Uninsurableat 19!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by treysmom, Nov 9, 2009.

1. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Nov 9, 2009

My child did not return to college this fall, so I can't keep him on my school insurance :( I thought-no problem-I'll get a private policy. Now I know why health care is in the shape it is in. I never knew it would be this hard to get health insurance. The deciding factors were he was diagnosed in school as ADD (which he hasn't taken med for over a year now), football injury his sr. year (outpatient knee surgery)-was released to play basketball later in the year and has had no problems since, and had staff infection while he was living in the dorm at college. I also had him put on anti depressants after his dad passed away, but I don't think he is taking them-he HATES to take medicine! How ironic! He has been turned down by two different insurance agencies and we are waiting to hear from a third. As it is, I am paying a COBRA insurance account an obscene monthly rates!

3. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 9, 2009

I hope this third insurance agency doesn't deny him!! I don't know if all states are doing this, but, some states now say that a kid can be on their parents health insurance up to the age of 29. I know New York and Florida are two of the states. I am not too sure of requirements, I believe, it might just be that the person can't have a health insurance plan of his/her own. It may be something to look into?

Not having health insurance is not fun!
    I got kicked off my parent's health insurance, after graduating from college. I was uninsured for 2 1/2 months and couldn't get anything! I finally found a "oh my goodness I have work again" job that July, and was happy because one of the perks was health insurance. The law firm decided that they were going to charge employees more for everything. First I lost my long term disability, life insurance and dental insurance (the firm was originally paying for it- they now were charging $30 per check for it -$60 a month). About 2 months later they jacked up the employee contribution for health insurance. Now, if I couldn't afford the $60 a month for the other stuff, what would make them think I could afford an extra $90 for health insurance !!!!!!!!! So in the span of about 2 1/2 months- I lost my long term, life insurance, dental insurance and health insurance. I can't find any insurance in a range that I can afford to pay by myself. So since in the last 3 months I have had swine flu, a nasty virus and I am getting sick again -- dayquil/nyquil cold and flu has become a frequent thing at my place.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 9, 2009

Is he going to get a job instead of going to school? If he is, he should definitely get a job that is enough hours to get health insurance.

Sounds like he has been through a lot . . . hope all goes well for him. With everything you mentioned, I can see that it might not be a good time for college, yet he does need insurance. There are a lot of jobs that would offer insurance. I actually started looking for a job because we needed the insurance. Fell into this teaching job because it was open, they offered it to me, and it had good insurance! God bless you both!

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 9, 2009

It's tough!

My sister had ovarian cancer when she was 21, not a problem since then but would never get insurance without being part of a group. She's 53 now.

Good luck!

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2009

Our district drops kids from the policy when they turn 19, whether they're full-time students or not. We were able to buy a policy for our daughter through the university. Now she works at Starbucks about 20 hours a week, and she has health insurance through them - a great perk! (No coffee pun intended :))

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 9, 2009

This is a serious concern. Chrohns runs in my family. My dad was diagnosed when he was 28-I'm 27. I've thought about being tested, but I can't have that ANYWHERE on my record. So now it's just a waiting game... so sad.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 9, 2009

I can feel for you. I have a disability that makes me virtually uninsurable unless I am working -- then they have to offer me the company plan. I'm always terrified of losing my job because after COBRA runs out, there is nothing for me.

I had major surgery during one time when I wasn't able to work. I ended up owing over $47,000!!!!!!!! I had to mortgage my house. I can feel for you.

The people who are so admamently against national health care have probably not ever been in the situation of not having health care, and the doctors they desperately need refusing to take medicare patients. I have. It is horrible. I paid all $47,000 off myself. The medicaid doctor said it was impossible for me to ever walk again. The $47,000 bought me a doctor who fixed my leg up and got me back on my feet. I've been working for the past 8 years now. Or I could have stayed on disability for the rest of my life.. which would have been my only choice if I hadn't had a house to mortgage.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2009

This is so true. I was afraid to actually use my private health insurance because I was afraid that if I was diagnosed with something that they'd drop me or not cover me after finding some mistake on my application. Then there is that fear of having a medical condition on my record that will prevent me from getting insured by another company.

I truly think those who are against healthcare reform have never had to purchase their own insurance.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2009

I don't think anyone is against health care reform, per se.

Without getting into specifics, I think people disagree on exactly which reforms are necessary.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 9, 2009

I've had to pay my own insurance in the past, for many years, about $800 a month to cover my family. Yes, it was a gouge, but I was just thankful to have it.

Our healthcare system is a shambles. I don't know what the answer is - don't think we have come up with an answer yet. Don't mean to sidetrack the post. Just wanted to pitch in that I have been in the place where I had to pay everything myself, plus had to pay for all the dr. visits and prescriptions. We were paying about 25% of our income on health coverage. But I don't like what has been proposed.

I am going to start a new thread. Wonder if it is too political? Seems like a bunch of teachers should be able to come up with some ideas???

12. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Nov 10, 2009

I was able to keep him on my school insurance as long as he was in school taking (and passing) 12 hours. He has chosen to become involved with a group that goes on mission trips. They will begin these after the first of the year, which means he could be going anywhere there is a need. The good news is that he is happy for the first time since his dad passed away. The bad news is that I am having to pay the COBRA insurance. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for it, but I don't know how much longer I can afford it! As you all know, there is no extra $ at the end of the month when you are a teacher and his payment is $377 a month. Thank all of you for your comments. Let's just pray that a good, fair solution is found for this.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 10, 2009

Check with the church sponsoring the mission trips - they might have insurance available if he is considered an employee of the church!