University of Phoenix Masters in Education-New York

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by tk999463, Oct 15, 2012.

1. tk999463

tk999463 Rookie

Oct 15, 2012

My significant other is receiving his Masters in Education from the University of Phoenix. I was always a little skeptical of it, but he reassured me that since he wasn't doing the online classes and was going to be attending the college, it would be an acceptable school. We moved from NY, where I received my Masters in SPED, so he could come to Phoenix for his Masters. Now we are considering moving back to NY when his Masters is completed this year and he would try his luck there. However, after reading NY's certification for out of state teachers, I come to realize University of Phoenix's Education program is only per-accredited and is up for review December 20, 2012. I don't really know what any of this means, can the school not be accredited after this time and his Masters be a waste?

Has anyone had a similar experience or does anyone know about this per-accredition and what it could mean for him? Anything would be a GREAT help!

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 15, 2012

UPhoenix is generally a bad idea...

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 16, 2012

Before panicking, I'd double check all concerns with the Department of Education. My state accepts degrees and credits from UoP, but not Walden, so that check was an important one.

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 16, 2012

As of three years ago, our school district stopped recognizing any credits or degrees from places like the University of Phoenix or DeVry University. In fact, they put together a list when we negotiated our last contract.

:mellow:

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2012

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2012

I think part of the issue is that there are SO MANY people in NY looking for teaching jobs. The vast majority of these people have attended brick and mortar schools with strong reputations.

So even if technically, UoP is acceptable, the competition is going to have the advantage of a degree from a more highly respected school and a better known education program.

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 17, 2012

I think Of UoP as a scam school. However, there are many brick and mortar schools that offer online degrees through distance learning. The advice I received about online degrees is it depends on the person doing the interview as to whether it was acceptable/ desirable. Some will value an online degree as cutting edge while others will only value brick and mortar degrees. As online becomes more common the balance will shift more towards parity.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 17, 2012

I live near the University of Phoenix. First, I am not impressed with the University at all. I would not be surprised if they are losing their accreditation. I don't know what exactly will happen in your situation. I hope you can find out.

10. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 17, 2012

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 18, 2012

Institutions like that are not very highly thought of in my area.

12. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

Wow... This thread is filled with UOP bashing! I've talked to a few people who have graduated with BA's from there & all of them said the quality of education was excellent. As far as a graduate degree, I'm not sure about that... Sounds like it's suspect. if their reputation is not good for graduate degrees than you could be SOL.

13. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

I got my MA in Education from National Univ & felt like they were pretty good. Best of luck in the pursuit...it's good that you are asking people about this on this forum because we have a lot of bright minds here... :)