Undermining the teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BestTeachers, Oct 25, 2007.

1. BestTeachers

BestTeachers New Member

Oct 25, 2007

I'm so frustrated. I'm an 8th grade teacher and I hate when parents undermining us. It will not help. We lose respect from the student and we can't teach them, they won't listen they laugh behind our back, they talk back. I'm so embarrassed to even say it. Okay, I'm a "little" overweight and you know children... they can be rude but when i hear a mom to tell his kid that i'm a fat pig... that is really hurtful! Of course they didn't know that i was right behind them. Also they don't know that I've been trying everything to lose weight in the past years and I just stopped at one point and whatever I did I just couldn't lose weight anymore. Now it seems like it's starting to go off, since I've been using this Moscow Meltdown program and I've lost a few pounds in the past two weeks and I'm trying and trying so hard. I really want to prove that I'm worthy of teaching fat or not fat and I want some more respect! Is that too much to ask?
    :help:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2007

No, that's not too much to ask. And I'm sorry that you had to be subjected to that. Weight does not make a good teacher or bad teacher. I would confront the parent. Just let her know that you were behind them when this was said and since then, her student has had a problem focusing on the lessons. She'll be embarrassed that she was caught, and she'll know what effect she had on her student. Kids can be hurtful sometimes, but sometimes it's what they are learning from their parents.

4. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 25, 2007

It sounds like you're more upset at being called fat than undermined. But I hear you. . just remember that many people, perhaps not most but maybe, are very trashy and the apple rarely falls far from the tree.

So while the kid may be young, energetic and full of cockiness now, let genetics and time do its things and in 10-15 years time, you'll come out on top.

Until then, keep doing what you need to do for your health and self esteem and do your job to the best of your ability. If you do that, the respect will come from those whose respect you will value. There will always be people who disrespect you because they don't know any better.

I know this because I'm related to several of these people. :p

5. BestTeachers

BestTeachers New Member

Oct 25, 2007

well...

Well... yeah. It was just painful to hear it from a parent's mouth. I'm not going to be fat for long now!

6. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 25, 2007

Not with that attitude, you're not! ;)

7. BestTeachers

BestTeachers New Member

Oct 25, 2007

Oh no... not only the attitude. But Moscow Meltdown! Finally something that got me out of my weigh loss plateau! :) Life is getting better for me! Anyhow! Thanks for your kind words!