Unnecessary Drama We are Kindergarten teachers, we are all here for the kids!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by suzy7677, Feb 25, 2016.

1. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

HI,

I am looking for guidance, and I hope that this does not just turn into a rant. IF IT GETS TO BE ANNOYING...SCROLL TO END AND JUST TRY TO ANSWER MY QUESTION, PLEASE??

I am a new teacher to this district. There are 9 teachers for my grade level. For the entire year a veteran teacher and I have shared the weakest aid (temps, etc.). While the two other nearby teachers have full time strong aids.
    After awhile the principal had one of the strong aides divide her afternoons with the first teacher, the veteran teacher and I, so every third day I get her. I was annoyed one day when the aid who was supposed to be helping me was in the room with the other teacher that was supposed to be sharing her. I kind of called her on it and she (the teacher) screamed at me unprofessionally. I tried to talking with her and said you know we could be working together for a long time, lets handle this like adults. and she just shook her head and rolled her eyes. The next thing I know I am called into the principals office, feeling like a third grader with my tail between my legs. The principal was very understanding and agreed it was ridiculous that it had been brought to this level.
    She said if I had any problems in the future to come to her, big mistake...I thought things would smooth over and I kept procrastinating about "tattling" on the aid. She comes in late with an attitude and uses her phone, disappears. I ignored it and was just being nice until the other day when I said to her, do you need something to do? I tried communicating with her, as we all said we would work on by saying if I have done something to upset you please let me know. Maybe we should go and talk to the principal together. She said no and walked away and for the past two days has been just rude to me. I have heeded my mothers tried and true advice and have just been smiling and kind, maybe to excess.

Well, I again have been called to the principals office and have found out that it was the other teacher and "her" aide that have gone to the principal. They just don't like me and I am now feeling that it is a personal attack. I am very insulted, embarrassed and at a loss as to what I have done to make these two go to the principal again instead of speaking with me. I thought it was all water under the bridge, I mean really there are much more important things to be taking up our time. So I have a meeting tomorrow that the principal placed citing "communication issues." I happened to see her today and asked if she had a moment and she gave me a really uneasy look and said flatly no, our meeting will take a lot longer than 15 minutes for what we need to talk about. I ended up crying to my mentor (about how I feel like these two have it in for me and the principals attitude), who has volunteered to come with me as support, but at this point I don't know if she's coming for support or just to see what I say to share with the others. I really started to get upset when my mentor said "I know it feels like everyone is against you" Well, I didn't feel that way until you said THAT!
    Does anyone have any good advice on how to handle this situation?

I am very upset and do not want to turn into an emotional mess tomorrow at the meeting. Just going to go in with positive attitude, but I don't want to resort to their level and start telling her all the ways that I feel that I have been wronged. AHHHH, I thought this kinda nonsense was supposed to end in middle school....I feel that they have acted entirely unprofessionally and I do not want to do the same. Thank you to anyone who has read this, I apologize for I feel as though I am wining. Id appreciate any advice. Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  3. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Mar 2, 2016

Sorry you are going through this! Some people can be so petty for no reason! I honestly from reading your post can't figure out why they went to the principal about you? Wasn't the issue that the other K teacher wasn't sharing her aide? I'm not sure how you would be at fault.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2016

If you are in a union ake a rep with you. Other teachers should not e going to admin to talk about colleagues.

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Mar 2, 2016

I agree. Your principal may be able to work through this with all of you, but it is also a situation where you need to protect yourself. Take someone else with you to the meeting.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 3, 2016

This comment is insulting. It directly implies she is being childish. It may be true, but saying so isn't always the best way to communicate. You may not have meant it as insulting, but it is.

You allowed the behavior to continue making her feel that what she was doing was acceptable to you. If she didn't like you already, confronting her with the question could have been seen as a passive-aggressive way to point out you weren't happy after allowing her poor behavior to continue. It also indicated you weren't going to let her behavior continue. She was wrong. You also may have been better giving her a directive from the start and following up with the administration if she was shirking her duties.

I do believe you all have communication issues. Go to the meeting with support. Realize there will be things that are pointed out that you too did not handle in the best way. That in no way makes what they did right. You do need to be mentally prepared to accept that there are somethings you will need to work on too. Don't be afraid to talk about the needs of the student and how having an aid who isn't helpful hurts the children.

It may very well be that this aid has been playing games for years which is why she always worked for the same teachers.

I wish you the best. It is not right that she shirked her responsibilities. It is also not right that the other teacher threw a fit when you wanted the aid who was supposed to be in your room like she was supposed to be. Hopefully this meeting will be designed just to smooth things out and learn to communicate better between the three of you.

Luv2TeachInTX likes this.
  7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2016

How did the meeting go?

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 6, 2016

How did things work out?

9. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Mar 9, 2016

Oh my! Hang in there. For me, I hate confrontation! I think if this were me, I would live out the rest of the school year, but ask to transfer to another grade. Or possibly look for another job. My life is too short to not enjoy my job. Too bad this "good para" turned out to be horrible. I think you'd almost be better off without her in your classroom.

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Mar 12, 2016

How did things work out?

11. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Mar 16, 2016

I was going to suggest the same thing mrsammieb. Great suggestion on bringing a rep with you to this meeting and all future ones.