Uniforms?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 6, 2012

Does your school have them? Are you like me and wish your school had them? I think uniforms are great because:

• They 'level the playing field;' no more distracting outfits or shirts with cartoons about why they didn't do their homework
    • Everyone would look neater and cleaner
    • Gives a sense of unity
    • Easy to get ready in the mornings

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 6, 2012

I don't care for uniforms. There is no leveling of the playing field regarding $$ with them, and a simple dress code could prevent inappropriate tee shirts.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2012

We don't have uniforms, but I have taught in a school with them before. The students still found ways to show off with jewelry, shoes, backpacks, and things that they attached to their backpacks.

Also, some students (not even most) found it necessary to say the silly comments that were from the t-shirts that they couldn't wear.

5. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 6, 2012

Nah. People aren't uniform, thankfully, so why should their clothing be? No Pyongyang chic for me.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 6, 2012

I have uniforms. I love that I don't work at a school with uniforms. Most of our students dress appropriately and neatly. Those who don't are usually in violation of dress code anyway and spend the day out of class in detention.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2012

My school doesn't have uniforms, although I think we should.

8. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Feb 6, 2012

My old school had uniforms and it made me fall in love with them! Even though it was a private school with elite parents, we used to have a ton of used uniform sales, and even the new uniforms were really cheap to purchase.

If the school didn't have uniforms, there would be a huge battle of how much $$ was spent on their clothes, no matter how school appropriate their attire was.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2012

I like wearing my shorts and gator shirts each day.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2012

Our students do wear uniforms. I know my DD wishes she didn't have to, but as mother it makes my life easier.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2012

Our district has uniforms. I love them! It's just a basic outfit of polo shirts in school colors and khakis or jeans and sneakers. Our parents are all in favor because it is so easy to dress their children. We don't have the distractions of inappropriate clothing. Many of our teachers choose to wear the outfits, as well. It certainly has made my wardrobe cheaper!

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 6, 2012

It was much easier (and cheaper) for me to dress my oldest daughter than it was my youngest, who was stuck with uniforms.

13. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2012

No, and I'm glad we don't. I think kids should be able to show their individuality. We don't have a problem with inappropriate dress for students in our school.
    Some things/colors are unflattering on people. I don't like how the colors white or yellow look on me, and I would be really annoyed if I needed to wear those when I was in school. I also hate khakis. And what if the uniform requires you tuck in your shirt? An overweight child would feel really bad about that.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 6, 2012

We have uniforms and I like them. The kids look really neat and are used to dressing more business professional. I had uniforms in school and LOVED them! I never had to worry about what I was going to wear (which I always stressed over before we went to uniforms). Our polo shirts came in pretty much every color you could imagine and were comfy. We could wear any pants as long as they were at minimum khakis so I had khakis, brown pants, navy blue, a greenish color, etc...

As for the overweight comment, our kids are required to tuck in their shirts and the kids that complain are NOT the kids who are overweight. There are a number of kids that I remind to tuck in their shirts every morning and about 90% of those kids are bean poles.

15. Joy

Joy Cohort

Feb 6, 2012

The school where I student taught had uniforms of sort. All the students had to wear school polo shirts and kaki pants or skirts. On Fridays, they could wear the school shirts with jeans.

16. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2012

But what about the fit, etc.? I don't know why, but unless the students are abusing the dress code, I don't see much of a reason to have one. It just doesn't seem fair to the students.
    Also also, just because overweight students don't complain about tucking their shirt in, it doesn't mean they don't care. It's a pretty sensitive issue.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 6, 2012

Trust me, I know my kids and their self esteem isn't hurt just as mine wasn't hurt when I was the overweight kid in uniforms. Honestly, the uniforms made it a relief since girls were expected to wear form fitting shirts (per social pressures) and when we went to polos they were much looser fitting and much more comfortable to me (who was and still is overweight).

I just like the way all of our kids look in their uniforms, just as I thought we presented a neat image when I was in school. I like the look. We have dress down days and I see the kids at other events in street clothes and each time I do, it makes me more and more grateful we do have the uniforms. Even when girls are wearing appropriate clothing that would be okay in most schools it is still more revealing than our uniforms. And even in uniforms we are forever reminding the boys to pull up their pants. It's even worse out of uniform. Each semester in speech one of our debates is about uniforms. The first semester this year about 15/25 said they liked the uniforms and another 5 said they didn't care. I haven't done it this semester yet but am curious to see with a new group how they feel.

18. kme93

kme93 Companion

Feb 6, 2012

My school has uniforms and I love it. The kids (usually) look polished and presentable. Girls can wear pleated skirts or pants, boys can wear pants or shorts, everyone wears colored polos or a white oxford shirt. Bottoms are navy or khaki and polos can be navy, royal blue, baby blue, white, pink, white, hunter green, red, or baby yellow. Everything must be Land's End - period.

The kids don't even notice or care, it's just what they're used to. The only complaints about the dress code is about tucking shirts in, and it has nothing to do with weight. The girls want their shirts out so you can't see that their skirts are rolled up, the boys want their shirts out so that you can't see they forgot their belt.

19. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Feb 6, 2012

I am also in love with our uniforms where I teach. They really put the students in 'school' mode and get them ready for the day. We have a great uniform exchange where people bring their outgrown uni's and get new sizes as they need them. The jumpers especially wear like iron and go forever, it seems! Students can wear any brand of navy pants they like, and can choose between hunter green or white polos. Girls have the added option of our plaid skirts or jumpers, or a plain navy jumper. Our kids that carry extra weight generally find cuts of pants or larger polos that work well for them - it really hasn't been an issue. I know that for my daughter especially, she is relieved to have fewer choices in the morning, and is able to get ready more quickly than on the weekends.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2012

Uniforms here. I'd be happiest with a school t-shirt and jeans policy, but I'm okay with the tucked polo and khaki dress code we have. I would NEVER tuck in my shirt, so I do hate that students are required to do so.

That said, it does NOT level the playing field. At all.

21. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2012

I do think the overweight thing is an issue. Of course the kids aren't going to complain about it, because that draws even more attention to the fact that they're overweight. They'd be mortified to openly say in front of all of their classmates, "I don't want to tuck this shirt in because it makes me look fatter." I'm not even really overweight (I'm at the very top of my "healthy" bmi range) but I do have a bit of a tummy and I'd feel very uncomfortable and self-conscious in a tucked in shirt that showed that off. I also agree with Justme that it doesn't level the playing field. Kids find other ways to show off. I remember having a debate about this in an 8th grade SS class where one of the leaders in the "popular" group said openly in the debate that she would still find some way to make fun of appearance, even if it was that someone didn't have the right hair style or looked bad in the uniform. Our city had tons of catholic schools (it was pretty much half and half between who went to catholic and who went to public in my neighborhood) so I worked with tons of catholic school kids at my local job. I didn't find at all that they went to school "polished"- they felt that since they had to wear the uniform anyway and had no control over anything it was an excuse to go to school looking like crap. Many of the girls from the all-girls school wouldn't even brush their hair or wash their face before school, although I suppose it might be different at a co-ed school.

22. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Feb 7, 2012

I hate them

I hate them. I worked in a Catholic school that had uniforms, and the girls rolled their skirts up so high that you could see their panties. The boys would stand at the base of teh stairs and watch them go upstairs. We'd constantly remind them to roll them down, and they did, but as soon as you walked away, they'd be back up. I spent so much time patroling skirts and tucked in shirts, it took away from instruction. And, I know personally, I look terrible in shorter skirts (I have fat knees) and khakis. I would have been miserable every day having to wear a uniform. Even now, I hate polos, they don't fit me right, not matter how big. If they're big enough for my chest, they make my hips and waist disappear, and if they fit that part, they make me look like a chest-burster. We have school ones that I never wear because of this.

23. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2012

This.
    Also, not one item of clothing fits everyone well. I, personally, feel more confident in clothes that fit me well. I hate polos because they look horrible on me. I would hate to tuck in my shirt.
    Honestly, in a public school, I don't see why uniforms are necessary. If students are abusing the dress code, the teachers should write them up and they should be sent to to office to wear a long school t-shirt. They would be embarrassed and wouldn't repeat the offense.

24. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 7, 2012

Our uniforms are simple, and for that overweight kid, they can and do wear a school sweatshirt or sweater over their polo shirt.
    The older students actually prefer the uniform. It's not bad, a choice of white, blue, or yellow shirt of any shade, with the same choice of colors in sweaters and socks(yup, socks are dictated too). They have sweatshirts, sweaters, and fleece jackets to choose from, and plain blue pants, skirt, or dress. When it's warm, they can wear shorts, skorts, or capris. They have a gym uniform as well, and many of the kids would wear nothing but that all year if they could. It's very comfortable.

25. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2012

I think this is alright because at least there are options, but I honestly don't see the reason why it would be necessary if a dress code was enforced.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 8, 2012

I worked in a heavily gang infested neighborhood. People have been shot for wearing the "wrong" color. Uniforms relieve students of the stress of accidentally wearing something that a gang considers to be a symbol of a rival gang, and getting shot for their mistake.

27. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2012

Wow, that's just shocking and upsetting. I totally understand uniforms if that is the reason.
    It's not a problem at my school or in any schools in surrounding areas. If it were a problem in my school, I would advocate for uniforms for the safety of all students.

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 8, 2012

orangetea, That's the unfortunate reality in many of this country's worst urban neighborhoods. The students walk a mine field of poverty, hunger and violence every day. I adored every one of my students. The hardest part about leaving my old state was leaving my students behind.

29. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2012

This is wonderful. I did one of my student teaching practicums at a school like this in Boston. Before that, I dreamed of working in an urban school like the one you speak of, but after it, I realized that I just couldn't do it. But I'm so glad that your students have such a wonderful teacher.

30. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 8, 2012

I was just about to bring this up. We don't have a huge gang problem where I student taught and used to live but enough that the uniforms definitely helped with related issues!

31. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 8, 2012

This is why we have them as well.