Union Negotiations-Ohio

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jul 16, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

I found this article very interesting. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/07/16/crowd-turns-out-for-reynoldsburg-teachers-over-contract.html

Big notes-they want to give teachers money and have them find their own insurance. They also want to do merit pay using our new evaluations. The district is close to me, so I'll be following pretty closely.

We negotiated this year as well and have tentatively agreed on everything. We just need the union to go ahead and ratify it now. I'm very pleased with our new contract.

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 16, 2014

What I'm really worried about with merit pay is, like that sweet girl Abi said, the pressure. Teachers will stop collaborating with each other in an attempt to keep the best ideas for themselves. Students will feel the stress as teachers constantly push them to extremes in an attempt to get their raise. Kids who aren't making progress will be targets for expulsion, because teachers don't want them on their roster. When your livelihood depends on something so subjective, people will go to crazy lengths to increase their odds of scoring more money.

It will take everything enjoyable out of education. It will be a cutthroat atmosphere for teachers, and students will feel like little money making machines. Nothing good will come of it.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2014

Most of what has been proposed is already on the books in this state (with the exception of the health insurance issue).

In the schools I have worked in since the law took effect, I have not noticed any change in the way the teachers collaborate, plan, or teach.

I would like to think that we are showing that we are all professionals, no matter what bureaucrats try to impose on the profession.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

Ratify now! We always schedule our ratification meeting within two weeks of having a tentative agreement. And remember, YOU are the union, too, not just the officers. (Hope that doesn't sound rude as it is certainly not meant that way :)).

Perhaps come November, some of this stress will go away in Ohio!

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2014

IA with a lot of what you said except for this.

Expulsion? Where do they expel kids for doing poorly?

Here, even when a child commits an offense they SHOULD be expelled for according to our district's Code Of Conduct; at worst, the kid will forced to transfer schools within the district. And, the only time this happens is when the kid attacks an adult and loses their court case. Very rare.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

I was on the negotiating team so I guess I just meant the rest of the union :lol: I know we all agree with it now! I'm not sure what they're waiting for? I know some districts wait until the first day of school.

8. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 16, 2014

Not for doing poorly. I can imagine some teachers may excessively write up students for behavioral issues in hopes that they are removed from the classroom. The teacher could write him up repeatedly for "insubordination" for not doing his work. Like your school, no one is expelled at my school. We had a kid fake a bomb threat and he was just suspended for a few days. But in schools where expulsions are more common, and with teachers who are more focused on the merit pay rather than student success, I could see this happening.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. They should just be upfront and honest and admit that they hate teachers and children.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

That is a bit weird. Our contracts start and end on June 1st, and usually last three years.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

Ours start and end on July 1. However, we have language that says if we haven't agreed by July 1, we keep working under the old contract. Our pay raises don't go into effect until mid-August so from that standpoint we're safe.