unlicensed teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Husakovic, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Jul 24, 2014

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately,I still haven't passed my PRAXIS exams and I was just wondering whether I could even apply to any jobs without having a full time teaching license yet? What are my options? Are there any?

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 24, 2014

Some public schools hire intern teachers, and they are not fully credentialed. In CA, interns have to have passed at least the Basic Skills test. Some privates hire teachers without credentials.

4. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 24, 2014

You could in the private sector. Which PRAXIS exams are you trying to pass?

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 24, 2014

In my area, it would be difficult to get a teaching job without a license. The school would have to prove it was an emergency placement and would have to send letters home notifying parents the teacher was not certified. Could you apply for para positions or sub while you wait to pass your exam?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2014

There are thousands of teachers who are fully accredited, licensed, certified candidates for the same jobs to which you will apply. You can certainly submit your application package but you'll ave to offer something compelling enough for schools to consider you over those ther teachers.
    You might have more luck applying and working as an aide/para or subbing until you can meet all of your state certification requirements.
    Good luck to you.

7. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 25, 2014

NC hires "lateral entry" teachers. It's how I got a teaching job 3 years ago. I only became fully certified in December. You can qualify for lateral entry if you have a bachelor's degree and pass the Praxis 1. You then have 3 years to get fully certified. NC is one of the lowest paying states though.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 25, 2014

Private schools may be the best option in this case. Even if you don't decide to stay there, you can gain classroom experience while you continue attempts to pass the Praxis.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

Some districts have TFA-like programs but only for their district. Here, we call it the Baltimore City Teachers Residency program and you only need a Bachelors and about $6,000.

Look for districts where they need teachers.

10. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jul 25, 2014

I worked at a Christian private school while I was still passing one of my two subjects praxis exam. I had to get a non tax license to be able to teach there...which is really easy.

11. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Jul 25, 2014

Ms. Douglas, how did you find your lateral entry position? I'm in NC and am in a grad cert program for middle/secondary licensure. Ive applied to a couple of schools, but I feel like my cover letter and resume don't even compare to someone with classroom experience. I've worked in higher ed for 8 years but no classroom experience. I can do my student teaching next year, but it will put me in a financial bind if I don't find a job right away.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2014

Think about what makes you stand out as a compelling candidate amongst those with full certifications and experience...that's what you need to highlight in your package.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

In my district it is rare for a teacher to be hired in via lateral entry. The only person at my school hired in the last 15 years as such was hired to teach chemistry mid-year. She was hired back the next year but it took A LOT of help from everyone in the department (and some outside of it) to make her successful. I was offered a lateral entry position while I was student teaching which happens periodically, but isn't truly lateral entry.

14. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

I put my resume on the NC website. http://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/Home
    I applied to jobs through the website. I took the job in a low income, inner city school. It was not the ideal environment for a first year teacher, but it was my foot in the door. I was able to student teach last year in my own classroom and get paid for it. I would keep applying and hope someone gets desperate. Honestly, my P got stuck with me because he ran out of options. He tried to hire 2 people before me. He doesn't regret it now and we have laughed about it on multiple occasions.

15. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

Can u pm me your district? I'm in the mountains, so rural areas sometimes hire laterals.

16. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

I want to thank everyone for their responses. I am sorry I didn't write earlier but it has been a busy week. I live in Rhode Island I don't know how hard it is to get a job here without a full teaching license. As I have already explained earlier on this forum, I decided to go to college abroad and get my Bachelors in English language and Literature and I have a couple of years of teaching experience over there, Elementary school and ESL courses for adults. Last year I have decided to return home to the U.S.A and got my transcripts evaluated , they have recognized my diploma as a Bachelors diploma of English lang. and lit. and I have a pretty high G.P.A. etc. Since returning home, I have gotten a substitute teaching certificate but I am still trying to pass my PRAXIS exams. Anyone from R.I. who could offer their opinion?

As far as I have heard, they only hire unlicensed teachers if they are desperate, meaning they couldn't find any licensed ones. LOL Could anyone recommend any such areas?

As far as the private schools are concerned, I know they don't require you to be state certified, but aren't they even more "picky" than public schools? How high are my chances of getting hired at a private school?

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 31, 2014

Oh no, private schools are far less picky than public schools.

18. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Aug 1, 2014

oh really? That's strange! Where can I find job postings for private schools?

19. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 1, 2014

I'm not sure why you would find it to be strange. Anyway, I don't think there will be a central location for private school openings.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2014

Private schools can be, and many are, as 'picky' as public schools. Consider that in a highly competitive state (like Ri, NJ, NY, etc), experienced, highly qualified teachers with traditional route certification are also looking at private schools. Again, you need to stand out as a compelling candidate to overcome the numbers of candidates with whom you are competing for any job in education. How will you do that?

In your search, make Google your friend. I found this on a quick search, but you can find many more such sites:

http://www.aisne.org/employment/

21. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Aug 1, 2014

To answer your question, the reason I find it strange is because parents pay a lot of money to send their children to private schools , yet the teachers don't have to be as experienced as public school teachers.

The only experience I have so far is a couple of years in Europe as an ESL teacher. God, I really hope I find something/ANYTHING this year...

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2014

I'm not sure which question you were answering?

One need not have experience as a public school teacher to teach in private, but a candidate should bring SOMETHING to the table. Non-experienced and not certified isn't competitive anywhere.
    . The alternate route thing is not the most desirable so you should highlight the experience you do have as an ESL teacher

23. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Aug 1, 2014

I was answering the question 2nd time around asked.