unemployment for teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rabbitt, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2013

Another thread got we thinking about unemployment for teachers. I know at one point, WI was required to pay teachers 12 months so they could not apply for unemployment. Then it became 'law' that teachers cannot file unemployment. So now some districts are opting for 9-10 month pay.

Does any state allow for teachers to apply for unemployment?
    Or is this a federal law?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 2, 2013

I've been in the sub teaching/teaching field since 1999 & I've applied for UI about 5-6 times throughout the years...including right now.

4. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 2, 2013

I don't think it's the pay schedule that determines one's eligibility for unemployment as a teacher, but whether or not the teacher expects to return to the district.

At least in Illinois, if you're on a continuing contract, then you don't qualify for unemployment during the summer months.

I've heard, but don't know if it's true, that if you are not renewed, apply and get benefits during the summer, then start another job in the fall, you'll have to repay the benefits.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2013

That's how it works here. The district just sent out an email telling teachers and subs that as of right now, all teachers and subs can reasonably expect to return to work next year and are therefore not eligible for unemployment.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2013

I'm not sure about during the summer months because we do get 12 month pay, but I do know that teachers who lose their jobs are eligible for unemployment here. I would assume though that they could not start receiving it until the end of the summer, since we are still getting paid in the summer here.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 2, 2013

Rabbitt - Teachers cannot file for unemployment over the summer or teachers who lose their jobs cannot file for unemployment at all? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just curious.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2013

But teachers are paid during the summer for hours already worked during the school year. Shouldn't that make a difference? I'm honestly not sure. I'm just thinking, though, that a person with a lot of money in a savings account wouldn't be denied unemployment benefits just because they had access to money.

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 2, 2013

I did it in the last couple years. As a sub, my understanding is that your status (as a continuing worker... i.e. the reasonable assurance of work letter) precludes you from UI.

10. msufan

msufan Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

I would not feel right about filing for unemployment unless I believed I would not be coming back to a job in the fall. I don't think this is what unemployment is intended to be used for.

11. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 2, 2013

I'm confused... Subs can file for unemployment during the summer?(is that what you did Ms.I?)

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2013

In most places they can't file for unemployment during the summer. Some places might allow it, but I can't believe that that number is very high.

13. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 2, 2013

Thanks Caesar, thats what I thought too. I'm surprised so many districts don't have 12 month pay. Here even bus drivers, lunch room workers, ect have 12 month pay without working in the summer.

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2013

I guess I was curious if any teacher on a 9 month payroll does/could get unemployment.

I know our own employees work 10 months a year and receive unemployment even though it's known they have a job come August. We don't give layoff.

Same with some large farms around, workers collect unemployment during the slow season without being laid off.

How is this OK for others but not teachers?

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2013

I was denied benefits as a teacher because I was under a one-year contact. My contact was over in May. I was not technically eligible to be under contract again until school began in August. I had a letter saying that I was not going to be reimployed for the following year. I was told to reapply in August after school started. By then I had been recalled. The pay periods didn't matter it went by contracted days.

Subbing was different reasons, but did not qualify at all.

That's been a long time ago, though.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2013

My 'contract' is now just a one page paper.
    It basically states 180 days from September 2, 2012 - May 22 2013 for $38,674 with 19 payrolls.

So I view this as unemployed from May 23 - Sept 3.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 2, 2013

Our province allows subs to collect EI (they call it employment insurance here). And hourly workers (Educational Assistants) also can collect EI. Any teacher under contract is not eligible. If their contract is not renewed, they are still not eligible until the start of the school year.

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 2, 2013

:yeahthat:

19. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 2, 2013

Just curious - those teachers that are getting UI, are they also covered by their employer-paid (or partially paid) insurance over the summer?

Still getting teacher discounts around town?

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2013

NJ contracts in my area of the state are typically July 1-June 30... So even though many of us are paid on a 10 month schedule, we're always under contract. I don't know of anyone who has even tried to file for UI when they've known they have a contract....instead, many get summer school jobs, tutor, or work other part time jobs to make some money in the summer.

21. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 2, 2013

True, but there are special unemployment rules for public school teachers that prohibit us from collecting if we expect to have a job in the fall.

22. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 3, 2013

Same here. My SO has been a long-term sub all year (same school, same position). His last day is June 28. July 2, he'll be filing his employment insurance claim for the summer and he'll keep the claim open until work for him picks up in mid to late September.

23. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

Yes, I stated that in my original post.
    I was just curious if this was only a WI thing and why only teachers and not others on 10 month jobs.

24. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Jun 3, 2013

Even though I am only paid for 10 months of the year, I am employed all 12 months. We have a summer saver program that pays us over the 2 summer months. I am at no point unemployed, so I wouldn't apply for unemployment.

How is this OK for others and not teachers?...we have integrity?

25. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 3, 2013

It's a federal thing and was enacted about 40 years ago.

26. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Jun 3, 2013

You can only file in NJ if you are not returning in September otherwise you're still under contract.