Undocumented students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Feb 22, 2017.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 23, 2017

Right, that's what I said...that's what FAPE is. The point is that sending kids to school isn't increasing the likelihood that they'll get "caught," which is what I think many parents/families are concerned about. They think the school is documenting their family's status and may report that information to someone else.

Backroads likes this.
  2. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 23, 2017

I am not so sure parents are worried about getting caught at or because of sending their children to school, I think it is being caught and separated from their children.

3. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Feb 23, 2017

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Backroads likes this.
  4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 23, 2017

The messages coming from my district are a result of concerns they're hearing from families. People are worried about it. I have had two parents bring it up to me personally within the past 3 weeks.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 23, 2017

I don't doubt this, what I am saying is, that if people start being swept up, if fear spreads, I really think they will stop sending their kids to school. It won't matter, imo, if raids or info is not coming from or at school. Parents will want their kids at hand if they have to move, one parent is taken in...etc.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 23, 2017

I live in Arizona. I am very worried. It is so sad.

8. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 25, 2017

I'm not really worried about immigration coming to TAKE students from school, but I'm sure some of my students have undocumented parents. All my kids but one were born in the US, but I don't know about their parents. There was one girl at my school who apparently went to Mexico with her family over winter break and couldn't get back into the United States, so that's a bit of a concern.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 25, 2017

I teach in a magnet program within a Title I school. Long story short, my students are all fine, but this is a big concern with the general education population. We had a couple students get deported a couple weeks ago, to a country they hadn't seen since they were infants. How that made our country safer, I'll never be able to tell you.

10. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Feb 26, 2017

Our admin and district have sent us information. We are a santuary district though. I also teach an specialized sciece class for ell students so that might have been why my admin sent us the info. I know they need a very specific specialized subpoena to see student records or be able to get teachers to talk about students. Plus we are not to ask students what their legal status is. I personally am very worried about what might happen to my immigrant students regardless of legal status.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 27, 2017

I thought that parents needed to produce paperwork (birth certificate, SS card, etc.) to enroll students in school. So anyone can enroll their kid in school willy nilly??

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 27, 2017

I think they need to show proof of address and birth certificate where I work.

13. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2017

My son has a foreign birth certificate we used to register him for school. He's a citizen, but there's no way the school would be sure of that.

FERPA, incidentally, would be a pretty minor obstacle to a governmental agency. They might need a subpoena (or might not, depending on how they can justify it under state law). Unless the agency were particularly inept, the first time they came in they would already have what they needed.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2017

I am envisioning scenarios where ICE agents come in and demand to know the whereabouts of Student X. Even if they produce all the appropriate paperwork, I don't believe that I'm going to be willing to turn over my student. I just can't participate in all this.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 2, 2017

Honestly, I don't know if I anticipate it being a huge thing. The Obama administration was extremely tough on illegal immigrants and the school system lived through that. I do know of quite a few adults who were deported during that, but no students.