Unemployment in Iowa

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cozzmokramer, Mar 4, 2012.

1. cozzmokramer

cozzmokramer Rookie

Mar 4, 2012

Going to be cut after teaching in the same district for 13 years. Hard to believe but it appears to be true. Because of 'declining enrollment'. Anyway, I am hunting for a different job, but it's tough because nobody even wants to interview me because they don't want to pay me experience. (Which at this point, I would consider taking less for.)

Anyway, does anyone know if teachers in Iowa can file for unemployment benefits?

3. cozzmokramer

cozzmokramer Rookie

Mar 5, 2012

Thought I would bump this to the top since the only reply doesn't seem to match the topic. Thanks for any help...

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2012

Have you contacted your state unemployment office?

5. strassy

strassy Rookie

Mar 5, 2012

can't discharged teachers everywhere in the US get unemployment as long as they weren't fired due to poor performance?

6. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Mar 5, 2012

Yeah that odd post smells of spam. I have seen it posted several times now in different threads.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2012

I'm also pretty sure you can apply if you are laid off. Apply. The worst that can happen is that you are not awarded UI.

But, I would go to your states unemployment website and see what their requirements are for your state.

8. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Mar 15, 2012

Yes you can.

9. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Mar 17, 2012

You should be able to after your last check is paid. I was able to do it in Nevada twice as a teacher after being laid off and wrongfully dismissed.

10. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Mar 17, 2012

You can get it if you are fired. "Poor performance" is a lot of hooey and is in the eye of the nitwit administrator. I think you mean gross misconduct, which has to be pretty serious for UI to be denied. State UI departments tend to be favorable to the applicants rather than to employers.

11. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Mar 17, 2012

EXPERIENCE WITH UI HERE!

Let me clarify if you are fired mid-year, you are not going to get unemployment.
    If at the end of a contract time then yes.

Yes I am YELLING or talking really strong in this post.

WARNING! WILL ROBINSON WARNING! :eek:

DO NOT WAIT TILL LAST PAYCHECK!!!!!
    You will be toast in August. This is what I was told from state unemployment as you will go over over 60 days since last job. If you wait 61 days before filing you will NOT qualify for UI. :eek:

FILE THE DAY AFTER YOUR LAST DAY OF WORK!!!
    Or at least within a week.

File ASAP after you are unemployed. You will keep getting money from your school. Then when you fill your weekly certification you will declare that money, and you will get zero unemployment. When the year is up in August (around here) you will start receiving unemployment.

Again if you wait will your money is over you will not qualify for unemployment.