Unorganized

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by LaurenNJ, Dec 14, 2009.

1. LaurenNJ

LaurenNJ Rookie

Dec 14, 2009

I have a 5th grade boy who is soo unorganized it drives me crazy! He started out with a binder and different sections for each subject in September. By October I could not take all the papers stuffed inside his desk or piled on top of his desk. I mad him color coded folders for each subject to put his papers in. His desk area is still a mess. Does anyone have any suggestions to help keep him more organized. He often loses papers which in turn makes more work for me because I have to stop the lesson, send someone to the office to make a copy, etc.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2009

Maybe I'm mean, but I would stop making copies for him. Ask him to copy the master, by hand.

You might have to do weekly or daily organization checks with him. Perhaps at the beginning or end of each day, you can spend a minute or two with him, looking through his desk and his binder. That way, at least he can't amass tons and tons of stuff over the course of a month.

Can you make a checklist of things for him to do each day and/or week? Things like put his papers in the right section of his binder, recycle old papers, turn in homework, blah blah blah? Maybe you can even work out some sort of reward system for him where he earns something fun every time he turns in 5 checklists or whatever.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 14, 2009

If you'd posted this 6 weeks ago, I would have sworn up and down that you were my son's teacher.

I totally agree with cassie. Stop enabling him. I gave my son's teacher permission to fail his sorry butt if it he didn't shape up. It only took a couple of days before he got the picture. Now, his desk is still a mess by most people's standards, but at least he can find things.

5. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Dec 15, 2009

I have a student who sounds exactly like your guy. I do random "Desk Detective" inspections and if they fail inspection they come in for recess for 5 minutes to clean it. He also asked a buddy to help him with organizing his desk, and that has helped as well. I agree with the others - stop making copies for him. If my student can't find a paper, he gets a zero and makes it up at recess. That has definitely decreased the number of lost papers.

6. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 16, 2009

Our middle school principal will do spot checks of binders by holding them upside down by the bindings and letting any papers fall all over the hallway.

I'd see that this kid has an accordian file nicely labelled. He'd need to stay in briefly before recess, lunch or something he enjoys until his binder is organized. Every time there is a test in a subject, he should clean out all the worksheets from that section and staple it to the back of the test.

7. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Dec 22, 2009

Have him wait for you to find a "certain" paper before you let him go out to lunch, recess, etc. Then take a long time to find that paper. If there is a really fun assembly or activity make him wait a really long time until you "find" the paper. And I agree don't enable!