Unfortunate event

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scooter503, Sep 8, 2008.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

I don't even know if unfortunate is the right word. Maybe terrible is closer. While I was at lunch today another teacher came running down the hall screaming for help and that someone needed to call 911. Myself, a parent volunteer (luckily, a nurse), an aid, and the secretary, went running down the hall. A young man was in the school's entry way having a seizure. It ended up being the aid's son...he was bringing her grandson in for a quick visit. We had to call an ambulance and keep the kids outside for an extended recess because we didn't want them to come in and see what was happening. It was so scary. I'm hoping we will have word tomorrow on how he is.

I also found out one of my students had to go into surgery today for appendicitis. So, overall, a very stressful day. I'm really hoping tomorrow is much better.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 8, 2008

:hugs:WOW! That is a STRESSFUL day! Many Hugs!:hugs:

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

Hugs and will keep you in my prayers. So much happening to so many of us. Wish you luck. Let us know how he is and your student.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Awwwww..... Thankfully, it happened around other people who could help him.

6. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Thank goodness he wasn't driving

7. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

How scary! It's good to know you all worked together as a team to resolve the situation and prevent the kids from being traumatized! Let us know how both the aid's son and your student are doing!:hugs:

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2008

A very stressful day indeed!! I will continue to pray for the son and the student who needs surgery.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

How lucky they are to have you with your nursing background. Take a few deep breaths!

10. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

Update

Our aid was back in school today. Her son came home from the hospital around 6 last night. He had a medicine-induced seizure, so they took him off one of his meds, and he is on anti-seizure meds for now.

As for my student who had his appendix out, he also came home today, but won't be back at school until next week.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers for these families.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2008

What a day! I'm glad everything turned out well.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2008

I'm glad that everything worked itself out and everyone is okay.

13. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

Alleluiah!

14. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 9, 2008

Glad to hear both are home!

15. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Sep 11, 2008

New occurance

Well, the difficult events continue. Today one of my students broke his wrist during gym and now may have to have surgery. Seriously, two of my 21 students have surgery the same week? :eek: His friends were pretty upset about it...one boy cried for a half hour after being sent back to my room. Another boy felt sick for most of the morning after seeing it.

I really hope that after all this, the rest of the year doesn't bring more bad news. At this point I almost feel like my class is cursed.

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 11, 2008

Yes I am too! I am sorry this happened! It seems like bad news is the common thing right now. I just read someone else's thread about a student dieing.

17. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 12, 2008

Sad, at least they're both okay!

18. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

I'm glad he's OK. Although I know he was an adult and not a student, this is my view:

I think schools should have a brief training on what to do for seizures. Kind of like the training they do for bodily fluids. That way, people wouldn't be running down the hall screaming for help. Seizures are not dangerous unless they're compromising air flow (rare) or last more than 5 minutes. The main thing to do is to make sure the person is not hurting their head (put something soft under their head or, if it's a walking seizure, make sure they don't fall and hit their head.) Call the nurse to come to the room. That's it. No making sure they don't swallow their tongues or anything like that.

I spent two years in a self-contained room that saw multiple seizures every day from different children. There is absolutely no reason to panic in that manner.

19. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

I'm sorry you think we didn't handle things well. Let me clarify a few things. We are a very tiny school, so we don't have a nurse. The seizure happened right by the office, but the secretary just happened to be getting her lunch from the lounge. The person who witnessed the seizure was a guest in the building, so just called for help. A nearby music teacher ran to the lounge for extra help, knowing that's where unoccupied staff would be (this was lunch hour for some of us).
    The staff who came to help knew what to do (and one of the people helping was a parent volunteer who is a nurse). Most things were done well, and none of the students were even aware of anything happening until the ambulance pulled up.