Union woes

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by kidatheart, Sep 13, 2007.

1. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 13, 2007

Hi, I am a new teacher and I have managed to get myself into a school that is embroiled in an nasty negotiation.

Anyone else ever been in this situation? How did you handle it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2007

You are non-tenured and probably will not be asked to participate fully in job actions...go to your building rep if you have any questions about this... In Bergen County NJ alone there are 16 districts working without new contracts (I'm in one of them)...It can get a bit messy. Just do your job, don't get bogged down in the day to day gossip about the negotiations. It will eventually be settled.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2007

I just got hired by a school district and they are thinking of striking. It may happen after Christmas :(.

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 15, 2007

I feel for you Proud!!
    Thanks Czacza - I'm locking myself in my room and not speaking to anyone. I heard that the last negotiation took 2 years!!!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2007

Be thankful you have a union. We do not. It typically wouldn't be an issue to me except for that if a lawsuit or something were to be brought against me, I'd have no protection. I am terrified everyday that one of the kids will fall off the playground equipment or something!

7. Thespis

Thespis Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

Giraffe:
    Join a professional organization immediately!
    You do not want to be in the classroom without legal representation and liability insurance.
    Here's an organization in NC; there are probably others.
    DO IT NOW!
    http://www.pencweb.org/index2.cfm

8. SpecialTeacher

SpecialTeacher Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

I'm a new teacher as well and my union is having some negotiation issues. The union recently did a "no confidence" vote to the district (basically the first step in the strike process). My aunt (a retired teacher) told me the best thing to do for a new, non-tenured teacher is to keep your head down and do your job as best as you can. Just keep teaching, it's what you're there for! The union will do what it's supposed to do. Don't stir up too much trouble until you're protected by tenure.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2007

Our Union is fighting Merit Pay right now. I am in my tenure year so I unfortunately have to leave the big stuff up to the tenured people. I support them though... Merit pay -- Ughh

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 25, 2007

That's one of the things we are fighting. Merit pay - what a joke. I could work for a year and still not reach some of the kids in our special ed group. It's not like a company raising their bottom line... its unpredictable children who sometimes struggle just to get thru the day!!!