Unexplainable Phenomena

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Oct 29, 2013.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 29, 2013

I was thinking about this today. There are so many things that happen in classrooms that I don't think happen in the natural world. For example: if I open a new box of tissues, suddenly 14 students need to blow their nose.

Or what happens to pencils? I truly don't understand this one. I don't have a pencil sharpener in my room that works well, so I will take a huge handful of new pencils to another class, sharpen them and put them out for the kids. (They have their own supplies/desks, but without a place for them to sharpen pencils, that part doesn't work well for us). The next day they are all saying they need pencils again--they can never find their pencils! I don't know if there's like an elf that comes in and steals them or what. ;)

What other phenomena do you experience?

3. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 29, 2013

Thirst is highly contagious. If I let one child get a drink of water from the fountain, suddenly they are all thirsty at once!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2013

The need to visit the washroom, especially for the boys, is contagious as well.

5. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Oct 29, 2013

:lol:

6. live

live Companion

Oct 29, 2013

Same with one kid needing an ice pack...

7. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Oct 29, 2013

If one kid needs a throat lozenge, all of a sudden they are all soooo sick!

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 29, 2013

I teach older children. This is one thing I can't figure out...on a regular class day I have maybe two kids that need to go to the restroom. On test days, as soon as students finish taking their tests, they HAVE to go. It is an emergency. Never have to go any other time.

Which I'm totally fine with - I'd rather they go when their work is done and not miss lecture/activity days. It is just puzzling how taking a test for 30 minutes can make your bladder go into overdrive.

9. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Oct 29, 2013

the moment I start giving directions someone has to raise their hand before I can utter "Please put your name on your paper"

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 29, 2013

We get contagious bladder in my room.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 29, 2013

The pencil thing! Where do they GO?!?!

The thirst thing too!

Oh, and the minute I write someone a nurse's slip, they suddenly all remember the stomachaches, itchy eyes, and irritating scrapes that have been bothering them "ALL DAY"... :rolleyes:

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 29, 2013

Going to the nurse is contagious and needing a band aid.

As soon as I write a story about something, they've all had the exact same experience to write about.

13. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 29, 2013

Me: "Are there any questions before I have you begin?"
    <crickets chirp>
    Me: "Again...if you have ANY questions... I'm happy to answer them... just let me know."
    <a tumbleweed passes by my shins>
    Me: "Last call... if there is ANY issue you want clarified, explained, or exemplified... please just raise your hand and I'm more than happy doing the first problem with you until you feel confident."
    <outside a lone wolf howls forlornly>
    Me: "Okay...you may begin."
    I walk to my desk to see eight students rushing up to ask me a question.

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 29, 2013

I swear third graders eat pencils or something.

Also, my colleagues and I have all agreed that whoever can come up with some sort of corking device to prevent a bazillion bathroom breaks a day will be a rich, rich person.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 29, 2013

:lol:

Yes, this too!

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2013

In preschool, if one child has an owie, everyone has one to show.

17. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2013

There's always a handful of students who are very, very, very sick/hurt/etc right when I blow the whistle to go in after recess. Ummm... you were just playing soccer, I think you're fine!

Not a single pencil in my room right now has an eraser. All the pencil top erasers are missing too. So is the giant eraser I keep at my small group table. Where did they all go?

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 29, 2013

I find this to be true to. And sometimes I make my example so ridiculous and yet, amazingly they all had that same experience! :dizzy:

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 29, 2013

We also have contagious bladder syndrome, especially among the girls.

For some reason, the word "Name" with a line beside it (plus my instructions given at least 5 times) doesn't spur anyone to actually write their name.

Band-aid conversation:
    Student - "I need a band-aid."
    Me - show me
    Student - "See, I'm bleeding!"
    Me - Where? (getting out magnifying glass)
    Student (sounding panicked) - Here!
    (this continues for a while, and finally...)
    Me - Well, I don't see a puddle of blood, and there aren't any body parts falling off, so I guess you didn't need it after all!

20. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Oct 29, 2013

The pencil thing, I find them all over my floor! I stopped buying pencils a few years ago because I just pick up the pencils kids forget in my room and put them in a basket for them next time they get to class and can't find their pencil. It's like magic!

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 29, 2013

HAHAHAHA.....This is Special Ed. Always. Except add in the part where I have 2 kids repeat back the directions and then 4 kids still have no idea what to do after I say "Begin." :lol:

22. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Oct 29, 2013

Yup! My custodian will save them for me after he sweeps. He was just throwing them away before that! Every morning I arrived to about 20 sitting on my table.

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 29, 2013

My pencils don't end up on the floor - they just disappear (along with the erasers on the remaining pencils). Our custodian does pick up any pencils she finds, as well as crayons :)

24. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 29, 2013

There's a black hole in my classroom that swallows up every piece of paper I put down. However, if I reprint or re-copy the paper, the black hole spits out the original and I find it immediately.

25. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 29, 2013

:lol::lol: This! This exactly!!

26. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 29, 2013

Same with mine! We check the floors, I check their desks-they just evaporate. ;)

27. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 29, 2013

I like that one too. It never fails.

28. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 29, 2013

The papers without names on them don't belong to anyone. It's the craziest thing. We even do the whole 'sit down when you hear your name' thing and STILL the paper doesn't belong to anyone.

29. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 29, 2013

This one is SO true! We'll be talking about Remembrance Day next week... amazing how many of my students have personal accounts from their experiences during WWII.

30. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Oct 29, 2013

The desk that acts like the Bermuda Triangle of missing work. Ask the student that can't find his/her paper in the desk to look in the desk again. Told it is not in there because they looked for it. Teacher goes over to the desk and the missing paper is once again there or even better, it is safely tucked into the "Work in Progress" folder that is in the desk. Who knew the mere presence of a teacher near the desk could make missing work once again reappear!

31. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Oct 29, 2013

Two or three boys just happen to be sitting in the same group and just happen to all have to go to the bathroom at the same time and "it's an emergency." A whole bouncing in their seat and pleading with their eyes kinda emergency....suuuuurrrre :rolleyes:

32. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 30, 2013

I forgot about this one! SO true!

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2013

Love this, Ted! The same thing happens in my room.

34. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 30, 2013

Oh yes. And also when something happens like a books were not put away properly or someone colored on a chair...no one in class did it, I often refer to a ghost child. ;)

35. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 30, 2013

This reminds me of Family Circus's "Not Me" ghost! ;)

36. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 30, 2013

I get the thirst thing all the time. I only let them go one at a time so I tell they can go after so-and-so has gone, and after such-and-such has gone.

9/10 times, they forget they needed water in the first place and stay in their desks.

37. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2013

We keep an extra desk in the room for Nobody. Actually has a name tag on it. Every paper that isn't claimed by someone goes into Nobody's desk. If someone is looking for their paper I just tell them that Nobody took it.

Nobody also gets blamed for any nefarious activities that happen in the room. Nobody talks out, doesn't follow directions, loses things, eats pencils, etc.

Poor Nobody! I have a class of 18 children who are perfectly behaved and never do a thing wrong...and poor Nobody. :lol:

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2013

Love it, swansong!

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2013

I know... our office secretary would give a little Vaseline on qtips to those with chapped lips...everyone would need that. UGH!!!

Agree with the pencils...must be like my sock monster between the washer & dryer..LOL!!!

Why do desks (if in rows or close) become Parallel bars? You know how kids swing between them. I would say this is not gymnastics class, please don't swing.

And chairs need to be rocked back on 2 legs... my class (because I subbed in all grades before landing my spot) would say with me " 4 on the FLOOR!. I would love it when a child would see another one rocking and would say it to them!!! LOL!!!

Shoelaces...do they all untie at the same time? For lower grades, I mean seriously. I told my K students I was an expert shoe tier & crayon peeler!!! When I taught 1st I don't think we could walk down the hall without a shoe coming untied. We talked about it and I told them if that got a flat (untied shoe) step out of line and pull over to fix (tie) it. So I would say where's so and so (I knew of course) a student would say "Oh she had a flat.) LOL!!!

40. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2013

I've encountered my fair share of SBHIs (pronounced sib-hi). These are Sucking Black Holes of Intellect, i.e.,the kids who make all the kids who sit around them a little more stupid just through their very presence.

41. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Oct 30, 2013

I have nothing of importance to add to the conversation, except I love the imagery and dialogue you used. :lol: