Understanding by Design

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, May 12, 2010.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 12, 2010

Has anyone else had this introduced into curriculum planning? I've just finished Day Two of three long inservice days. We are completely realigning our department curriculum and then planning our assignments around them. There's a whole lot of work on essential understandings, which for us are supposed to be what the student should remember about the lesson ten years down the road. It's been exhausting, but I love being on the ground floor of working on the structure of the school year instead of merely following the department's long-time lesson plans.

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

May 13, 2010

UD makes complete sense and I think it's what a lot of us do naturally when teaching. Giving labels to all the parts is what UD does. I like it and I think it's a good refresher for some. All of our teaching needs a big picture with essential questions. Goals and outcomes are what drives our instruction. By laying it all out, in easy to understand language, lesson plans are kept on track and both teachers and students benefit.

4. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 13, 2010

I just finished my first Grad school class and learning how to use UbD was a large part of the class. At the end of the class, I felt a lot better about how to utilize the format, but early on the book was very confusing and hard to follow. Overall, I really think many already plan this way without knowing exactly what they are doing.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 13, 2010

I am going to the ASCD summer conference in Orlando in June. The 4 aspects of the conference are UbD, Curriculum Mapping, What Works in Schools, and Differentiated Lessons. I am excited that 2 of the sessions I am signed up for are given by Wiggins and McTighe who are the designers of UbD. I have been using this method for years and love it.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 14, 2010

After three days of this, I can honestly say that it's an amazing tool if used correctly and guided by the right people. My 12th grade team took all of the state standards and stuck them to the wall by course unit. We then realized we had a bunch of standards we weren't touching AND two weeks with no standards. We put our heads together and created some wonderful new lessons. We also turned a boring narrative writing unit into something fun and extremely vital to their future writing.

The sad thing was I started to explain this to my retired teacher mother and she cut me off, squealing that she hated the concept and almost committed self-defenestration halfway through their attempt. I felt bad for her. They went about it the wrong way and just told her to create an Enduring Understanding without explaining how or why.

7. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 14, 2010

I would love to go to a session with Wiggins and McTighe!

I also think that many already plan this way. As someone else said, UbD labels each part of the process. I was introduced to UbD in my first course of grad school a few years ago. Planning with the end in mind just makes sense. When we are planning this way, we are essentially helping ourselves stay on target and are not adding in meaningless content that is not needed. We plan our instruction to meet specific goals. I have found that when I really plan this way, my lessons / units are much better than before!

8. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 14, 2010

I love UbD! I also took a grad class that focused on this method. It's really exciting that you get to build your curriculum! Congratulations! I'm sure you'll do an outstanding job.