University of Phoenix/Military Spouse/Masters

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CrayonsCoffee, Feb 13, 2015.

1. CrayonsCoffee

CrayonsCoffee Rookie

Feb 13, 2015

Hello everyone. This is my first post, although I have been stalking the forum for a few months. I am in a situation in which I desperatly need advice.

I want to be a teacher. You can even tell by my community college transcript, it states Elementay Education as my major. Life has thrown many curveballs and I have not been able to make this dream a reality. As stated on the topic line, I am a military spouse and I am also prior military. I do not stay in one location for more the a few years.

I am looking into an alternative certification program in my area when low and behold my spouse informs me that we may be moving again. We have lived here less than a year!! :-( I want to go to a state university however with the possible move it sounds like that would be a waste of money and time. On many states pathways to teaching websites it states that University of Phoenix is an acceptable university. However, I am reluctant. The university will work with me if I move during the degree program although I may be required to take extra tests depending on the state. In this district, I have been informed that they do not look down upon UoP.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does your district look down upon a UOP degree? Based on my situation can anyone offer any advice on any alternatives that I can pursue? Thank you in advance.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2015

It's not especially highly regarded by all districts..my state is competitive with many many candidates applying for every opening. A Phoenix degree wouldn't be competitive in my area. :sorry:

4. CrayonsCoffee

CrayonsCoffee Rookie

Feb 13, 2015

Thank you. I appreciate the honesty. I just don't know how to make this dream a reality without it being crushed by moving a year into a state program. :-( Thanks again!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2015

I was a military spouse when I started my MSEd...how long can your spouse extend an assignment? Is there any option for you to stay after he gets reassigned? Think long term...is he stayin in the military long tem? Will you be able to stay, work, get tenure in a district once certified?

6. CrayonsCoffee

CrayonsCoffee Rookie

Feb 13, 2015

Unfortunately he can't extend on the assignment. We thought we would be here for at least a few years...so many uncertainties with the military. We have discussed me staying here if I get a job through the alternative program and I would but not for more than a year since we have children. He is staying in long term and has 10+ years left. I would not be able to stay anywhere long enough to get tenure until he retires. I am ok with that and I know that by moving I will probably have other requirements before I am able to teach in that state.

Thank you for the questions because they are very important to the decision making process. I am in my thirties now and I am hoping to start a new career before he retires. I just hope I can find an option that will allow this to happen. I don't want to go back to school in my mid-40s and not be able to teach until I am almost 50. :-(

7. Mrs.Christie

Mrs.Christie Rookie

Feb 13, 2015

Have you looked into WGU? They have a better reputation than UoP and they are NCATE accredited. I'm applying there. For what I can tell, a degree from WGU won't hold me back from teaching jobs, at least here in Utah anyway.

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Feb 14, 2015

I second the WGU recommendation. Much less expensive than UoPhoenix, and you can move through at an accelerated pace.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 14, 2015

I agree with the others - UofP is not regarded highly at all. In fact, it can sometimes be a stumbling block. Because of its poor reputation, hiring committees sometimes have a negative impression of applicants that buy credits from them. As in - who is foolish enough to buy a degree from UofP?

That being said, if you can find a reputable university that will accept UofP credits, it might be worth it. People don't care where you start your college degree, it is only from where you graduate that matters. If you can get 2-3 years in with UofP and then get a final year at a real school, no one would be the wiser.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 14, 2015

Teaching in Phoenix, and knowing people who have gone and graduated from U of P, it doesn't have a good reputation. Some say, the University has gotten better the last few years. That could be true. Also, U of P, is an expensive University. I'd try to see if you have a better option.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 14, 2015

Some AR programs would allow you to earn a standard certificate within about a one to one and a half year time frame. I guess my first question would be where you stand with earning your undergraduate degree? If you are still working on that, I would be looking for an online program from a regular university. They often accept transfer credits, which doesn't limit you to doing all of your work at one university. Take your undergraduate credits wherever you get the in-state discount (or military discount) and then transfer when at the tail end of the program. AR usually is completely separate from your college work, other than needing the BS/BA. There is always time to earn a masters further down the road. Just a thought.

12. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Feb 15, 2015

I wouldn't recommend the University of Phoenix. I did 80% of my associate's degree at UoP and it was not worth the cost. Honestly, there were no knowledge checks. If you can write an essay every week, answer discussion questions and regurgitate your classmates' posts twice, you're good to go.

I completed my BS in Education online because of my kids. I went through Fort Hays State University (fhsu.edu), which is in Kansas. I think their online education program is great, the cost is low, and they have students from all over the world. During your internships and student teaching, they work with you to place you in the districts/schools of your choice.

13. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Feb 15, 2015

I also went to Fort Hays State University. My program was a MS in SpEd. It is a wonderful school that I would highly recommend. However, if you attend FHSU and need a student teaching placement, you may need to make your own arrangements if you do not live in KS (this is what I had to do).

14. CrayonsCoffee

CrayonsCoffee Rookie

Feb 16, 2015

My apologies for the delayed response. Thank you for all the opinions and assistance offered on the post.

I have already completed a BS. I am sorry, I should have stated this earlier. I would prefer, if possible, to complete a masters program instead of another bachelors.

Thank you! I will definitely check into this school. I have never heard of them but from both of your post the university seems to be a viable option.

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2015

I did my teaching degree work while bubble was active duty. I attended traditional schools and transferred when he moved. In the end I did not get cross l certified in with my first degree, because of the moves. However, I did learn about about online schools.....I did a lot of online work with my first degree and university of Phoenix always had a bit of a reputation of charging the military more, saying they wetter flexible and then not being so, and treating spouses poorly. I would avoid them. I did best with university of Maryland European division (their online courses were excellent, and treatment of spouses fantastic) and central Michigan university (I'm not sure central still has its online program for military spouses, but the treated me well)