Undocumented students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2017

Is anyone else concerned about their students without papers? Have your administrators talked to you about what might happen in the coming months and how it might impact you, your students, and their families? Are you concerned that there may be raids or apprehensions at your school?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 22, 2017

I'm sure we have a lot of undocumented students. Probably a lot more parents. No one talked to us, I didn't even think about immigration trying to come to school. Can they? Are people supposed to carry proof that they're citizens, or green card holders? I'm not carrying proof, I'm a citizen, but my passport is at home, and I don't carry my social security card. If I'm at home, there should be a reasonable expectation for me to provide documentation, but not on the street, at school or work.

4. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Feb 22, 2017

I'm a little concerned. I actually think the majority of my Hispanic students were born here (not that it's something I ask them) but I think it might be an issue for a lot of their parents. Two of my 3rd graders were talking the other day and I heard part of the conversation, about how the older sister of one girl shouldn't be going on a trip if she didn't "have her papers." When another student asked what she meant, she said "The papers that say you were born here. I have mine so I'm okay."

My husband immigrated from Europe when he was a kid, and while I know he has his social security card/passport/citizenship papers in our safe, it's not like he carries them with him anywhere. I also wouldn't imagine it would be the best idea to entrust important documents (even copies) to elementary aged kids.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2017

I have no idea who may be undocumented among our students. I highly doubt that immigration services would come to my elementary school.

6. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 22, 2017

very concerned. My district actually reminded us that ICE is (currently) not allowed on district property without a court order. I'm sure that is unless they are there to discuss their own child's progress should they have a child in our schools. I shared this info with my students. Unfortunetly, this is not a new issue for some of our students. I have had some who have had caretakers deported under other administrations. It's just that this is the first time there is the loaded language and other assorted issues connected with it.

I also shared with my seniors that in our state DACA students are (at least as of now) eligible for financial aid, and should talk to their guidance counselor. Some are not aware of this and so don't apply.

Backroads likes this.
  7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 22, 2017

Interesting timing- my superintendent just sent out a message for staff about this today. She sent something out right after the election about how our district will continue to "welcome and serve all children." Today her message said that in light of recent actions and rhetoric against immigrants, she felt the need to "reaffirm" this and make it clear that students' immigration status is not the school district's business. She asked us not to share any information about any student or answer any questions at all, and if asked anything about a student's immigration status, we should contact her immediately.

Backroads likes this.
  8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 22, 2017

I have some students whose parents are in Mexico. They haven't seen them in a while. One visited her mom at Christmas and the other hasn't seen his dad since before school started.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2017

This is very sad. I can't imagine that there would be raids in our school but you never know. I know of people in college who are worried about deportations. It's sad because they are working hard at their degree and they came to the US when they are young.

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 23, 2017

I'm not worried. Our admin has too made it clear all students are welcome, we are in Utah where the rather dominate LDS church has influence and the perspective is family-over-status, and, well, we just have a very big Latino/Hispanic culture that'd be hard to go against. Plus folks have already been tinkering out some bills to officially protect students in the state.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 23, 2017

I am not concerned tha immigration will show up at the school, however I think it is possible with what I have seen so far. What I am truly concerned about is if the fear continues to grow we will simply start noticing a certain amount and ethnicity of students just stop coming to school. Parents will stop sending them if they(the parents) are in fear.

ms.irene and Backroads like this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 23, 2017

What does the law say? Is there anything specific?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 23, 2017

I also believe, that the students need to see that THEIR PARENTS are loved and welcomed in our society. I really believe how we treat their parents impacts how they view our society(and will behave in it) just as much or more than how they themselves are treated. They are going to be extremely hateful, imo, if their parents and older family members are removed, living in fear,...etc.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 23, 2017

My superintendent said there is a supreme court case, Plyer V. Doe, that says schools aren't allowed to deny students FAPE based on immigration status and that based on that case and FERPA it's "not the school's business" to know a student's immigration status and if something is known we're not allowed to give that information to anyone else.

Backroads likes this.
  16. msleep

msleep Rookie

Feb 23, 2017

This case is referencing giving an education to someone. It does not prevent deportation.