unpacking in the morning

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by firstgurl85, Feb 4, 2008.

1. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Feb 4, 2008

Help! I have a very difficult student who (among other things) takes about a half hour to unpack in the morning. I feel like that by now she should have the routine down. By the time she actually gets in she has no time to do her morning work (which is already a reduced assignment!) Any strategies you can share would be helpful!:woot:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2008

Give her a certain time limit to unpack and begin her morning work. If she does, give her a sticker, after 5 stickers give her a small prize. Gradually increase the number of stickers between prizes.

4. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 4, 2008

I agree with some sort of incentive. Everyone unpacked by a set time 9:05 goes into a drawing for the day or week. You could also use sticks with their names on it & pull from there. Maybe even use a stopwatch or kitchen timer as a reminder. Posted on another thread was the idea of playing a song to signal events like amount of time left. Maybe the class could choose a song that would serve as the 2 minute warning to being settled. Good luck!:D

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 4, 2008

To get my kids into the habit of getting ready in the morning (backpack unpacked, lunch money, etc turned in to me, pencils sharpened, and backpack hung up) I would challenge them. The bell rings at 7:55 and I would start by giving them to 8:05 then would reduce it down to 8:00. They would get incentives from extra recess time to picking the music during free time. I had one class that just couldn't get it together. For them, I had to take extras away for a while before they started getting it right, then we went to incentives. If it's just one child you could make it a game for her, have an egg timer for her to switch on when she gets in the room so she can see the time she has left. If need be, maybe have a checklist on the side of her desk, or a "morning buddy" who can help her make sure she is getting everything done in time. Good luck!

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 4, 2008

First you have to figure out why the student is taking so long to unpack? Is it to get out of doing her morning work? If so instead of giving her incentives I would look at the work you are giving her. Even though it is reduced, is it too difficult for her?

If she is just slow, I agree with ChristyF, give her a morning buddy. A time limit is also a great idea.

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Feb 4, 2008

I agree with what others have said - a timer so she can see exactly how much time she has left, or a step by step check off sheet to follow. It could be pictures if she can't read yet. I also like the idea of everyone who's ready by a certain point gets entered into a drawing. I might have to try that with my class for packing up at the end of the day - their slowest time.

8. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Feb 5, 2008

I tried the timer this morning and she was done in 3 minutes!!!!!!!! Hopefully the timer doesn't lose its luster to her!

9. smalltowngal

Feb 5, 2008

Great news, firstgurl! I hope that she continues to do so well.

10. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Feb 6, 2008

My kids all know that they have 5 minutes at the MOST to unpack their things. To start them on this routine, earlier in the year, I set a timer for 5 minutes, and gave "terrific tickets" to all children who were unpacked and working on morning work when the timer went off. (Each child would then write their name on the terrific ticket, and put it into our jar. Every Friday, I pull out a few tickets, and the kids that are picked get to pick an extra prize from the treasure chest.) Terrific Tickets are awesome-- I give them for any kind of behavior ("choice") that I want to reinforce.
    Anyway, this routine (using the timer and terrific tickets) got the children used to unpacking fairly quickly. At this point of the year, I no longer use a timer or terrific tickets-- as I do not need to. Most children are unpacked in under 3 minutes... and even the kids that seem to take forever are done in under 5. :)

11. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Feb 6, 2008

I have the same problem with several of my kids. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem.Unfortunately at our school the kids start coming in at 7:15 and the last ones trickle in from breakfast at around 7:55.

Just out of curiosity--what time frame to kids at your school get into your classroom?

12. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Feb 7, 2008

They start coming in around 8:15 and the last one comes in around 8:35.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 7, 2008

Glad the timer worked. I think I need to get a timer for my slow eaters. At my school the kids eat breakfast in our classrooms. It is horrible!!

14. smalltowngal

Feb 7, 2008

Jaime, that would be me. I always eat slow, and the DH hates that!

firstgurl, the students stagger in for 20 minutes? That's new to me. Every school I've been in, they have waited in the gym or the cafeteria for the bell to ring to dismiss them to class.

15. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 7, 2008

My kids come all come down at 7:55. By the 8:00 bell, they are in their seats. I have one student this year who shows strong autistic tendancies. For her to unpack was an ordeal!!! I made her a sign for her locker with each thing she had to do in order to be fully unpacked.
    1. Behavior folder out and in basket
    2. Homework folder out and in basket
    3. lunchbox out and in botton of locker
    4. jacket hung up on hook

I took pictures of her things with my digital camera, printed them, laminated them, and attached them to her locker with velcro. Each morning, she would take them off the left side and move them to the right side when she was done with that task. We only had to use it for the first 6 weeks of school or so and by then, it was a habit that she remembered. I still have to remind her to speed it up some.. she moves in molasses. :)

16. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Feb 8, 2008

I wish mine all came within 20 minutes of each other. It takes about 40 minutes for all mine to get to the classroom--about 50 for them to all get settled in their seats.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2008

MrsPatten, I'm probably missing something here....... It's seems that your kids just "drift" into the classroom when it's convenient for them to do so??? Is that the way it is?:confused::confused:

18. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Feb 8, 2008

They are dismissed from the front hall at 8:15 but if all of the buses aren't here (which they usually aren't) it can take 25 minutes for all my kids to be present. it takes foreverrrrrrrrr! So then I have a speedy student, who is always the first one in and done with everything, sitting and waiting for all the others to unpack and get to their morning work. It is infuriating! AND we don't have bells in our school so the kids have no idea when they are supposed to be anywhere!

19. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Feb 11, 2008

Pretty much. We're a rural school so 90% of our kids are bus riders. The buses (well just one who even though the principal complained about her) start letting them off at 7:15. They aren't required to be in class until 7:50!!!! For some reason beyond my comprehension our principal wants to send them all the their classrooms instead of having a couple of teachers a week have morning duty and send them to the gym. But then the few on the late buses are the slow eaters from low-income homes and they go to breakfast so they're liable to not get to the classroom until 7:55!

It is the most irritating, frustrating part of my day.

20. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Feb 11, 2008

OMG! Mrs. Patten, that is crazy! I can certainly see where that would be irritating and frustrating. We need our mornings to prepare for the day!

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2008

That must be frustrating MrsPatten.... having kids pop into your classroom whenever....

Major.......:hugs::hugs:

22. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Feb 11, 2008

That's why I usually get to work at 6:55--just so I have time to do last minute preparations.