Unique Resumes

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chasisaac, Feb 28, 2014.

1. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Feb 28, 2014

I am thinking of taking my regular looking resume and turning it into something very different and with color.

I have been teaching my 12th graders to use normal looking resumes with the purpose for resume readers.

However, locally I am not sure anyone uses them. They are online or sent to the P. directly. And the vast majority of local districts do not have a dedicated human resources person.

I see that this going to go only one of two ways with no middle ground.

Can I have opinions.

The examples are here: http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/inspiration/creative-resume-designs/ number 22 is the one I like

The one I like is: http://achisutoshinzo.deviantart.com/art/Resume-W-I-P-85047938 currently number 22 on the list above. It is the train map like one.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 28, 2014

They are interesting looking, to be sure, but are they quickly readable? If it takes HR people too long to read, they're not going to bother. Also, many resumes need to be easily converted to .txt format to be uploaded.

When I wanted my resume to stand out, I kept the text standard but used different colored ink and paper.

4. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Feb 28, 2014

I have a txt format resume and use that one as needed.

However, most of the ones around here you upload a .pdf for send a paper resume.

5. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Feb 28, 2014

I don't like them. I think a simple resume is the way to go. It looks professional and is definitely the "safe" choice. A professional way to use color would be through creating a brochure. :)

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2014

Some of those resumes are definitely creative and interesting, but I almost wonder if they are more geared towards people seeking a career in areas such as marketing, design, fashion, etc.

If I were you, I would head over to HR and just ask them what can you do to your resume to make you stand out and see if they can give you some good advice. :)

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 28, 2014

I like different formats, but in my opinion, this one is too different. Looking at it quickly, I'm not sure where to start reading or where to find information I might be looking for. Just my thoughts, of course! At a minimum, I would try to have some bold headlines to show where to find key details like contact info or job history.

8. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Mar 1, 2014

I wanted a resume that would stand out from the huge piles that end up at some district offices. I found this site: http://loftresumes.com/collections/resumes-without-photos and fell in love with the New Yorker design since it could highlight my technology and curriculum skills. I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money on a resume and have to pay every time I needed to update it. I did the next best thing. I used Microsoft Publisher and took the best parts of different designs and made my own! It didn't take me very long, and I can easily edit it this year or tailor it for specific positions. I save it as a PDF to submit for jobs and got a ton of compliments last year. Plus, I think it helps that I made it myself.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2014

I'll be honest- those look terrible. The one you picked out, the train map, was absolutely unreadable. If a student turned something even resembling that into me I would give it a 0 without even reading it. I don't even like when my kids give me papers written on anything except white paper. Some use brown, recycled paper, even that bothers me. I think using some classy blue (bullets, lines, headers, etc) is okay, but I wouldn't even use a color that was not dark blue. I like some of the examples TXowl posted.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2014

Yeah, the train map is awful.

I had an attractive, creative resume that wasn't so "unique" that it threw the hiring team off but enough to set me apart, demonstrate my creativity, and highlight my strengths.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2014

I think it's best to stick with a mostly traditional resume. Make the content interesting, not the format. I can't follow many of those "unique" resumes. I wouldn't give them a second look if I were the one hiring.

12. ayla

ayla Companion

Mar 8, 2014

My most recent resume has blue headers and I think that was enough to make it stand out!

13. Ellybean

Ellybean Rookie

Mar 8, 2014

Um, no. These are AWFUL. This is the kind of stuff that gets you mocked at by HR!!!!! Run far far away from this website....

14. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Mar 11, 2014

Yeah, these aren't for teachers. They look like they're for artists/photographers/graphic designers. What you're showing off in those resumes as far as style is not something that they are looking for in teachers...

(Slanty writing is hard to read!!!!)

15. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Mar 13, 2014

I dumped the idea I had. I did go another route and will post it here when done.