Unexpected things you've had to buy?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by missrebecca, Apr 5, 2015.

1. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Apr 5, 2015

What are some things you've bought for teaching (out of your own pocket!) that you wouldn't have expected?

For me, it is filing cabinets and bookshelves. My classroom was not outfitted with these things -- and to my surprise, many of my mentor teachers/current coworkers also bought their own. I mean... where are we supposed to keep our files and books?! lol

Your turn! :)

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 5, 2015

Nothing unexpected, but I have bought a lot of normal stuff that I shouldn't have needed to purchase... pencils, notebooks, book sets, etc.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 5, 2015

As a college student, I never imagined that there would be a day where I would have to walk into a store to buy a bag of gravel, potting soil, and sand for my classroom.

5. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Apr 5, 2015

My mindset is..if it is important, it will be provided or furnished. If not, I and the students work around it somehow. I don't think anyone has suffered as a result, and it has helped me differentiate between a want and a need. And also, from spending out of my own pocket. But everyone has their own comfort level in this regard, which is perfectly acceptable.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 5, 2015

I have to buy tablecloths to cover my bookcases and other things lying around in stacks around my classroom for state testing.

I guess that's the strangest.

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2015

Shoe polish, Isopropyl, Baby oil, coffee filters, cotton balls and blue painters tape. These were all for art projects.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 5, 2015

trash cans and clocks. You'd think that a school would provide these things. But not all do/did.

I've had to buy three trash cans and five clocks. The trash cans have gone missing. Three of the clocks were "borrowed" without my permission and never returned. One broke.

I said that I wouldn't buy any more after the first go 'round, but it is mighty difficult to teach without either.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 5, 2015

Red cabbage, glycerine, liquid nitrogen, thousands of popsicle sticks, containers of all types, wood glue, root beer extract, etc. The list could go on.

10. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Apr 5, 2015

Clocks!! The teacher who used my classroom before me took the clock with her... I'm guessing she paid for it. Then I bought a new clock, and the cycle continued.

Another weird thing... live worms. The kind you buy for fishing bait. But my school reimbursed me for them.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2015

Why not use sheets from home? Just curious. I certainly hope you are shopping at thrift stores for these things! :cool:

12. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 5, 2015

Meal worms :lol:
    My 2nd graders last year raised meal worms when we studied life cycles and they're a bit more durable than caterpillars, which we also studied. Every kid got 2 meal worms, and most of them (with a few uh... substitutions for dead ones) survived the experience.
    Meal worms are cheap though, so I actually ended up having enough that one of the other teachers used them as well for her class.

13. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 5, 2015

I'd be weirded out to see my sheets just hanging around my classroom for 2 weeks. :lol:

I'm purchasing cheap tablecloths or shower curtains from the dollar store. Plus I can keep them for years to come so it's an investment of sorts. ;)

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 5, 2015

I bought the clock on the wall! My classroom used to be a closet, so there wasn't one.

I also bought an iPad charging dock.