Unit Project - ELA

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by teresateaches, Sep 16, 2014.

1. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 16, 2014

Hi All -

I would love some brainstorming/feedback.

I teach Advanced English 7.

I'm moving to themed units this year. I've always wanted to go to these big idea units where all of my vocab and grammar are taught in context, but it has taken me a while to get there.

So, I've planned this unit around the guiding question of "Is the use of force and/or violence by a person, group or government ever acceptable? And if so, when? If no, why?"

I have all my learning objectives planned out.

We are reading "The Use of Force" by Williams Carlos Williams and then making the connection to the forced quarantines in West Africa due to Ebola. We will analyze the characters in the short story, focus on main idea and text structure in the Ebola articles, and the compare the two while answering the guiding question. I have all my mini-lessons planned out, but I'm not sure how to tie it all back in to some kind of cumulative project or final assignment.

I've always struggled to end my units. I feel like they always fall flat, no matter what they are.

Any feedback or help is appreciated.

:thanks:

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 16, 2014

Project Based Learning and Backward Planning both say start with what you want the students to have done at the end. Having said that, I'm right there with you.
    It sounds though like you know what you want them to do - compare and contrast articles and WCW piece.

Can THEY decide HOW they do that - film, slide show, play, paper, whatever they think up? As long as you have a rubric for what information they need to include, this might work well - Then again, some teachers hate to be this free about it. If it sounds ok for you though, this lends itself to a a great final presentation or fair type ending.
    hmm...sorry, might not have been very helpful.

4. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 28, 2014

I'm curious how it's going.