Unfamiliar subject?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Bored of Ed, May 17, 2009.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

Would you take a subbing job in a subject that you're not familiar with?

I got an offer, actually a request -- they're really desperate. But the subject is really out of my element. It's a low elementary level, so hopefully my lack of knowledge in that area won't be too bad... I've just never really done that before. I'm so used to teaching things that I know and am passionate about. But they want me and I could really use the extra employment (they're desperate enough to take me only on my off-days (every other) and find someone else to cover the class when I'm working)

WWYD?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

In this economy, take it.

Then cram all you can and become as close to an instant expert as you can. If that means using cheat sheets in front of the kids, that's OK.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

I agree with Alice. Take it! :)

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 17, 2009

You'll never even know if you like it until you try it. If you were taking a full teaching job, it would be one thing but as a sub this is your perfect opportunity to try it. Also, I agree with Alice and Cassie, in this economy...take everything you can.

6. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

May 18, 2009

Take it. I'm working all week in math and art positions, 2 of my worst subjects, and it's made me more valuable to the sub caller. She explained that no one is taking these jobs and was relieved when I accepted, which meant she's calling me much more often and giving me many more working days.

School's almost out and I think everyone wants to pad up their last couple of paychecks for the summer.

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 18, 2009

All right... update: I decided to take the position, but the P called back and changed her tune. I can't stand people like this (she does it all the time) -- I made it perfectly clear when she called me like two weeks ago (this was a planned, 2-week absence) that it's not my best subject to teach, plus it's awkward to split a 2-week job by alternate days, so it would be better if she could find someone to take the whole thing but I'd be willing to pinch-hit if they got stuck.

So when she called back this morning to ask if we were on, I was thinking, OK they got stuck. So I said, although it's not my area of expertise I'll do it for you -- just please make sure the teacher leaves complete plans. (because I could teach the plans, just not really come up with material myself, which you sometimes wind up doing...)

And she was like "Now you sound like you don't want to do it. <big sigh> Well, if you're not prepared to teach that subject, I'll look around and see if I can find someone on short notice." <Guilt trip>

So she still might call back and say she needs me after all. But COME ON!!! I did not say ANYTHING that would make her think I was particularly interested in this job! I made it clear from the beginning that this was not my area of expertise and that I'd only do it if she could not find someone to take the whole two weeks.

This is the same principal who, after you make it clear what hours you will be coming, asks you to do after-school program at the last minute... things like that. The kind that instead of saying "Can you do it?" says, "You're doing it, right?"

Argh. If I didn't need this school's business I would never talk to the lady at all...