unprepared students (ex. no pen, no pencil)

Discussion in 'High School' started by mthteach, Jul 19, 2008.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I tried the flowers - the kids ripped them off when I wasn't looking.

I keep a cup of pens and pencils in the back. When they are gone, they are gone. They will have to borrow from someone else.

As for paper, I charge a quarter for a thin spiral notebook, like those that are on sale for 5 cents at staples right now.

I also write students up for being unprepared 3 or more times. But I only do it if they are disruptive about it. If you get a pencil in the beginning of class from me or a friend, that's ok. But if you are sitting there not doing anything or yelling across the room WHO HAS A PENCIL?? then you get a mark in the book. I have never actually had this happen 3 times.

2. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 7, 2008

My rental fee for a pen or pencil is the student's left shoe. Seriously! They will walk out without their IDs, notebooks, or even their wallets, but they need both shoes. Why the left? I'm not sure, but that's the foot I always demand.--totally fun, I'm not sure it'll jibe in a science lab (since footwear is required), but I like it :):2up:

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 7, 2008

I don't teach high school and I might feel differently if I was the one supplying all these small items but...

How many times do I lose pencils and pens as an adult? Tons. How many times have I forgotten items? Tons. Shoot, I lose my KEYS on a daily or at least weekly basis. We want to teach our students responsibility but there comes a point when we have to realize that for many it will be a life long lesson that should not make or break the mood of the class.

Now homework, that's a different subject for me. Our school district's policy says nothing is technically "late" until 3 days or so before the reporting period. So students can turn things in up to 9 weeks late! Now THAT, my friend, is worth the battle and does not teach responsibility.

4. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

While it's true that we all lose things, we have learned methods to solve these "problems" so that we are ready to go. I for one wear my school keys on my neck. Students also need to learn how to find solutions to these situations, since being prepared is an important life skill. How many of us drive without our license? (OK, I did last week, totally forgot I moved it to a fanny pack for amusement park. But I corrected this as soon as I discovered it.)

I have let students "borrow" pens, pencils, paper, and even calculators, all of which are required materials for class. I can understand a student occassionally forgetting something, but some students bring absolutely nothing to class. Oh-they remembered their cell phones.

As for your district's late work policy-WOW! Don't know how a district could allow that. How do you handle that extremely late work?

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 7, 2008

I don't handle the late work thing. That came up with my own son. I was TICKED! I complained and said at the very least, even if I look like a helicopter parent, I want to be NOTIFIED when my child has more than 2-3 late assignments or missing anything more than a week so I can work on him on my end. This was one pissed off parent trying to help my son do 14 assignments in 2 days (all MATH), half I know we did before but he didn't turn in, so he wouldn't fail. I could have let him fail but he was struggling so much and doing so much for his first year of middle school that I wasn't going to let one mistake, even a major one, turn him off school like that. In this case, I DO feel the school is half accountable. His FIRST year here the teacher waited SIX months to tell me he wasn't doing NINETY percent of his homework. I was reading/signing his agenda book (4th grade). Where was SHE? He has a definate part but in these cases, so do WE. Not only did he get away with lying for SIX whole months successfully but now his lack of organization/his distractibility, etc isn't being helped by THIS policy. YEP, ticked. I don't mind a few late days. We all need help sometimes, but NINE WEEKS?!!

P.S. To my husband's chagrin I have NEVER fully developed the skills needed to remember where the heck I put my keys and having to get on base is the ONLY reason I do much better remembering to have my driver's license with me.

I do agree with having a sign-in sheet to catch repeat offenders and trying something to either hold them accountable or finding a strategy that might help them remember. I just don't see a need to make a big fuss for something many of us do everyday. We have to teach the skill but we have to balance that with morale and keeping a mood for learning when they come into the classroom. Again, I don't teach H.S.

I can be one of the most responsible people you know but don't ask me where my keys are on the spot or even if I know where to find a dag num pen! My husband's first place to look for my keys--do a drumroll--is in my ignition! Currently I'm looking for a reciept I purposly set aside, found twice, put it back and now can't figure out where I put it. I do try to find strategies. Some of them work. I have teaching supplies, for example, in CLEAR tubs and laid out where I can see through and see the materials without having to guess what is inside. Important things, in my closet, are kept in clear bins at eye level. If I don't do this, I will NOT remember where I put things.

6. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I plan on telling my students two things right off the bat:

1. You must bring *3* pens to class every day. Why three? My great-aunt used to teach in Catholic school (yes, she's a nun) and she told her students to bring one to lose, one to break or lend to a friend, and one to write with. I love it!

2. If you don't have a pen, you must find one before class starts. They have five minutes passing time, and locker breaks between all classes. If you ask ANYONE for a pen after the bell, you will be considered unprepared and have lunch detention. Asking a classmate for a pen while I'm teaching is as much a distraction as asking me!

It has always amazed me how many kids will give their last pen to a friend, only to become unprepared themselves. We'll see how this goes.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

Kickatstars, I like the way you think! :)

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 8, 2008

I don't give them anything. I tell them it is not my problem and not to bother me with it. Harsh, I know.

I do notice the problem is constant with certain kids and will make an excuse sometimes to tell them I wanted to give them a pencil because I have noticed they improved their grades or haven't been tardy lately. Anything to help them out, but it usually only happens once per kid per year so they never expect it.

If a child asks for one I will hand them a list of stores that sell pencils. That usually gets the point across.

9. dksquared

dksquared Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Where do you get golf pencils? I don't think I have ever seen them for sale. This is a great idea...I am tired of providing pencils, paper, tissue, etc. :up:

10. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I tend to lose my guitar pick if i put it down without paying attention. That's about it though :D

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

My biggest strategy is to make to-do lists to keep from suffering from my absent minded brain. Help me though if I lose that list!

Also, I tend to supply my own supplies for certain office supply type things if the school doesn't pay for it. The last thing I want is the teacher paying for that out of pocket and me losing them all the time. I also keep hearing aid batteries, tylenol bottles and pens everywhere I go. I have 3 sets of keys. A few years ago it took me 7 months to recover from a lost driver's license because I was in the middle of moving to a different state. So far I've only lost 2 cell phones in the past 6-7 years (officially, I mean). I don't carry a purse. I'm serious folks.

This is especially problematic of kids whose brains are processing either faster than normal (adhd, etc) or taking twice the time to process (LD, etc) and sometimes you don't know.

I really don't lose the important stuff (like job related stuff). I just lose those things we handle everyday that become automatic.

12. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 15, 2008

Golf pencils are sold at pretty much any office supply store. I know staples has them -- they come in packs of a 100 or so....and are often on the bottom shelf in the pencil/pen aisle.

You can also buy them off staples.com which offers free shipping for any sized order for teacher members!!!!

13. MaddieMommy

MaddieMommy Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I didn't realize they gave free shipping for teachers...GOOD TO KNOW. Thanks Math Teacher!

14. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 17, 2008

As long as you've signed up for a teacher rewards card (which is free) then you are eligible for free shipping!! All other orders have a minimum of $50, but teachers can ship a pack of highlighters for free!!!! :up:

15. Finally12

Finally12 New Member

Sep 1, 2008

I used to charge a nickel for a pencil. I replenished the supply with the money collected. Kids would come into my class to buy pencils for other classes! At the high school level I would assume that you have to make them more responsible.