understanding alphabetization?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by helpmom208, Jan 25, 2010.

1. helpmom208

helpmom208 New Member

Jan 25, 2010

my husband and tried to explain alphabetization to our third grader for two hrs. tonight! i'm not sure he ever got the consept. i think we need profesional help!:dizzy:

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 26, 2010

Can he recite the alphabet? If not, that's the place to start.

After that go to www.spellcity.com. You can put in words and there is a game where you alphabetize. Sometimes doing things digitally in this day and age helps. I would start with only alphabetizing things by initial letter. Once that concept is firmly understood, then move on to looking at the second letter.

The biggest problem is you spent 2 hours on it. Anytime you do that, you've turned it into an emotional experience that may produce mental blockage. Try first to start with knowing the ABC song then move to using the computer. Make it fun and short. It's okay not to get it in one night.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2010

Hi and welcome!

I teach high school, but I'll concur with CutNGlue's last point-- two hours is about an hour and a half too long to spend on anything with kids that young.

It's not life and death. So it's not urgent that he get this particular concept today. Once you get past 20 or 30 minutes, it's simply too long; everyone gets frustrated and it's counterproductive.

For what it's worth, my 4th grader still HATES alphabetization. She understands it, but Monday night's homework is always the one she really hates, since she has to alphabetize 20 words. Here's how I used to help her:

I would sit with her, as she had the list of words. She would write out the alphabet. I would ask: "Are there any A's?" If so, she would alphabetize and number the words that started with A. Then it would go on to B and so on. But numbering them really helped. That way, if she missed a word (yeah, I'm a mean mom; I let her make mistakes then fix them :p ) it was fixable; she didn't have to re-write the whole list.

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 3, 2010

Using a highlighter to help focus on the first/second/third letter can help, too, and most 3rd graders are enthusiastic about using highlighters.

6. corney

corney Companion

Feb 4, 2010

I use the spellcity site a lot, you can print the alphabetize sheet as well, I use it as a tool for my daughter to learn her spelling words. Another tool I use is in Excel. I type out all the spelling words, make them large and easy to see, you can use any words. Then I have her select, drag, and drop the words alphabetically to another column. First we start out with the first letter then go back and do the secondary letters etc. She enjoys it because it's computer work which also teaches her how to use Excel.. :D :D Instead of draging and dropping the child could fill the cells with different colors for each beginning letter. These small little exercises seem to go a long way with young kids.. Good luck your son will figure it out.. :)

7. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Feb 9, 2010

This is how I suggest my students do it. It is much easier for them to correct if they forget a word. Of course, some of them don't listen and write them all out. They really hate it when I have them erase and redo!;)