Unprepared kids....

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by carolinafan, May 31, 2016.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 3, 2016

We = the school/district--not the individual teachers (per CA Ed Code).

ms.irene likes this.
  2. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jun 3, 2016

Agree. The conse

3. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Jun 6, 2016

Hey, it isn't just pencils.

This year, I was asked to take on two middle school Bible classes at a private Christian school for the entire second semester.

On the first day, I tell the 8th grade class to "take out your Bibles and turn to..."

Nobody moves. Not one student brought a Bible to their Bible Class, which they've taken every day since kindergarten.

Not one.

A couple of months in there were still students (one or two) who were not bringing Bibles thought they claimed they had Bibles. Somewhere, they'd been "taught" they didn't need Bibles in Bible class.

Backroads likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 7, 2016

How mean of you to requires bibles in bible class!! I'm sure they expected you to buy one for each of them just in case they needed it in class ;)

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2016

My students moan and groan about having to bring their French text to class every day. My favorite is when they don't bring it on quiz days because they thought we were just having the quiz and then doing "nothing." My quizzes are 20 minutes, and my classes are 100 minutes. We never do "nothing" so I don't know where they're getting this idea from!

Backroads and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  6. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jun 7, 2016

Yeah, that's so evil. What were those Bible teachers thinking?!

Clay Morgan likes this.
  7. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Aug 31, 2016

For my first few years (about 20) I fought the battle of the pens, pencils, books, paper, stapler, list goes on..... In my mind I was helping them be "responsible" and it was good, right?? Maybe...
    SO finally I came up with little ways to NOT WASTE CLASS TIME. Because that is what I was doing, wasting class time, making students miss work, go to locker, borrow a pencil, etc., etc., ad nauseum. I finally got a wall chart with clear windows, numbered the wall chart, assigned numbers to students, and put in it a pencil, a pen, a marker. I check it at the end of each class to make sure all are returned, call out the students that failed to put it back, life is simpler now. I also manage to get a class set of books each year to use for class (this takes some cooperation from admin) and make sure I get them back at the end of class (stack them at the wall, mark the wall so you can easily do a book count). I buy cheap paper at the beginning of school so I always have some for the year. These are things that worked for me. I finally stopped using so much class time putting out fires and can concentrate on the bigger things. It actually makes life easier and we are more productive in class.

ms.irene likes this.
  8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2016

Great ideas! I am at a Title One school and have kids that are homeless, couch-surfing, living out of cars, etc, sitting next to kids who have everything brand-new and brand-name handed to them by their families. The kids who show up unprepared tend to be in the first group, but you don't always know the backstory and I don't want to put a kid on the spot for not having a pencil when he might not have a bed at night. Currently, I keep a stock of extra pencils and recycled "scratch" paper for kids to access as needed. I like the idea of keeping a class set of books, although that would be tricky in my departments. The wall chart for supplies idea is brilliant, I may just have to steal it! I hate the idea of making a kids' day worse when I don't know the reason why he/she showed up unprepared.