unfriendly teacher-aide relationship??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by thesub, Mar 18, 2017.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 18, 2017

Hi all: I am a p/t aide in 2nd grade floating between self-contained and gened classrooms. I am generally v. friendly and get along with everyone. However, in my 3 years of working as an aide in the school, there are some teachers who won't make small talk or even smile when I enter the room in the morning and I work in their rooms! I know teachers are busy and am time before kids enter the room is a very precious time. But these same teachers will smile and talk to other aides in the classroom - so I am wondering is it me or something else? They will barely say hi in the hallway and only talk to me if they need to give me instructions,

I am originally from India and I do have an accent but I have been in this school for 3 years and everyone knows me by sight. I am bothered only because I see some aide- teacher relationships so friendly and they are friends on FB, hang out after school etc. These aides have also been around only 3 years but are f/t.

We had pie day on 3/14 and I wanted to go in the faculty room to taste some pies but I felt nobody would talk to me for the 5 minutes I'd be eating a pie slice, so I did not go. There have been other similar situations. If I sub in the afternoon, I feel awkward sitting with other teachers in the faculty room to eat lunch. They are already in a cozy group.

Thank you so much for any feedback. I do feel a stab of jealousy when I see aides-teacher gossiping in lowered voices!!!

3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Mar 18, 2017

The answer is that the teachers and aides are friends outside of school. So they're going to have more camaraderie and thus, more conversations.

I'm sorry you feel alone. Schools can be a tough place to make friends.

Try to make more friends OUTSIDE of work.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 18, 2017

You prob should have gone to get that slice of pie, and then you should have struck up a conversation with someone. That is one way to get to know people. I don't say much to the para who comes to my room in the morning... not because I have anything against her... but because her job is to work with a student, and I have my own things I need to be doing. It's not social time! You need to get to know the other adults outside of student contact time... meetings, lunch, etc.

Caesar753 and czacza like this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2017

This EXACTLY!

I have two paras who work on my room. We are busy ALL day and it's a rare moment to have a chat. They are lovely women, work hard and when we have the chance, we enjoy sharing a story or laugh. But then it's all business again when kids are in the room.

Make more of an effort if your situation is bothering you. A smile goes a long way. Offer to make copies, hang a bulletin board in free moments, etc. Try a compliment. Small overtures can make a big difference.

Caesar753 likes this.
  6. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 20, 2017

Thank you all. I will keep doing what I am already doing then. I always offer my help in any way I can, smile etc.