Uniforms for teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elvira, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Elvira

Elvira Rookie

Feb 25, 2013

Hi everyone :) Does this even exist? I am pro uniforms in schools for several reasons, but mostly because they make it hard to judge people based on their clothes and SES status.

But what about uniforms for teachers? I think it would make life so much simpler and it would give the school more of a sense of community. I don't think that they should be super strict, but maybe a polo with the ability to wear accessories or something? I think uniforms could maybe also give teachers a greater sense professionalism.

I like to get dressed and look cute when I go out :) but when I teach, I am there to teach, not look cute (lol). A uniform for me would give me time because I would spend less time planning a wardrobe. Plus, it would help me keep my work and home life separate. (I read the thread about having two wardrobes for both!) And I think if I didn't have a uniform, I would keep things very basic: button down shirts and black pants.

Then again, I have never had uniforms, so maybe the reality is different from theory. What do you think?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2013

My mom says it is incorrect to think uniforms even out the SES status of clothing in schools. She said when she went to school, the richer kids had uniforms bought at different stores which were made of better fabric, or cut better, or altered or they had nicer shoes or sweaters so you could still tell the difference and there was status involved. Teachers wore a uniform or school jacket, too.

I wouldn't mind as long as there was a variety of styles to choose from so people of different body types wouldn't be uncomfortable.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2013

At my school all the kids have uniforms (white polos with school logo and black pants) and all the teachers and employees wear dress code (white shirt, black pants). I love it. I never have to think about what I'm going to wear the next day. Plus it's lenient enough where I won't get in trouble for not wearing the exact uniform. For example- it's okay to wear black on black, or dark brown pants instead of black pants, etc.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 25, 2013

We have no dress code for teachers and I don't think we ever will. The union here is extremely vocal and I highly doubt I'll live to see the day where they tell us what we can/can't wear.

Every time someone mentions a dress code for teachers, I think about the guy I taught with last year: faded sweatpants every single day. No--he wasn't a gym teacher, either. Everyone said he was trying to make a statement: "You (administration) can't tell me what to wear!!!" :mad:

Personally, I enjoy wearing a shirt, tie, and slacks every day. I wouldn't be too happy about someone telling me what colors to wear, though.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 25, 2013

I personally wouldn't like it. I had them in high school and liked them then but I really like the variety now. I really like buying new clothes and shoes to wear to school. I have a ton of sweaters and pretty blouses that I enjoy wearing.

Also, when I was thinner I LOVED wearing dresses and skirts. I still have them stored in my closet now as I'm losing weight. I can't wait to wear some of them again.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2013

I taught at a school where teachers wore uniforms. The school purchased 5 polo shirts per teacher each year and we wore them with khaki, blue, brown, or black pants or skirts. I loved it. We were able to pick out color combinations of the school colors (green, black, and white).

8. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Feb 25, 2013

I would not appreciate having a teaching uniform. I love shopping for school clothes and choosing my outfits based on how I feel that day. :)

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2013

I would think there would be more important things for the unions to fight against. Plenty of occupations have uniforms, I don't know why teachers should be any different. I'm not saying that all teachers should be required to wear uniforms, I'm just saying I don't think it infringes on anyone's rights either. Gotta pick your battles, in my opinion this is not one to fight.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 25, 2013

I would not mind it. Don't think white shirts (it's hard to stay clean with my students) are a good idea but the different color polos would be nice. I like the idea of black pants/jeans too.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 25, 2013

I would hate polos. I never wear them. I'm busty and they just fit weird. I don't even own one. Plus I think teachers should dress up more at the HS level. Our men wear ties almost every day and I really like that.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2013

I'm all for dress codes, but not a uniform code.

Anyone who says khaki pants nd polo shirts look nice obviously hasn't seen me wear either. I don't own either since I look dumpy in both. Polo shirts are seriously bad. I'm very busty, so they never fit right. I also never wear collared shirts because I have a short neck. The collar would touch my earlobes.

The polo & khaki combo is also more casual than I wear to work.

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 25, 2013

I would love to have a uniform for work. It would make it so easy. Even if I am busty(which I am), I would still wear a polo shirt if it were the uniform.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2013

Not true. :(

As to my opinion on teacher uniforms, I would be up for that under certain conditions. I don't tuck, for example. And tapered pants? No, no, no. But a basic polo and your choice of kahkis or something like that, sure.

15. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 25, 2013

Another no to the polo shirts. They look awful on me, and they aren't warm enough for this climate. I would never be in uniform because I would be freezing!
    My other objection to uniforms is that we are professionals, and as such should be treated as professionals and not the hired help. Most jobs that require uniforms require them because normal, every day clothing would be ruined while doing that job(mechanics, fast food employees, etc.) I'm all for a dress code, and we have one here, but no uniforms please!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2013

Nope...not a fan of uniforms for teachers... Sure make the polos or tees and have polo day...but not every day...

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 25, 2013

Our students have uniforms, and it has been suggested that teachers might go to uniforms. While the uniform shirt they chose appears fine, I like to get more dressed up. I like to wear a nice dress shirt and dress slacks. At least once a week I wear a tie. I feel dressing up is a good thing for those who want to do it. I don't think I should have to dress down just so that we all can look the same.

18. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 25, 2013

I wouldn't be a fan, despite how much I struggle with putting together "work" outfits. I have a hard enough time finding pants that fit without having to get a specific type.

19. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2013

I would hate it! I wear skirts/dresses every day (except jeans on Friday). Dress pants just do not fit me. I'm too short for the regular length but too tall for the specific "short" pants. I'm also an "apple" shape so it's really hard to find pants that fit in the waist and don't appear to be 6 sizes too big everywhere else. I gave up on wearing dress pants years ago! As far as polos, I don't really think they're dressy enough for school.

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 25, 2013

My school has uniforms for the kids (the basic certain colors/no denim type thing, NOT the expensive ones from a uniform company), but teachers don't wear uniforms. I would hate it! I am generally not a clothes person at all, but I actually really love shopping for work clothes, putting together outfits, and wearing nice clothes to work. I would be bored wearing the same thing every day.

21. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Feb 28, 2013

I think this is an awful idea. I'm an adult, I rather enjoy picking out what I am going to wear each day. It would probably make my life more difficult, actually. The only polos I wear are the couple that I own to play golf, they look terrible on me. I'm extremely petite and pear shaped, so finding professional pants that fit is really difficult. As a result, I wear dresses nearly every single day.

I see nothing wrong with looking cute at work as well. I love raiding the petite department for dresses at stores like Ann Taylor Loft, and the Banana Republic outlet has a GREAT petite section by me (and frequently runs the promotion of 40% off all items). All of my work dresses are an appropriate length, cover my chest, and I wear a cardigan to cover my shoulders. When I get dressed for work and coordinate my outfits, I FEEL professional and as silly as it seems, feel ready to face the day. There isn't any reason that you shouldn't be able to look cute at work and in your personal life, if that is your choice.

Key word: choice.

Plus I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my work wardrobe makes me look more professional than the polo uniform you are suggesting, however, I understand where you are coming from, since some teachers seem to RUN with the lack of dress code.

22. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 28, 2013

Meh. I don't really care about my clothes as long as they look professional and they cover my arm tattoo.

23. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Feb 28, 2013

My bestfriend's school is pretty awesome. They purchased 2 really nice oxford shirts for each teacher with the school mascot and colors. The teachers are allowed to wear their own clothes but are encouraged to wear the "uniform".

They even offer incentives for teachers who wear the uniform a certain number of days per quarter (it's something small like a $5 giftcard)

I know it's required during testing weeks because it's a show of solidarity.

My friend loves it because it saves him money on clothes and it makes him readily identifiable as a teacher

EDIT: I forgot to write my opinion. Personally I am in favor of uniforms because I work with 6 year olds and have ruined many a nice outfit on the job.

Some of the older teachers wear high heels/dress shoes, panty hose and dresses to work everyday. I can't do my job effectively when I'm all dolled up.

I know it would never fly, but I wish teachers had the option to wear jeans and/or scrubs

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2013

I am not really much of a fashionista. I wouldn't mind at all if I had to wear a uniform at school as long as it was somewhat flattering (or at least not unflattering) and comfortable. I'd LOVE to wear a school polo or hoodie with khakis every day. :lol:

25. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Feb 28, 2013

The private school I taught in had a staff uniform. I learned how to "jazz" it up real quick lol.

26. Eurydike

Eurydike Rookie

Mar 1, 2013

This is very true. I went to a school with uniforms. You could tell when someone could afford the uniform and when they bought something similar but wasn't the right brand. Students also find ways to be creative, such as carrying around really, really expensive purses/backpacks, brand name shoes, jewelry, that sort of thing. I don't think uniform prevents people from seeing your financial background.

I don't think I'm particularly pro or against teachers with uniforms.

27. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2013

I did.

They gave us 5 royal blue polo type shirts with the school logo and we wore them with khaki, docker type pants. Ponty type pants were OK too.
    We turned all shirts in on Friday for a professional clean.
    The cleaners gave us 5 black shirts for the next week.

I loved it.
    I didn't have to think about what to wear.
    I didn't care for the polo though as it was unisex.
    Sometimes I would forget a clean shirt on Fridays to change into so the cleaners could have my shirt.

28. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 1, 2013

Nope, no uniforms for teachers. I am a professional and I think I can handle choosing what I wear to work. My regular work wardrobe is dressier than a polo and khakis. I teach the littles and nothing gets ruined.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2013

That type of shirt would not work for me. I need two sizes larger to fit my boobs (and I'm not a small woman as is), and then I have a tent look going on. Ugh...horribly awkward and uncomfortable. I vote for Ceasar's hoodie! :)

30. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 1, 2013

One school that I worked at had a gym uniform that the kids wore on gym days. It was simple: a school t-shirt or sweatshirt & either sweats or shorts. I think the bottoms had to be black I don't remember. Teachers could wear the gym uniform on the same day that their kids did, but we could wear black khakis. I loved that. 2 days a week I knew what I was going to wear & the other 3 days I could dress up a bit more.

31. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 2, 2013

I think of uniforms for certain jobs and I don't think it would show teachers are the professionals that they are, so I'm not okay with uniforms for teachers. I see myself as an individual and I don't mind keeping a separate wardrobe of clothes that is appropriate for my job. I do educational "stuff" outside of teaching at my school, so I wouldn't want to be stuck with just clothes that represent my school- I'm so much more than that as an educator.

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2013

I don't at all equate professional with dress, so that aspect doesn't bother me at all.

33. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2013

Some years back in a school where I worked this idea was suggested by the Head Teacher. Many of us on the staff greeted the idea with loud enthusiasm and demanded to know when we would be measured for our uniforms! The Head Teacher looked at us strangely and asked why we needed measuring. We told him that we would all need 3 sets of uniform, one to wear, one in the wardrobe and one in the wash. Of course we could probably get away with two suits but certainly 3 shirts and pairs of socks would be needed. Also we asked him how the school would organise the cleaning of these uniforms. Would we bring them in so that they could be laundered separatly or was it up to us to arrange cleaning and then bring in the bill for reclaiming? The idea was quickly dropped.

34. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Mar 3, 2013

I agree it would make things easier, but I would not be ok with my already over-the-top, micromanaging administration telling me what to wear to work every day. The expectation is that we dress professionally, and we all do. In fact, we have some teachers who refuse to wear the casual spirit dress on Fridays because it's not professional. As far as I'm concerned, professional dress is our "uniform." Our students wear uniforms and constantly whine, "Why don't you have to wear a uniform?" Because I'm a teacher. This is my classroom, where I make the rules. I've proven myself to be responsible enough to dress respectfully and appropriately, and I've earned the right as a professional adult to make my own decisions. In my opinion, many students would view teachers wearing uniforms as an equalizer. I think it's important for there to be reasonably different expectations for students and teachers. Sometimes there has to be the simple explanation of, "Because you're the student, and I'm the teacher. Period."

35. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Mar 3, 2013

I would go for it. I don't have money to buy clothes anyway. My 7 year old son takes all of that. :mad: