Unemployed!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by firstgurl85, May 20, 2008.

1. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

May 20, 2008

Just need to vent. I have been a long term sub since September in a school i LOVE! BUT... the teacher i am subbing for will be returning in September. So here i am a year out of college and no job, no contract, no benefits (yikes!). Where is this teacher shortage i keep hearing about? Every job i apply for has like 200 applicants! How will i ever get a job if everyone else is looking in the same place? I wish i could stay where I am but there are ZERO positions for next year (unless i want to sub AGAIN, which i am thoroughly sick of). And with gas prices over $4 here i am NOT willing to drive 45 minutes for a job! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!:unsure:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 20, 2008

People assume that when they hear of a teacher shortage that its everywhere in the country when in fact its just a few areas, Vegas, North Carolina, Arizona, and there's a shortage in only a few areas, secondary math, science, special ed, and bilingual teachers.

If you can relocate, then I know there are a lot of teachers who have done so that could help, but I understand that for some of us relocating is not an option.

I wish you luck!

4. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

May 20, 2008

Not a teacher shortage...

Hi! Just wanted to let people know there is NOT a teacher shortage in North Carolina. I am in NC. People are coming here from everywhere for teaching jobs but the locals are having trouble with jobs because every surrounding college (5 ) is doing the teacher educ. programs. And all the industry has shut down and moved overseas. Just 2 weeks ago LeesMcRae graduated 30 new teachers from this area and that is just their parttime program. Those teachers are looking for jobs. There are none. I'll take that back. In my district they have received a grant for the next 3 years for foreign language teachers. They are looking for German, French, and Spanish at both the middle and high school levels. We have 4 high schools and 5 middle schools. However, we have had budget cuts the past 2 years and teachers are being moved around and or having to move or go to work at McD's. Our district posts everything. It doesn't mean it is an actual opening. Most do not post positions that are being filled by a student teacher or someone else in the school. But, mine does and it is frustrating for anyone who might be interested. Anyway, you might be able to find a job in the eastern end of the state (NOT the beach areas) where there is nothing and no one and may be in Guildford County where nobody stays and they advertise every position known to man in their district. Charlotte and Raleigh area but the rest of us are trying to find jobs too. So when looking for teaching jobs in NC, please try those areas. I don't mean to be rude but it is very frustrating to have to compete with people from out of state for a job in your own backyard. Thanks. :unsure:

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 20, 2008

WannaTeach-you're right, these teachers did move tot he Charlotte and Raleigh areas. And I understand your frustration, as Texas is going to California recruiting teachers when there are several teachers in the area looking for work.

6. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

May 20, 2008

Why?

This is something I just don't understand. I feel frustrated for teachers looking for jobs and the district goes somewhere else to recruit. Makes no sense to me. Our district goes to Pennsylvania and Ohio. Drives everyone here nuts. I wish everyone luck in finding the perfect teaching situation no matter where it is.

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 20, 2008

I'm curious, what about Cumberland County? I hear they've had alot of growth within the past several years.
    Seems like they are trying hard to go from a small town to a commercialize city.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2008

Are you willing to relocate to one of those hot areas? You will almost certainly land a teaching job in Las Vegas if you have a valid license.

9. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

May 20, 2008

Cumberland

Hi! Cumberland County is growing. It is a beautiful area. Because it is a military area (Fayetteville) there are many transient people. Yes, they do encourage people to come because it is close to the beach. They have open enrollment for teachers. It seems they are currently advertising for elementary, math, allied health and exceptional children (speech, social work etc.). Fayetteville is the 6th largest city in the state with about 175,000 people.

10. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

May 20, 2008

I would relocate but i just relocated here to CT to be w/ my fiance! I'm already at a disadvantage b/c i don't know the area and there are SEVERAL major universities that have great teacher ed programs. We have Uconn, Quinnapiac, SCSU, Sacred Heart, Fairfield U, etc. The list goes on and on!:thanks:

11. canman1971

canman1971 Rookie

May 20, 2008

What is your field? I know there are many jobs in Mass and NH. I know it sucks. I just went through it and struck gold. Just got another call today for an interview, but had to turn it down.

12. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

May 20, 2008

El ed K-6

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

I second the notion that NC is not as teacher deprived as one thinks! Yes, they need math and science MS and HS teachers. They also need EC/Sped teachers. Other than that, there is not a whole lot out there! I live near Charlotte and my school has to lose a teacher for next year and the neighboring school has to lose THREE. Luckily, we have a teacher retiring, so we all get to keep our jobs at my school!!

14. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 21, 2008

Yep, Vegas is hiring :)

15. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 22, 2008

I'm still waiting to hear about a job too. In our district, teachers move around in-house first, and then the new applicants (moi) get assigned to the positions that are left. I heard that I could be waiting until August to hear something. Regarding general ed here in my neck of the woods - one teacher recently told me about a position that had approx 500 applicants! Not sure if that's true or not but wow... Apparently there are no gen ed positions in central Illinois. I'll bet there's some in Chicago though.

16. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

May 28, 2008

sounds familiar. Everyplace i have applied says they are going through hundred of apps! I just can't believe it's so hard to get a job! I dont want to substitute for the rest of my life. I have plans ya know!

17. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 29, 2008

I feel all of your pain. I don't know what teacher shortage they are talking about either. It's almost impossible to get a job, especially with budget cuts!

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 29, 2008

firstgurl, hundreds is nothing! Where I am from, each open position receives THOUSANDS of applicants.
    Just keep sending resumes so yours stays on top :)