Unexpected Openings

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mathteachertobe, Jul 19, 2016.

1. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

I am reposting a post I wrote in 2013. My rereading of that thread suggests 5 to 6 people thought they got additional interviews by following this advice and several got jobs. Here is what I said then:

Two years ago, as my job hunt was becoming desperate, I took Alice's advice and started emailing principals about my availability should they find themselves with any unfilled positions. Not just principals at schools with posted openings, but all principals that might have an opening I could fill, which for me meant all middle and high schools. Those emails led to a one year position in a very large district, which was my foot in the door, as I am still with that district, now in a tenure-track job.

I just want to remind everyone still looking that a lot of schools find themselves with unexpected openings in the week or two before school starts. If you haven't done so, I strongly recommend you start emailing principals. My cover letter served as the text of my email and I attached my resume as a PDF. The subject heading was something like: Math/Biology teaching positions

I know how demoralizing the job search can be, but Alice's insistence on trying this approach really did get me that first job, so hopefully this post will encourage someone else to go ahead and start sending those emails.

Best of luck to all still looking.

mckbearcat48 likes this.
  3. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

It is definitely worth a shot. Thank you for this.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2016

Sometimes in the middle of the summer teachers get jobs as vice principals and move away. This creates an unexpected opening.
    My hope is that I will make some new teacher very happy and save my old district a boatload of money.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2016

Alice had lots of good advice! Thanks for reminding us of her encouragement. Good luck to those still looking!

6. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 20, 2016

I sure do miss Alice! She was a great supporter.

I know that my school always has those last minute job postings due to increase in enrollment or other teachers leaving