Unhappy with Scholastic 25 books/$25

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WaterfallLady, Sep 12, 2011.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2011

I know I am not asking a lot when I buy 25 books for $25. My classroom library is incredibly small, and I have few books at the 3rd grade level, and almost none at the 1st and 2nd. Most of my kids are reading end of first grade/ beginning of second grade level.

I ordered the Scholastic 25 books for $25 from Lucky, the 2nd-3rd grade club. Many of the books were for 5-6th grade. It's okay if a few were, because there are always kids above grade level, but this was disappointing.

I did get some pretty good books, some leveled readers. A few were seasonal but I knew I'd get them because it said in the ad. I just wish more were at grade level.

Now, I have to decide if I want to go down a level and get that 25 book for $25 deal so I can have some books my students can read.

3. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

Sep 12, 2011

Cheap Books

I was experiencing a similar problem trying to find books at specific levels from Scholastic (my school implements AR and sometimes I need books that are at a specific decimal level for my students). I ended up buying my books from thrift shops (especially Goodwill, where I can get books for 50 cents each). I have had no difficulty finding a broad range of reading levels and my library is extensive and accommodates reading levels from 0.1-6.9.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 12, 2011

That's disappointing. I've actually had really good luck with Scholastic over the last few years when it comes to leveling books for my library.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2011

The kids books at my thrift store are $3 or $2.50 :(

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

Waterfall...call Scholatic and tell them what you're looking for...the $25 deal is usually a crapshoot, but they may be able to help you out.

7. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Sep 13, 2011

Garage sales

8. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

:eek:

Have you checked out the books on the Scholastic Teacher Store website? They have a $1 book sale at least once a year. I think they offer books at a range of reading levels.

9. frugalmama

frugalmama Rookie

Sep 14, 2011

Waterfall -

I ordered both the seesaw and lucky $25 packs - I can PM you a list of what was in seesaw if that helps.

I agree - the lucky pack was really far ahead this time, but I'm okay with it since I know I can use them in years ahead {we move up grades every year with the students}

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 14, 2011

Have you tried checking freecycle for books? I recently unloaded several boxes of books through that website (I somehow wound u with multiples of a lot of books, and I decided to give away the books my kids had outgrown), and I frequently see others posting books to give away as well. You can also post your own wanted ad, and see if anybody responds.

I know that doesn't help with the disappointment from Scholastic, but it might help get your classroom library a bit larger :).

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2011

That's interesting. Last time I ordered the Lucky pack (a year or two ago), most of the books were on the lower end of 2nd grade, which didn't work so well for the majority of my 3rd graders.

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2011

I love those sales, but I thought they just sold teacher resource books.

13. firstgradefun

firstgradefun New Member

Sep 21, 2011

Do you send home book orders? I do a monthly book order with my class and I have built my classroom library through bonus points. Last year and so far this year too I have had great participation with book orders, so I've earned a lot of bonus points. I am in my third year of teaching now, and I haven't purchased books for my classroom library since my first year.

14. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2011

I do send home orders but I have an extremely small class so that makes it difficult.