my resume in my portfolio in case anyone asks for a copy. Some interviewers read it like they've never seen it before. I also keep extra copies of everything I have in my portfolio in a folder at home so I can easily replenish anything.

Milsey, it's frustrating to go on interviews that you feel afterwards were a waste of time. You never know, though, what you'll end up getting. My previous job, I interviewed for during a week where I had several interviews and my grandmother was also very sick. The day I had the one for the job I ended up getting, my grandmother was being admitted to the hospital around the same time. I was so worried about her that I was able to put it aside and answer all the interview questions when I was in there, but as soon as I got out, I remember calling and asking about her, being nervous as we didn't think she'd be coming home. I couldn't even remember what I had said during the interview later that night. When I got the call from them, a couple weeks later, I thought for sure it was a rejection and was completely taken by surprise when I was told I had the job. So any interview could end up turning into something and is worth still going on...

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2016

This time of year, admins feel pressure to fill their remaining openings. Given its late in the game, it is best as you suggested to go with the flow: fill out extra copies of required forms if requested, always bring exta resumes...
    As for the breath concern, could be the interviewer in question had grabbed lunch on the go between interviews...I'd give him the benefit of the doubt just as I'm sure the OP hoped they gave her.

9. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 1, 2016

They asked me for an updated resume. The one I gave them was from January. Do they want me to add my babysitting/petsitting jobs? :cool:

Tutor likes this.
  10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 1, 2016

I've had to put up with smelly students. It's part of school life, it seems. :rolleyes:

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 1, 2016

They may want you to fill in any gaps in your employment (Rockhubby was out for a few years and had to explain that). If you've been doing stop-gap work that is out of the classroom, that's probably fine to explain to them. If you've been subbing, definitely include that.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2016

:rolleyes: Oh my, Milsey.
    Did you finish the school year (2015-16) in your last school or were you not working last school year? Be prepared to discuss job/school changes if you have a history of such.

13. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 6, 2016

HR called again about scheduling me for an interview. I already sent them an e-mail stating I already interviewed with an administrator. The pay must be low because I inquired about the hourly rate, and received no reply. I was told I would get paid over the summer.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2016

What kind of job is this for which you interviewed?