Unit and lesson plan help

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Lydia, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Lydia

Lydia Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

Yesterday, I had my very first class toward my teaching certification (I finished college 11 years ago and am career changing). The first class was about methods and teaching social studies. It's one of 3 classes I'll have this semester. The instructor was talking a lot about units and lesson plans. For the class, we'll have to create a unit plan and several lesson plans, as well as do a presentation on one of the lessons. We don't have a book for the class, just handouts.

The class is small (less than 20 people) and I'm one of only about 3 people in the class with no teaching experience (well, at a college level but that is very, very different). Absolutely everything is new to me. It's a little overwhelming. Does anyone know of a website where I could actually see unit and lesson plans so that I can try to figure things out and at least feel like I'm not totally lost? I know we have to incorpoate Bloom's taxonomy and NCSS standards into our unit and lessons (both things I had never really heard of until yesterday).

Any sites, advice, would be greatly appreciated! :)

--Lydia

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2006

The lesson plan format my credential program requires parallels the direct instruction approach recommended by Madeline Hunter. It is pretty common to do this.

4. Lydia

Lydia Rookie

Sep 11, 2006

I think that's going to be a help. I'm going to print it out and read it closely. Thanks.

5. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 11, 2006

This is the format I used as well. It is really helpful in preparing you to teach! Also, if you are looking for samples of lesson plans I have found many on scholastic.com.
    Good luck! :)