University of Phoenix

Discussion in 'General Education' started by msmullenjr, Sep 18, 2010.

1. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 18, 2010

My sister wants to go back to school for her credential. She already has her BA and passed the CBEST and the CSET. Someone suggested University of Phoenix, but I don't know anything about it. Does anyone have a pros/cons/opninions?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2010

Where, roughly, is she located?

4. Ananas

Ananas Rookie

Sep 18, 2010

I personally am going to Arizona State University but I have heard good things about the University of Phoenix. I heard that most the classes are very flexable and lots are available online. I don't have too many specifics on it though. But I am sure you or your sister can call the University and they can give you basic information on it.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 18, 2010

For-profit schools that are entirely online are really sketchy. I saw a Frontline special that said many of them let you pass without any rigor because they just want your money. Nurses never had to work in a hospital, teachers didn't have to student teach, etc. Now I don't know about UofP specifically, but I would have her research the program thoroughly before applying. Most of the time your state school will be cheaper.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 18, 2010

I did a course at UOP a few years ago. It was simply to upgrade. Ten courses online, and my certification would move up a level.

Was it an easy grade? Yes, but I also found that I learned a lot. You get what you put into it.

I don't know if I would recommend UOP as a way of getting certified, but for upgrading (especially while you are still teaching)

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2010

There was a news report the other day about how one woman was told that she could become a teacher with an AA degree. So she paid her money and got her AA only to find out that it wasn't true.
    She should've put in some more research ....

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 18, 2010

We are in So Cal. She was going to go to our Cal State, where she went for her BA, but a friend of hers suggested that they both go to UofP together. Neither of us knew much about it, so I figured I could get a quick idea here if it was worth really looking into.

9. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

I have a bachelors in Psychology and went back to school to get my teacher certification. I went to the University of Phoenix online. It was easy as long as you're dedicated to it and do the work. A lot of papers and writing. University of Phoenix requires you to do student teaching and all the observation hours your state requires. They certified you in Arizona. I COULD have gotten my certification in AZ but didnt go though the whole AZ process because I just wanted IL certification. So I found out all the IL certification requirements and did those, filled out all the forms that IL required. I applied to IL as an out of state license/programs.

Id say just make sure your state accepts University of Phoenix program. University of Phoenix NORMALLY doesnt allow you to join the program if they do not have an agreement with your state.

It is expensive, but it worked for me because I was about 2 hours from a college at the time.

I got certified to teach Special Education in IL as well as my Masters. Its a legitimate college....

10. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

I would not do it for a credential. I have heard things similar to what others have said about the for-profit schools. I know you can get an AA or an AS in educatation but that is specificaly designed for people wanting to be parapros.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 18, 2010

Make sure that your state accepts UoP as a credentialed school. It should be, but just be safe because some states have different standards (for example, Ohio accepts degrees from UoP but only accepts Walden for CE credits).

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 18, 2010

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think she is leaning toward going back to the Cal State school. She graduated with me back in 2001, but took time to be a stay at home mom with her four kids. She is a substitute teacher now, and is ready to go back for her credential.

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 18, 2010

I've gone both routes with online and "brick and mortar" classes. I have to say, I had a more well-rounded experience in an actual classroom. The discussions are just not the same online and I enjoyed myself much more. But everyone is different, I guess.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2010

Would she be going full time or part time?

My sense is that the full-time programs at most CSUs involve a lot of student teaching pretty much from the outset (which is why most CSUs require CSET and CBEST to be passed before one darkens their doors). In her case, that could be valuable time for broadening her skill base and for networking.

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 18, 2010

I heard that Walden University is a better education program to choose than UofP. I'm currently doing an online Masters degree in Education at the University of Scranton and I'm really enjoying it :)

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 18, 2010

I received my Bachelor's Degree and Multiple Subjects Credential from Cal State. I am also working on my Master's at Cal State.

Not really a fan of online schools...

17. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 19, 2010

I don't remember specifics but I've heard nothing but BAD things about Univ. of Phoenix....

18. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 19, 2010

Go to the Cal State. UoP is expensive. I am working with a teacher that got her credential from UoP and is paying off a load of student loans.

19. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Sep 19, 2010

University of Phoenix? How's their football team? (LOL!)