Uniforms or Dress Code

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth561, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

In our county, most elementary and a lot of middle schools have mandated uniforms for the students-if you are not wearing the shirt with the emblem or the correct length/color of shorts, you will be sent home. The uniform even extends to sweaters. Many parents are upset with this ruling-saying it's unconstitutional-what do you think?

3. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

In Australia I would say all primary and nearly all high schools have compulsory uniforms. I'm in favour of uniforms as I went to a very progressive comprehensive school in the UK. At primary school there was no uniform and then you got to high school and the uniform was phased out for the individual to express themselves in their dress - it was a free for all. This was in the days of punk, the new romantics and goths. It used to be, 'have you seen so and so today wearing .....". Long leather coats were the fashion and my parents could not afford to buy them for me and my sisters so we never had. My best friend had the expensive leather granny shoes, but I had pvc granny shoes from the cheap shoe shop. If there had been a uniform, I would not have felt the poor relation.

However, when you are locked in to buying from the school shop (as is the case of high school here) then they do tend to charge whatever they like (in my opinion). My daughter's school dress was $90 (US$82) per dress!! I groaned about that but they will pass down. However, if I thought that was bad, the school swimming costume that she had to have cost $85 (US78!!!!). Whatever after school sport you do, you have to buy the uniform from the school shop. My son has lost 3 hats $80 (US$73) each. (there is a school marshall who patrols from the school to the station and issues infringements for not wearing the school hat). Within his first year of high school, he had lost 2 hats and had his blazer (US$183) stolen. (He left it somewhere and it was taken). I have to add, that he went broke in his first year because I made him pay for replacements. He is now very responsible with his belongings - he knows it will cost HIM to replace them!

4. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I should add, that in the long run, school uniforms work out to be a cheap option. The clothes don't go out of fashion, can be handed down and at my chidlren's primary school, there is one set of uniform clothes that are unisex so they can hand down to either a brother or sister.

The uniform shop also sells second hand uniforms, and when my children graduate from the primary school next year, I will either give away their uniforms or donate them to the second hand section in the shop.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

I work at a charter school & we have a uniform that the kids wear. When the parents register their children it is stated in the information that they fill out that this is a uniform school. There is also a shirt order form in the registration packet.

We don't send kids home if they don't have on a uniform! Depending on the outfit, I may send them to the office, where, depending on the mood of the secretary she will call home & have Mom bring clothes. Or sometimes they'll have the kids put on clothes from lost & found or clothes that parents have donated.

I usually don't send the kids to the office if they have on the school shirt with a pair of jeans (as long as the jeans aren't sparkly). I also don't send if the shirt is a collared shirt in the correct color, dark blue, white or burgundy with the navy blue pants, skirt, jumper, shorts.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Our schools are uniforms and it's basically a color combo - white shirt, blue pants, jumper or skirt, no jeans. They can get their clothes at Target, Old Navy, Walmart, the Gap, and many other stores.

Also, there's a wide and ever growing collection of school t-shirts kids can wear. Recently, I noticed all the third graders wearing these red t-shirts that indicated they had learned their times tables. The middle school grades have their own shirts too.

We don't send kids home for not wearing the uniform. We rely on parent buy-in for compliance. Because it's easy and you can get the uniforms anywhere, at very reasonable prices, most parents really like it.

The purpose of school uniforms in public schools is not to make all the kids look a certain way, but rather to keep them from looking a certain way. For us, it's far easier to enforce our uniform policy than a dress code that constantly changes due to whatever the colors one wears to indicate local gang affiliation are that week. When I was at the middle school, they were actually running out of colors kids could wear because so many colors were used by various gangs and had been banned by the school.

7. kimberd

kimberd Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

As a parent, I prefer uniforms. There's no competition to see who wears what, you all wear the same thing, making the focus more on being in school and not a competition on who can look the strangest/cutest/gothest, etc.

8. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I also work at a charter school with a strictly enforced dress code. Our students need to have navy bottoms, with a white, burgundy, or chambray blue top. I personally love the fact that the children are all dressed the same. There is no child who feels like he or she doesn't belong because they aren't wearing brand name stuff.

If a child comes in not in uniform, we send them, very discreetly I might add, with an aide to find something suitable in the storage closet to wear.

As a parent, I also like that it is cheaper :) I just got my soon to be first grader's pants this past weekend at Gap. We got five pants for $63. They will likely last him all year. Old Navy also usually has polos for under $12.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

I like uniforms. It eliminates a lot of the bs that went on when I was in school regarding who was wearing what. As a parent, it makes it easy to get kids dressed in the mornings...no 'but I don't WANT to wear this shirt...and the one he wants is in the wash...

Around here, all of the elementary and middle schools require uniforms and one of the high schools does as well. Since so many schools require them, you can get them almost everywhere, including wal-mart and target, which makes them less expensive becuase now market place forces are at work :D